Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #31
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That's amazing, you'd really think this is a grey colored cover.
In any case there's a brown version that is announced over here though not available yet. But I'm happy with my black one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibble View Post
That one's black too, just odd lighting. The first pics I took were too dark and you couldn't see any detail.

Great cover though, glad I managed to get one.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #32
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
To anyone who has tried the DIY magnet method (if you have the kind of cover that folds back on itself, which is pretty much all of them) - how do you stop the magnet from turning the Glo off again when it's folded over? The magnet is going to be in the same place behind the Glo as it was in front of it, no?
markino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #33
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by markino View Post
To anyone who has tried the DIY magnet method (if you have the kind of cover that folds back on itself, which is pretty much all of them) - how do you stop the magnet from turning the Glo off again when it's folded over? The magnet is going to be in the same place behind the Glo as it was in front of it, no?
This happened to me when I was using this method, but I couldn't think of any way to stop it, other than getting a magnet that is just strong enough to work through one layer, but not strong enough to work through two, which is quite an improbable task. I did also have fridge magnet that was only magnetic on one side, which would obviously work, but this particular one wasn't very strong
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #34
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

After a little experimentation with a magnet I had to hand (actually inside my Touch cover), I think it might be possible to do it by sticking the magnet to a smallish piece of steel sheet, both of which go inside the front cover. Then the "magnet side" should trigger the on/off switch, and the steel panel side should suck up the magnetic field once the front panel is flipped around so that it doesn't trigger the on/off switch. I'm not sure how small I can make the steel panel and still have it work, but I would cautiously estimate that it should be possible to do it with a piece no bigger than a 1" square wafer (maybe 1/40th of an inch thick or so). Maybe a lot smaller will do. The main thing is that it's a magnetic material (eg steel).

I'm not sure a weaker magnet will solve the problem by itself, as I'm pretty sure that the magnetic switch is *under* the screen, so if anything the magnet is likely to be closer to it once the cover has been flipped around to the back.

I suppose it might have been easier if Kobo had made the magnetic switch sensitive to only one magnetic pole. Apparently Apple do this.

Ah well. Got a new cover and some mini magnets on the way, so will have a fiddle and report back...
Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #35
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Mine is off-set by the fact that when I fold back the cover there is a slight difference by the thickness (depth) of the reader, resulting in the magnet being slightly higher when the cover is folded back. I've got a new cover on order though so will be able to judge better when that comes in.

As an aside, I've also stuck a piece of felt to the front face of the magnet so that there is no chance of it marking the screen should it come into contact with it any time.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #36
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
This is not an issue with the offical sleepcovers, not sure how they've done that, maybe they put something in the back cover.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #37
markino
Connoisseur

Have received my magnets now. For those in the UK, you can get them here. The leather case I intend to put them in is here, and should be here next week.

After a little experimentation, I found that the smaller magnets I got, despite being very strong for their size (N52), are not strong enough to work the Glo's magnetic switch (but they are only 2x3x0.7mm - in fact they are so small that I can barely pick them up, so they would have been tricky to work with anyway).

However, after further fiddling and testing, I am quite hopeful that sticking one of the larger magnets (N35 neodymium bars 20x5x1mm) to a piece of sheet steel only about 25x10x0.8mm (in other words a couple of mm larger than the magnet all around) should be enough to "shield" the Kobo's magnetic trigger from the back side. So the overall size of the bit that goes in the cover will be 25x10mm, and under 2mm thick.

My plan is to make a small horizontal cut in the leather on the inside of the front cover, and slide the magnet/steel assembly up inside, then apply a little superglue to hold it in place and to reseal the leather. The other method that might work would be to put the steel sheet in the back cover behind the Kobo, but this would involve another cut in the leather cover. I also suspect that putting leather between the magnet and the steel would lessen the steel's efficiency in sucking up the magnetic field, as well as the uncertainty of the magnet and steel lining up perfectly once the front cover is folded around to the back cover (which would probably necessitate making the steel sheet larger to compensate).

On a side note, I'm also going to try to cut off the leather strap/clasp, and instead put two more magnets inside the edge of the front cover to line up with two inside the edge of the "sleeve" that retains the Glo. I don't want a clasp flapping about as I'm reading, and I couldn't find a cover like the one for my Touch that just snaps shut with hidden magnets. Actually, I might also put a couple more on the back side so that the front cover snaps tight to the back cover while I'm reading.

Magnet overkill! But I got ten, so I have to do something with them.

Last edited by markino; 11-10-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:24 AM   #38
markino
Connoisseur

Just a quick warning (esp for those in the UK) not to buy the August Lion leather cover from ebay (which I linked above) - the seller is apparently continuing to advertise these as designed for the Glo with full access to all ports and functions, when they plainly are not designed for the Glo and the feedback shows that the sd slot, light button and perhaps even the power button are occluded by the case.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 AM   #39
markino
Connoisseur

I'm going to give this one and this one a try to see which one works out best.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #40
Kloos
Kloos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo Glo auto/wake sleep cover

This is a good address for colorful magnetic covers:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMART-PU-L...r=520142184419
Kloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #41
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloos View Post
This is a good address for colorful magnetic covers:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMART-PU-L...r=520142184419
or this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Ul...item4174723e6b
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #42
byblo
Traumatized
byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: paper, Kobo Glue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
I got that one. It fits perfectly the Glo

Unfortunately, the magnet was not perfectly placed, so i had to cut the leather to place the magnet properly But once done, its a lovely "sleepcover"
edit: the seller told me they were placing the magnet manually so it may happens...

Was planning to write a topic review about it but not sure anyone will get some interest about it...
byblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #43
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by byblo View Post
I got that one. It fits perfectly the Glo

Unfortunately, the magnet was not perfectly placed, so i had to cut the leather to place the magnet properly But once done, its a lovely "sleepcover"
edit: the seller told me they were placing the magnet manually so it may happens...

Was planning to write a topic review about it but not sure anyone will get some interest about it...
I have that cover and it's become my favorite cover (I have 2 others). I've had no problems with the magnet being in the wrong place, or being too strong that it turns off the reader when you flip the cover back to read, the sleep part has been perfect. The only problem I had was when in the case, the particular USB cable I use is slightly too thick (the black rubber around the connection) to slide into the port, the hard plastic of the case got in the way enough to prevent it being inserted fully. I just used my small cordless Dremel tool and filed down a bit of the plastic around that area and it's been 100% perfect since then.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #44
byblo
Traumatized
byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: paper, Kobo Glue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
... I've had no problems with the magnet being in the wrong place, or being too strong that it turns off the reader when you flip the cover back to read, the sleep part has been perfect.
I had to change its location since the Glo was waking up when i was sliding the cover to the most right side, or twisting it slightly on the 2D plan, which may happen while carrying on a bag.

Never had problem when flipping the cover to the back of the reader while reading, since anyway it seems they placed also a little piece of metal just in front of the magnet, presumably to prevent it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glo custom magnet.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	498.9 KB
ID:	108591  
byblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #45
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
Anyone else that has had an official (rubberised, not leather) sleep cover for a while finding it's just getting "limp"?

The elastic has almost no stretch to it now, and the hinge is too broken in. A few times I have pulled the Glo out of my pocket and the cover has slid far enough for the Glo to wake up.

£25 is a lot for a cover so was hoping that it would last a bit longer than this.

Might just buy a neoprene one anyway, the sleep cover makes the Glo really heavy.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote