Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

Exclamation Android Apps for Students

Well eDGe owners, I'm asking your input on what should be MUST-HAVE apps for high school/college/university students. Considering that the eDGe is marketed to that audience (students and highly-moble multi-tasking business professionals), we should put together a list that will help students utilize their eDGes more IN the classroom and lecture halls instead of simply outside of them. Any apps that help with science or math tutoring would be a big plus, along with economics (apps for utilizing spread sheets, chart plotting, and accounting information).

Some ideas would be apps for:

Plotting Graphs (specifically for the E-reader portion)
Biology and Human Anatomy stuff (interactive animal dissection aids or overlays of the human body for Med-School students)
Sky Charts/Constellation Maps or an Interactive Solar System
Real-Time calorie counter or BMI tracker (for Sports-Medicine students or the health-conscious)
Stopwatch (with optional graphing to see changes in observation---for physical fitness or science labs)
Interactive Periodic Table (with ability to see in-depth information about elements or atoms)
Metric System Converters (for references)
Quick access to the OED!!!
Real-Time access to grammar coaches (for Technical Writing or English Composition)
Spread sheet assistants
Interactive map of the Earth (for Geography/Geology students)

And that's about all I can think of now, but feel free to add what YOU think students of today and tomorrow should have for applications to help them better understand and make full use of the Entourage eDGe Dual-book.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

For OED, there is no app or ebook, so your best bet is subscribing to the OED web site: http://www.oed.com/subscribe/.

For a Periodic Table, check out http://www.freewarelovers.com/androi...able_1.3.1.apk.

Couple of things you didn't mention are enhanced note tracking (BI Notes - nice for accumulating typed notes against a given starting topic) and mind mapping (Thinking Space - useful for sketching out essay structure), both available from the enTourage App Store (you'll need to access these from your eDGe to be able to download and install them.

Last edited by borisb; 09-11-2010 at 06:48 PM.

Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

Cool! Thanks for the info borisb! 8-) As for the OED, just give it time...sooner or later someone will make an app for it somehow.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
fgruber
Edge User

That BI Notes looks interesting. Now if it could run on the eink and accepted handwriting and search....

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
For OED, there is no app or ebook, so your best bet is subscribing to the OED web site: http://www.oed.com/subscribe/.

For a Periodic Table, check out http://www.freewarelovers.com/androi...able_1.3.1.apk.

Couple of things you didn't mention are enhanced note tracking (BI Notes - nice for accumulating typed notes against a given starting topic) and mind mapping (Thinking Space - useful for sketching out essay structure), both available from the enTourage App Store (you'll need to access these from your eDGe to be able to download and install them.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
fgruber
Edge User

Thinking Space is very useful. Specially with the sync capability. I just wished it supported link to files in the nodes. THen I could link to journals, ebooks etc. Would make it very useful for work

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post

Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
cheyennedonna
Edge User

For a good Dictionary there is ColorDict Universal Dictionary - available at AndAppStore
ConvertMe is a god all purpose convertor
Google Translate is good for language classes
Handycalc includes graphing
Math Keyboard allows input of math symbols

Old 09-12-2010, 12:32 AM   #7
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

Would anyone happen to know if Nook Study is any good? My dad recommended it for me and I downloaded it before school started, but when I saw that it only works if you have E-textbooks (none of my classes have digital textbooks, which initially put me at odds with the Entourage eDGe), I deleted it.

I guess if a student DOES have access to E-textbooks it might be useful, but my experience has shown otherwise. 8-(

Old 09-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
jess2727
Edge User

It would be helpful to have an app that made note cards. I have one on my Android phone that I love, but can't figure out how to get it on to my Edge.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2727 View Post
It would be helpful to have an app that made note cards. I have one on my Android phone that I love, but can't figure out how to get it on to my Edge.
What is it called?

Old 09-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
jess2727
Edge User

It is called FlashCards

Old 09-17-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
NiaTrue
Edge User

I'm not sure if this is the same Flashcard application you mentioned, but it seems to work quite well.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #12
miklos.klaar
Edge User

Great Flash Card Program:

http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/showthread.php?1014

Old 09-19-2010, 07:33 AM   #13
janvangastel
Edge User

Quote:
Handycalc includes graphing
But we cannot download it (or I can't find how to do it).

Old 09-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #14
borisb
Edge User

This app may only be available through the Android Marketplace, which the eDGe (and any non-phone Android device) can't access. If you have an Android phone, though, you can download it on your phone, then find and transfer the installation APK file to your eDGe to install.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #15
janvangastel
Edge User

Alas, I have no android phone. Maybe in the future....