Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
tretpls
tretpls began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire HD
Additional storage for Kindle Fire HD 16GB?

Help a newbie out!!! Got a Kindle Fire HD 16gb for Christmas. One of the main things I wanted it for is entertaining my kid on road trips with movies. I read the entire thread from last year, and am completely lost!!! For a simple minded mom like me (although I do understand the Amazon Cloud concept but it doesn't seem to help with movie storage), can you guys please recommend a good option for me? Don't want to spend a fortune, but also want something that is easy to use. Appreciate any advice you can offer.
tretpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
These work

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ston+wi-drives
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Right now on my Fire HD 16 gig I have 6 movies from Amazon & 3 from YouTube 90 mins to 2 hours! Thats in addition to 1,000 ebooks & other junk inc 2 AudioBooks & Yes you can store movies in Cloud but will need to be near a WiFi to down load them onto the Fire... Thankfully ALL McDonalds have Free WiFi!

What more do you Need?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
you can use online storage like Dropbox to store and retrieve media
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fire HD gives you 5 gig for Movies 5 more for eBooks 5 more for Audiobooks 5 more for Music = 20 gigs of storage space FREE in addition to the 16 Gig [not sure how much is usable space] on the Fire HD itself.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I got a couple 64gb wi-drives for our Fires. Three people can be served off one, so they are good for a long flight or drive. They are small, so you can slide one in your fire case. Got mine from Staples.com for $55 each.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Whats a wi-drive?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Whats a wi-drive?
An external hard drive that you can connect to via WiFi so no cables are needed...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ston+wi-drives
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is true, AnemicOak, but it's much more. First, and foremost, it's a server. Up to three people can concurrently stream from the Wi-Drive. Second, it's battery powered, so there are no cables. Third, though it uses your devices radio for communication, your device can use its radio to access the internet.

It's much more fun than I expected and small enough to never leave at home. I can store 40 MP4s on one of these. My wife takes it to dialysis, the kids use it on long car rides, and I'll pocket one when flying.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
wizwor
Wizard

One more thing. The video players that came installed on the fire do not play files bigger than 2g. I installed the mobo player to avoid re-encoding my larger files (I encode for quality not size).
Old 01-06-2013, 02:52 AM   #11
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Another option, although not quite as compact, is the Seagate GoFlex Satellite Drive. It's got 500 GB of storage, as opposed to 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB or 128 GB of the Wi-Drive. I've got one as well as a 32 GB and 64 GB Wi-Drive.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Satell...dp/B004Z0S7K6/
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #12
wizwor
Wizard

Definitely attractive, but I just tossed a dropped GoFlex. Magnetic disks are less durable, use more power, and are much bigger than flash. In this case, quite a bit pricier, too.

That said, this would be nice in the car for a long trip as it also streams to three devices.

Can it stream while charging? Does it require an app?

Last edited by wizwor; 01-06-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

O Cool! Love to have one but soooo expensive... Anyone have one they want to sell LOL Maybe when you upgrade hint hint hint
Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #14
wizwor
Wizard

I only paid $55 for the 64g wi-drives at Staples.com in November, so keep your eyes peeled.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #15
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Definitely attractive, but I just tossed a dropped GoFlex. Magnetic disks are less durable, use more power, and are much bigger than flash. In this case, quite a bit pricier, too.

That said, this would be nice in the car for a long trip as it also streams to three devices.

Can it stream while charging? Does it require an app?
True, but the cost per GB is less.

It does stream while charging, and the battery life is comparable to the Wi-Drive. I do like the Wi-Drive app better, less kludgy than Seagate's app.

I saw on the Kingston site that a 128 GB Wi-Drive is coming soon. That one is tempting . . .
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle fire, storage options