Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 05:41 AM   #31
curio
Enthusiast
curio began at the beginning.

Device: nook Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Do you know about ebookstore purchases? If I buy an ebook from one of the big online stores, are those sections properly formatted? Or will they still look the same?
I've bought a few books from various stores, primarily to check out DRM "compatibility". Those in ePUB or MobiPocket format did generally not have issues regarding line breaks -- I'd find it unacceptable if they had.

In contrast to fully-formatted PDF versions, they are usually very basic in that decorative graphical sub-chapter separators (is there a name for those often floral thingies that are sometimes used?) are usually not present, and neither are maps (if you're into the fantasy genre) or other illustrations. There are exceptions to this rule, though. ePUB and MobiPocket (with subsequent conversion to ePUB via, e.g., Calibre) are still the better choices for the Nook (and most other readers excluding the iPad) due to common limitations with respect to their PDF capabilities.

Some shops let you download/provide you with samples (Amazon being one of them, besides B&N) which will allow you to see a portion of the actual document before you buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
If so, that's a shame. I agree that manually editing and correcting an entire novel (let alone several novels) would be tedious in the extreme.
Agreed. Been there, done that (with an out-of-print and unavailable-as-ebook book). I'm not keen on doing it again.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:43 AM   #32
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Well, it's good to hear the EPUBs from stores are better formatted.

I am, indeed, a fan of Fantasy. I suppose the lack of maps is a minor disappointment, but not a big deal. Unlike a lot of Fantasy readers, I've never really cared for the maps. I suppose they're nice to have, but I don't think I'd really miss them.

Thanks for your response, curio. I appreciate it.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert