Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Introducing the Mentor

I'm doing Nanowrimo this year for the first time (and already terribly behind, work has been INSANE this week) but I'm trying to catch up and I'm running into a real brick wall.

So I've got these two young men... they're about to have their worlds all screwed up, fighting supernatural critters and the like, etc. I want them to have a mentor character (in fact, it's integral to the plot) but as much as supernatural fighting isn't normal, I'd like to keep the 'urban' in this urban fantasy as much as possible. I want to introduce the mentor as someone unknown but need a way to do it that doesn't seem too formulaic or convenient, but also position him so they can trust him rather quickly.

These guys are both in the last year or so of high school, living in the 'normal world,' and have just both been exposed to the fact that the world is very different than they ever imagined. The mentor is someone like them who has had one of their positions before, and can show them the basics, explain things, etc.

Any ideas? I'd try the WriMo forums but searching for 'mentor' is fruitless and it takes so long to get a response.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
These guys are both in the last year or so of high school, living in the 'normal world,' and have just both been exposed to the fact that the world is very different than they ever imagined. The mentor is someone like them who has had one of their positions before, and can show them the basics, explain things, etc.

Quote:
I want to introduce the mentor as someone unknown but need a way to do it that doesn't seem too formulaic or convenient, but also position him so they can trust him rather quickly.
Were the boys on a sports team at school? Maybe the mentor could be a high school boy that graduated a few years before them? Or if he was known to them, the mentor could be their coach?

Writing has so many problems to solve than just writing it.. Have fun and good luck...
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Well, I'm thinking the mentor is much older (60s, maybe?) but I really want to avoid the "mentor has secretly been the teacher secretly watching them" thing. And ideally, someone who isn't secured into the community already.

Thanks for the advice, though!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
How bout an older woman they know about because she either starred in old B movies they watch or does voice-over on video games they play? I dunno--maybe try imagining/writing a conversation you want them to have with your mentor and see if the mentor comes clearer from that.
Good luck!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:47 AM   #5
mpd123
Zealot
mpd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo / samsung note 10.1
hiya,

maybe someone who passes thru the communitylike a salesman or a solitary person who lives outside of town but that they maybe aware of, see him buying supplies etc.

wealthy patron to the school/colleage they attend or in the employ of such a person.

thats all i've got and i'm spent.

cheers,mick.
mpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
In The Phoenix Rising I used the mentor character. She was a crazy old homeless person with a bad heroin addiction. She was just kind of known to the community but ignored. Kind of like that fly on the wall
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote