Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-23-2003, 05:45 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Mac OSX vs Windows XP

I found this interesting very detailed Mac OSX-Windows XP comparison here.

Since I've never used Mac OSX myself, I find the results slightly surprising. DAMN, and I always thought that Win XP was the best OS out there... cough cough.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 05:34 AM   #2
DaNDeE
Connoisseur
DaNDeE began at the beginning.

Device: Newton/iPhone/iPad
At least you belong to those pc users, that dare to look over to the other side... guess, if you would have the choice once more, you would become a real mac user

Btw. has someone figured out how to sync a WinCE PDA with a mac? Only Palms are supported ;(
DaNDeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2003, 10:18 AM   #3
johnsoax
Connoisseur
johnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it is

Device: TT3(Home)&Dell x50(Work)
I finally figured out how to hack my 1996 Mac to run OSX (with a processor upgrade of course). That 400 MHZ machine now screams. It is great.
johnsoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 11:08 AM   #4
eponymous
Enthusiast
eponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austeneponymous has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Sony CLIE PEG-SJ33
Quick and semi-serious reply...

OS X is based on BSD, which is cool
XP is based on NT, which is uncool

... and another thing about XP that bugs me. The default interface, at least in Home and Pro, looks to me like it could be marketed as "Fisher Price My First Desktop". I realize that that is nitpicking and that it is easily changeable for those likely to care.

All that being said the machines I use daily at work are W2K and WXP and the system at home that sees the most use on a daily basis by myself and others is WXP (though I often use my FreeBSD box). I've never owned a Mac, but what I have seen of OS X impresses me. I was like the proverbial "kid in a candy store" when I first played around with my friend's Powerbook G4... "sendmail?! Cool! bash prompt?! Cool! cron?! Cool! gcc?! Cool!" You get the picture...

What I really would like to drop into my environment is an XServe...
eponymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 01:00 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Looks like here are some ppl giving other os' a chance. I am impressed.

At first I was really impressed by Aqua, but due to millions of webpages covering that style, I am fed up with it. You are right: XP looks quite like some fisher price thingy to make littel kids go wild. Reminds me little of Apples Gizmo theme, which was literaly spoken, a real joke.

Anyway, I am still looking for people with Mac and WinCE Experiece... PocketMac can´t be the only solution, right?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2003, 01:30 PM   #6
brahamt
Groupie
brahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
I love the new Mac OS X 10. In terms of usability in blows away XP. But I have been a long time PC user and here is the problem with moving to a Mac.

I have a friend who has a Mac. I keep telling him about this game or that piece of software I found. He then tells me later that he tried to find it but there is no Mac version.

In terms of software availability, PCs are still better for most things.
brahamt is offline   Reply With Quote