Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
EnginerdLisa
EnginerdLisa began at the beginning.

Device: none
DIY Kindle Case

My Kindle arrives on Tuesday (according to the shipping tracker). I am already convinced I want to make a custom case for it. Partly because I want it to suit my personality, partly because I am crafty like that and a little bored. For those of you that have made your own what do you use to stiffen it? I'm thinking either cardboard or plastic needlepoint mesh, but I'm worrid that neither will be sturdy enought to truly protect my device.

Any tips?
EnginerdLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It seems to me that people are mostly adapting a cover from something else for use with a Kindle. Day Planner or similar sized note book covers seem be the most conversion friendly.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Normally I am partial to plexiglas ... but it is brittle . For screen protection I would go with hobby board rather than cardboard. Not brittle, good protection; and can be made water reistant with paint.

Given that you will cover it, consider that if the cover does get damp ... the cardboard could swell or disintegrate.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Masonite is another possibility, but it also disintegrates in moisture and is rather heavy. PVC can be bought in sheets at hobby stores, but PVC can shatter. You can get ABS in sheet form at different thicknesses, and it's shatter-resistant, but you may have a hard time finding reasonable sized sheets except online, when you might have to buy a huge 4x8' sheet. I would suggest checking a framing store for shatter-resistant plastic used in picture frames (probably acrylic). This is most important for a panel to protect the front, especially the screen. Even if you use some kind of folder like a day planner, you might want to tuck a rectangle of shatter-resistant plastic (or sealed hobby board, as Ricky suggests) into the front to protect the screen.

MAKE magazine had an article about making an iPod case from carbon fiber and resin in Volume 9. You might find it helpful for your purposes, though I wouldn't rely on fiber and resin to protect the screen.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote