Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-16-2008, 04:02 AM   #1
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

Safari Books Online

http://safari.oreilly.com/

I use this a lot and love it apart from the fact that I cannot read the books offline.

I think with the latest firmware the Sony can enable this offline support, see email below.

If you like this idea, please send similar requests to

bookquestions@oreilly.com

Mark

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Sony PRS-505 reader which supports the Epub format.

It would be great if you could download a book to this device and read it offline (train etc)
I understand the objections because you also want people to buy the print copy or not have the book after membership expires.

However I believe that Epub supports a borrowed model, where you could expire the book after x number of days.

So if you had a number of book download tokens per membership month and then expired the book after a time period on the device this would work really well for offline readers...

What do you think !

Mark
------------------------------------------------------------------------
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
They have an initial batch of 30 books in EPUB with more (hopefully) coming.
http://toc.oreilly.com/2008/07/30-or...k-bundles.html
I've bought one and it looks pretty nice.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
markiehill
Connoisseur

yeah I saw that, but what I want them to support is the bookshelf on the PRS505, I pay £24.99 a month for access to all the books on the bookshelf but you can only read them online or download a chapter to PDF.

The reason that they have always given for not allowing you to download a whole book is that you never own the book , you are renting access....

So..... my thinking is that the sony reader can become an extension of your bookshelf (a bit like the library concept).

Mark
Old 08-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by markiehill View Post
So..... my thinking is that the sony reader can become an extension of your bookshelf (a bit like the library concept).

Mark
Yes, They could use the Adobe DRM to expire the book each month. You would have to renew the book in order to use it on the reader the next month.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
arvindg
arvindg began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Agreed!

Yes, this would be killer for the Safari Bookshelf service! I certainly hope they are considering going this route.

I sent an email to booktech@oreilly.com asking for this.

Last edited by arvindg; 08-19-2008 at 04:59 PM.
arvindg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
markiehill
Connoisseur

I have a new email address and an answer !

customer-service@safaribooksonline.com

Personally i think we should keep pushing it, I am not sure they quite understand :O)

Hello Mark,

Thank you for taking time to write us.

We are sorry to inform you that currently Safari do not have any e-reader that will read the book to the user. Our product development team is always aiming to stay in-touch and on par with the newest technology. We appreciate your inputs and suggestions to make Safari more users friendly. However, we will not be able to give any guarantees of out the come of your inputs or suggestions.

Unfortunately, at this time we cannot provide you with any other solutions. If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail anyone of us on the Safari Customer Service team.

Regards,

Murali
Customer Service
Safari Books Online, LLC