Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #16
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Three that I enjoyed the most were:

The Third Man by Graham Greene
Otley Victorious by Martin Waddell
Dracula by Bram Stoker
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:45 AM   #17
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

followed by Harry Potter.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:50 AM   #18
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
In no particular order:

Chronicles of Narnia,
Lord of the Rings,
Ender's Game,
Dune
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #19
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
House of Spirits by Isabelle Allende
and
The Magician by Raymond Feist

Those 2 are the ones I re-read more often than others.
I JUST started reading "House of Spirits", I'm glad to see it's someone's favourite.

As for my favourite, I'm going to have to go with "Spring Snow" by Yukio Mishima. Unfortunately, I've been unable to find it in e-book format. I have quite a few runners up, "favourites" are always a tough choice for me.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:00 AM   #20
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
I have two favourites.
Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen.
Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte.

Slan
Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #21
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
far to difficult to make a choice .... tastes change from year to year ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:08 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I don't really have a favourite. But if I had to chose one, and basing that on the amount of times read, I'd have to pick the Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. I seem to read that book at least once a year and have done so for a long time now...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #23
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
wow, I've no idea, it would fall to one of these probably

The Chronicles of Amber
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
The Honor Harrington series
Dune
The Empire of Man series

or one of several others ...
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
One.
Just one...
I'm tempted to say Heinlein's BEYOND THIS HORIZON, or Niven&Pournelle's OATH OF FEALTY... DUNE, THE MOON IS A HARSH MISTRESS, ERB's THE RIDER... or Bujold's A CIVIL CAMPAIGN...

But I'll go for THE MOTE IN GOD'S EYE on grounds of all-around goodness; memorable characters, fascinating theme, narrative structure and pacing... drama and entertainment value...

They even got pocket computers right... in a book from the early 70's. :-)

If I had to recommend *one* book to somebody, that would be it.

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-17-2010 at 01:30 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #25
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
The Lord Of The Rings.
I have reread it twice a year ever since my dad first read it out loud to my siblings and I when I was 6. No other book, movie, game or any other type of media has ever captured me the way The Lord Of The Rings did.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #26
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I JUST started reading "House of Spirits", I'm glad to see it's someone's favourite.

As for my favourite, I'm going to have to go with "Spring Snow" by Yukio Mishima. Unfortunately, I've been unable to find it in e-book format. I have quite a few runners up, "favourites" are always a tough choice for me.
Yeah, Spring Snow is a great book. Have you read the complete tetralogy: Spring Snow, Runaway Horses, The Temple of Dawn, and The Decay of the Angel? If not you really should, all are equally good. Again if you have not I don't want to give to much away, but the end of the last book in the series is just great, calling into question the line between dreams and reality.

My favorites would have to be:

Fiction: Seven Japanese Tales by Junchiro Tanizaki

Non-fiction: Civilisation by Kenneth Clark.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #27
crash1211
crash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600, Entourage Edge, Nook Simple Touch, iPad2, Kindle 4
In no particular order.
All Quiet on the Western Front
Lord of the Rings
Dune
Catch 22
Heart of Darkness
Foundation series
crash1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #28
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Let me know what you think of it.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #29
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plaith
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #30
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I don't really have one single one to list, but a few I'd put right up there are:

Lord of the Rings- J.R.R. Tolkien
Into the Wild- Jon Krakauer
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas- Hunter S. Thompson
Fight Club- Chuck Palahniuk (Survivor and Invisible Monsters are right there as well)
High Fidelity-Nick Hornby
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote