Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #16
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
The problem is that Amazon equates sales with literacy, whereas the opposite might well be true:

The best-read people (whatever that means) might get the heft of their grist from -- need I spell it? -- specialty ebook sites, Overdrive's service, and repositories of superior craftspersonship like the Patricia Clark Memorial Library at Ye Olde Mobile Read.

Then, too, many literate people I know are already drowning in stacks of backlog and are unlikely to be piling on more.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Then, too, many literate people I know are already drowning in stacks of backlog and are unlikely to be piling on more.
That hasn't stopped me!
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
That hasn't stopped me!
But has it slowed you down?

I am gradually exercising more restraint (or maybe less abandon).
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Amazon's 3rd Annual Most Well-Read Cities in America - 2013

1. Alexandria, VA
I know I helped my home city win this one!!!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #20
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
But has it slowed you down?

I am gradually exercising more restraint (or maybe less abandon).
Yeah, I don't reflexively snatch up freebies the way I used to.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #21
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I noticed that IL and WI are both absent from the lists. OH and other nearby states have listings but not IL or WI. Some of us do read though. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #22
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
The Amazon survey contradicts the findings of another website:

http://www.davidmixner.com/2013/02/w...te-people.html

Newspaper circulation, education level and number of bookstores as a function of population would seem to be better indicators of literacy. I would certainly put Washington, D.C. above Miami, FL, in any comparison. Any survey that is missing Minnesota, and Minneapolis, in particular, is highly suspect. Minnesota ranks #1 in the U.S. with the highest average SAT score (1778). Think about that when deciding where to live, or raise a child.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
The Amazon survey contradicts the findings of another website:

http://www.davidmixner.com/2013/02/w...te-people.html

Newspaper circulation, education level and number of bookstores as a function of population would seem to be better indicators of literacy. I would certainly put Washington, D.C. above Miami, FL, in any comparison. Any survey that is missing Minnesota, and Minneapolis, in particular, is highly suspect. Minnesota ranks #1 in the U.S. with the highest average SAT score (1778). Think about that when deciding where to live, or raise a child.
They know how to read in Washington D.C.? We're doomed. Seriously sometimes I wonder how literate our government leaders really are with how big a mess things are in. But that's a topic for another forum.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #24
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I'm suspicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Amazon's 3rd Annual Most Well-Read Cities in America - 2013

1. Alexandria, VA
  2. Knoxville, TN
  3. Miami, FL
  4. Cambridge, MA
  5. Orlando, FL
  6. Ann Arbor, MI
  7. Berkeley, CA
  8. Cincinnati, OH
  9. Columbia, SC
  10. Pittsburgh, PA
  11. St. Louis, MO
  12. Salt Lake City, UT
  13. Seattle, WA
  14. Vancouver, WA
  15. Gainesville, FL
  16. Atlanta, GA
  17. Dayton, OH
  18. Richmond, VA
  19. Clearwater, FL
  20. Tallahassee, FL

Previous Years
Florida is the most represented state in the list. I suspect much of that traffic comes from tourists buying books for the inevitable 'downtime' of tourism and thereby 'stealing' sales from their home cities to the benefit of the host city.

I wonder if Floridians need to 'spruce up' some of their attractions? What tourist destination wants to be known as a great place to get some reading done?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #25
LovesMacs
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Florida is the most represented state in the list. I suspect much of that traffic comes from tourists buying books for the inevitable 'downtime' of tourism and thereby 'stealing' sales from their home cities to the benefit of the host city.
This depends on the methodology that Amazon uses. Is the purchase location based on the home address of the Amazon customer, or is it determined by the IP address used when initiating the transaction? The second method may vary much more than the first method.