Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #331
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
OK, I think I'm misunderstanding Elfwreck's post.

Nah, LIT is more deader than mobi.
LIT has become ePub. So it's not really dead. It's just upgraded.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #332
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If Adobe was to get out of the DRM business, you could still be screwed. If you needed to buy a new system drive because your current one is dying or has died. You buy a new computer to replace your old one...You lose the key to the ePub.

Look at Mobipocket. When I last upgraded my desktop computer, I tried to move the PID to the laptop. It was a big failure. The PID is tied into the computer. Sure, I was able to strip the DRM no problem. But if you aren't able to strip DRM, consider your eBooks dead.

Stripping the DRM is the only way I can be assured my eBooks will be usable in the future. I have not registered my 650 with Adobe because it never gets an eBook on it with DRM. They go through Calibre with has the plugins to remove the DRM. It's a seamless process.
Yeah, I didn't realize Adobe's DRM scheme required activation of a computer or a call home at all - I guess because I'm more familiar with B&N's variant (which relies on the CC number the book was sold/downloaded with).

I don't read any books until I strip the DRM and I almost never buy it. This is why I don't understand Adobe epub that well (my wife uses a Kindle and I strip DRM from B&N epubs) I was just trying to continue to answer the question from two pages ago that started this discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Why would something like this attract the average consumer? I have never had a problem with DRM, why would I want to go out of my way to avoid it? Why would most people who only had one brand of eReader and who weren't pirates?
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #333
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
How much support is there for the secure eReader format? Is that dying also?
Fictionwise still sells eReader format. But really, it's dead and unless you can strip the DRM & convert it, it's fairly useless.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #334
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Yeah, I didn't realize Adobe's DRM scheme required activation of a computer or a call home at all - I guess because I'm more familiar with B&N's variant (which relies on the CC number the book was sold/downloaded with).

I don't read any books until I strip the DRM and I almost never buy it. This is why I don't understand Adobe epub that well (my wife uses a Kindle and I strip DRM from B&N epubs) I was just trying to continue to answer the question from two pages ago that started this discussion:
If you have ADE on your computer and registered and you have the DRMed ePub as well, as long as your computer works, you can open the eBooks in ADE.

One thing I am not sure of is if you need the DRM server to say register a reader that has ADE on it. But if the reader was register before the DRM servers when down, you'd still be able to put the eBooks on the reader.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #335
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Fictionwise still sells eReader format. But really, it's dead and unless you can strip the DRM & convert it, it's fairly useless.
But, they haven't added any new secure eReader books in months have they?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:55 AM   #336
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
But, they haven't added any new secure eReader books in months have they?
Goodness — you're right. They haven't released any new Secure eReader ebooks since May.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:07 AM   #337
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To return to the original topic of this thread: where is the announced DRM-free bookstore? Selling your books in other companies' stores is rather different to having your own store!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:19 AM   #338
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To return to the original topic of this thread: where is the announced DRM-free bookstore? Selling your books in other companies' stores is rather different to having your own store!
No announcement yet, still in the works.
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #339
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The plan is to open their own store at the end of summer. Not sure when summer ends where they are though.

I think they always said that DRM Free and their own store were 2 seperate projects (and they obviously needed to lose the DRM before opening the store or you would need a buch of useless code for linking to adobe for the download).
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #340
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
I think that DRM is an issue for a very small number of people, probably most of them geeks.
Most of them are people with large ebook collections. The same people who, as Charlie Stross points out, purchase most genre midlist titles. The most obvious groups are romance readers and sf readers, both of whom read widely, borrow widely, buy widely, reread a lot, and have been early adopters of ebooks and ereaders. The longer you've been reading digitally, the larger your collection and the more of an issue DRM becomes--portability, control, etc, become factors.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #341
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
The site still says 'Coming Summer 2012'. Has anyone heard any updates/rumors over the past year? Delayed by the Big6 settlement, perhaps?
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote