Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
GreenE
GreenE began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Turning on Index feature in Menu

I am looking for some help in creating a feature I've never used before in creating books for Kindle.

I am working on developing a way to better navigate a Bible and I want to use the Index feature that appears when you select the "Menu" button on a Kindle. I've only seen it on a few books and was wondering if anyone here knows how to activate that function and if it requires special coding.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
GreenE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
AFAIK, the Index feature is only available if the book publisher added an Index guide item (and the corresponding content) to a .mobi book. I.e., you'll have to create an index .html page and add a reference to it in the guide section of the .opf file. For example:
PHP Code:
<guide>
    <!-- 
more guide items-->
    <
reference type="index" title="Index" href="Index.xhtml"/>
    <!-- 
more guide items-->
</
guide

Last edited by Doitsu; 04-06-2012 at 04:50 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Touch
not sure whether or not the following will be helpful, but:

here's an ipc-set-prop option:
Quote:
com.lab126.indexer
r Int numberOfItemsToBeIndexed [0]
r Str pauseIndexerTillTimeMilliseconds [-1]
w Str pauseIndexerSourceMilliseconds
w Int pauseIndexerMilliseconds
w Int dumpIndexerState
w Str indexAndSearchContent
that "indexAndSearchContent" looks like it suits your needs.
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
GreenE
GreenE began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Not showing up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
AFAIK, the Index feature is only available if the book publisher added an Index guide item (and the corresponding content) to a .mobi book. I.e., you'll have to create an index .html page and add a reference to it in the guide section of the .opf file. For example:
PHP Code:
<guide>
    <!-- 
more guide items-->
    <
reference type="index" title="Index" href="Index.xhtml"/>
    <!-- 
more guide items-->
</
guide
I tried that, but when I convert it to Kindle, it doesn't show up as an option when I select the "menu" button. Does anyone know if this something that must be done in the native Kindle files?
GreenE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenE View Post
I tried that, but when I convert it to Kindle, it doesn't show up as an option when I select the "menu" button.
AFAIK, the Index guide item works fine with KindleGen, but Calibre seems to ignore it during conversion.
Did you use Calibre by any chance? If so try to convert your book with KindleGen or the Kindle Previewer.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You're talking about dictionary formatting. Section seven of the Kindle Publishing Guidlelines.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
index, indexing search