Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2013, 03:48 AM   #436
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
One thing I would like to see in a new firmware would be related to the Japanese font. The current embedded font is Ryumin and it is really really thin. So when looking up a word in the dictionary, it is so small it is difficult to read.
So a bigger/thicker/... font would be good
So the Mini does not have Gothic MB101? This font is much bolder and bigger than Ryumin and looks nice, at least at the Touch. If you would like to install it, you might be interested in the posts starting with this post.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #437
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
So the Mini does not have Gothic MB101?
Silly me I don't remember trying that one.
You're absolutely right! The Mini has this font and it works very well. Also, if I'm reading a book with Gothic MB101, the dictionary will use it as well. Somehow, I thought the dictionary fonts were not related to the book...
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:40 AM   #438
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
feature request

It would be nice to have a feature that other brands have, namely to have the option of selecting as boot up image the last page one was reading when powering off the device. In this way, instead of seeing the pixel face on boot-up, you would read the last page you opened. So when you are done with your reading for the day, just go one page forward and power off, and on the next power on you will be reading your book. Of course after bootup you should be directed to your book, not the welcome menu.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:44 AM   #439
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
It would be nice to have a feature that other brands have, namely to have the option of selecting as boot up image the last page one was reading when powering off the device. In this way, instead of seeing the pixel face on boot-up, you would read the last page you opened. So when you are done with your reading for the day, just go one page forward and power off, and on the next power on you will be reading your book. Of course after bootup you should be directed to your book, not the welcome menu.
Very nice indeed! If this is added I might start switching my device off instead of sleeping it... I hate waiting for the startup to happen before I can start reading!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:53 AM   #440
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Very nice indeed! If this is added I might start switching my device off instead of sleeping it... I hate waiting for the startup to happen before I can start reading!
I've just posted it here, you never know
Old 02-15-2013, 04:07 AM   #441
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
It would be nice to have a feature that other brands have, namely to have the option of selecting as boot up image the last page one was reading...
Nice feature, but I'm afraid it would bring new severe bugs, as they have not even able to fix the issue (that appeared with v2.0) about displaying the cover of the current book...
When the Kobo boots up, it (tries to refresh the books database. If, meanwhile, it has to display the last book's content, I think it will crash or become unresponsive even more often than now...
So, please, first fix the current bugs, try to optimize algorithms for some more speed, but don't bring us new bells and whistles...
Francois_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #442
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois_C View Post
Nice feature, but I'm afraid it would bring new severe bugs, as they have not even able to fix the issue (that appeared with v2.0) about displaying the cover of the current book...
When the Kobo boots up, it (tries to refresh the books database. If, meanwhile, it has to display the last book's content, I think it will crash or become unresponsive even more often than now...
So, please, first fix the current bugs, try to optimize algorithms for some more speed, but don't bring us new bells and whistles...
Personally, I say yuck. I want to watch the device boot so I know it is working.

But, it would be easy to handle at code level. They just need to use the same name for the page image all the time.

As to the cover image bug, you are wrong. The Kobo developers have fixed it each time. They have just found another way to break the cover display. I can't wait to try 2.4.0 to see what clever way they broke it this time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #443
DarthV
Enthusiast
DarthV began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
New Glo owner and haven't had the time to read 30 pages in this thread. Here are my "I've owned this for 4 hours" feature requests.

1. Why does it take so long to process side loaded content? On my Nook Touch, I think it takes 15mins to load all my books. Took over 80mins on the Glo. This was using the freshly formatted 16gb microsd card from the Nook. Could well be an issue with Calibre (??). Then hung 3-4 times while processing after that. Out of the 4 hours of ownership, I've only read 10 pages because of how long it took until I was able to open a book.

2. And why can't we have the option to remove the footer? Or to make it much smaller. Last time I checked, the packaging mentions that it's a 6" reader. We're losing quite a bit of real estate! Add it in as an advanced option or something, let us make the decision.
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:56 AM   #444
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Personally, I say yuck. I want to watch the device boot so I know it is working.
what used to happen with my previous device was: upon switching on, the "off" screensaver would be substituted by the last page you were reading in a book (so you'd know the device was waking up); and upon finishing the boot the image you were reading would be replaced by the book, giving you the feel of a page refresh (which I guess in a way it is what it was). So you'd know all was being well.

Anyhow, of course different people have different needs and tastes - this is why I said "option" though I am not sure this argument will convince you
Old 02-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #445
Urdu
Enthusiast
Urdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma
I 've just installed firmware 2.4 on my Kobo Glo and using it for an hour or so. So far everything seems to run smoothly. Still there are some options I dearly miss in the current software version:

1. Library Navigation: In firmware 2.1.5 one could open an epub from a shelve, read some pages and return to that same shelve in the same position with 1 click! Somehow this function is removed and now you have to navigate through the main screen to the shelves menu, choose a shelve and search for the same position you were in. That's too complicated. If you have to switch between a lot of epubs for research or for other reasons you'll have a hard time doing so. Please, bring this function back. One way to do it is to change the upper left Home button into a drop-down menu with navigation options: main screen, shelves, etc.

2. Epub Navigation: Move that tiny horizontal navigation bar on the bottom of the screen to the right: a vertical slider from top to bottom, from the beginning of the book to the end. It represents a more natural way of searching and it will give the user more room to navigate. If that bar could come with chapter markers it would be an even more useful tool to navigate within a book.

3. Annotations: It's great that we can make them but we need some simple ways to get 'm out of the device. Not only for kepubs but for epubs too! Even a simple save to a txt file would be fine. If you can't get your annotations out of the device what's the use of making them anyway.

4. Dictionaries: The non English dictionaries are too limited and restricted in their usability. If this is a question of legal rights I for one would like to pay extra for high quality dictionaries with no user restrictions.

5. Pictures: For epubs with pictures, drawings and statistics, a zoom function is indispensable.
Urdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #446
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Anyhow, of course different people have different needs and tastes - this is why I said "option" though I am not sure this argument will convince you
I completely approve of options. But I wouldn't use this one. My sleep settings are to not power off. I rarely power of. The only times I do is when there is a problem. In those case, I am not interested in reading something while it boots.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #447
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urdu View Post
I 've just installed firmware 2.4 on my Kobo Glo and using it for an hour or so. So far everything seems to run smoothly. Still there are some options I dearly miss in the current software version:

1. Library Navigation: In firmware 2.1.5 one could open an epub from a shelve, read some pages and return to that same shelve in the same position with 1 click! Somehow this function is removed and now you have to navigate through the main screen to the shelves menu, choose a shelve and search for the same position you were in. That's too complicated. If you have to switch between a lot of epubs for research or for other reasons you'll have a hard time doing so. Please, bring this function back. One way to do it is to change the upper left Home button into a drop-down menu with navigation options: main screen, shelves, etc.
The biggest loss to usability on the device that Kobo have made. This was actually in 2.3.1 and might have in 2.2.1. My suggestion has been to leave the home icon and add the back next to it as a breadcrumb type navigation. Doing this on the Touch is a problem as it has a search icon in the top left corner. Putting the previous/back button next to it isn't quite as logical.
Quote:
3. Annotations: It's great that we can make them but we need some simple ways to get 'm out of the device. Not only for kepubs but for epubs too! Even a simple save to a txt file would be fine. If you can't get your annotations out of the device what's the use of making them anyway.
The annotations for epubs are stored in the database and a file. There is discussion here on how to get the file and use it.
Quote:
5. Pictures: For epubs with pictures, drawings and statistics, a zoom function is indispensable.
Yes please. All those maps at the beginning of fantasy novels are just to small.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:09 AM   #448
paola
Wizard

Quote:
My sleep settings are to not power off. I rarely power of.
yes, I must start doing that, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urdu View Post
tshering has made a utility that extracts them in a txt file, see here

But definitely work reading what is said on annotations - for instance, you may find this thread useful.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #449
Urdu
Enthusiast
Urdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma
Quote:
tshering has made a utility that extracts them in a txt file, see here
But definitely work reading what is said on annotations - for instance, you may find this thread useful.
Quote:

The annotations for epubs are stored in the database and a file. There is discussion here on how to get the file and use it.
Thanks Paola and Davidfor for the info!
I'm a Mac user, so I can't use the app that tshering made.
The Calibre option that Davidfor made maybe limited but it is useful because at least it gives the user access to the annotations he made on the device. As I've read the annotions threads I now know that it's not that easy to get access to and fiddle with the annotations data on the Kobo. Still this should not be an issue for the average Kobo user. Kobo should implement an easy way to get the kepub and epub annotations out and back in. Otherwise this annotation option is just a toy instead of a tool.
Urdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #450
BookBunny
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏'\(⊙ ヮ⊙ )
BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Glo™
I'd like a shelf-like "folder" view that sorts books by the folders they're in on the SD card. That way I could sort my books on the PC and just pop in the card when I'm done.

Or at least a filter for "unshelved" books. Sorting newly added books on the device is a PITA, and I don't like how Calibre puts them on the SD card, so making shelves with it isn't really an option.

Oh and a custom "powered off" image option would be nice too. Not that I mind the kobo emoticon, it's pretty cute.

Last edited by BookBunny; 02-18-2013 at 10:32 AM.
BookBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo