Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Keeps crashing - any ideas?

My PB 360 keeps crashing so I'm not a happy puppy

I was thinking perhaps I need to upgrade or downgrade the firmware...but I don't even know which version I have installed. How does one go about finding that out?
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:17 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
I don't even know which version I have installed. How does one go about finding that out?
Main menu, preferences, about device.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 04:41 AM   #3
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Mine crashed, and spontaneously rebooted itself every 10-20 pages on firmware version 15.2. Since installing 15.3, I haven't had a single problem.

Good luck!
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:18 AM   #4
Kameli
Connoisseur
Kameli began at the beginning.

Device: none
My PB360 came with software version D101.14.2 and I have never updated. In half year and 50+ books it has crashed once and even that was when I was jumping in menus rather than when reading book. I am extremely happy of stability and I doubt I will ever update the software since I don't really see any problems with this version and really don't want to take even slightest risk with stability.
Kameli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:48 AM   #5
davebalme
Enthusiast
davebalme began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Ipad, Kobo Wireless, Archos 70b & 80G9. And a Kobo Arc
Mine is running on 14.2 and is a year old. I've only suffered one crash and that was whilst I was on holiday. It's currently getting used daily while travelling to and from work. I'm that impressed with the build of the reader & the stability of the firmware that I'm currently weighing up the cost of an IQ.
davebalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm with 14.2 and will NOT update it with any flaky newer updates.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
IndecisiveMe
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm with 14.2 and will NOT update it with any flaky newer update.
From what I've seen in the past three or so weeks that I've been using 15.3 it's not "flaky" at all. In fact, I'd go so far as to say FOR ME it's better than 14.2.

14.2 froze for me no less than four times in three weeks, requiring a reset with the reset button. I know it's incredibly stable for some people, but it's not stable for all people.

I've not had a single problem with 15.3 and there are added features which I like. It's a matter of preference.

But, as you say, if 14.2 is perfect FOR YOU, then don't change it.

The OP hasn't said what he/she's using yet, and also suggested it might be a firmware thing, that's where the firmware update suggestions have come from.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:08 AM   #8
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

The OP is rather clueless and can't quite figure it out. When I look in the About Device thingy, it says Software Version: W101.15.1

Whatever that is..... I also just read the instructions for the changing the firmware and it looks rather difficult. Especially as I don't have an SD card. Can one not do it via USB?

I'm getting really sick of the crashes and starting to think I should've bought a Sony. Any ideas on how to stop it crashing?
Old 10-13-2010, 05:44 AM   #9
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
You have the 15.1 version, which is very unstable. It is no wonder that your device crashes very frequently. However, as stated, a firmware upgrade (or downgrade) will probably solve the issue. Be sure to look for versions 15.3 or 14.2, the rest are simply not going to solve your problem.

If you don't have an SD card available, you can still do the update. You'll have to follow the updating instructions, but instead of copy-pasting the new firmware file inside the SD card, you'll have to paste it in the reader itself. The procedure is not really hard: once you have the firmware update file in your reader, just switch it off, and then on again. When the switch-on logo appears, press the center button and the upper wing button at the same time and keep them pressed. A command screen will appear soon, and you'll just have to follow the instructions from there.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
grimo1re
Geekette

Thanks for the instructions, but you'll have to dumb it down more I'm afraid. I'm normally pretty Okay with gadgets but the PB eludes me. When I plug it in, I don't actually have access to it. A little red light comes on and that's it. I must've had access in the past as I put a few books on it but I can't see it popping up on my computer now.

Also, when you say 'paste in your reader' where exactly? Is there a specific folder? Do I need to unzip it?
Old 10-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #11
grimo1re
Geekette

Hmmm well I've sort of answered my own questions By sticking it in a different USB port it came up on the computer. Is that normal? I mean, there seem to be 2 modes when it's connected to the USB cable: charging and communicating. I just have no idea how to switch between them.

Anyway, it's got 14.2 installed now. Fingers crossed that this fixed the problem....
Old 10-13-2010, 11:46 PM   #12
IndecisiveMe
Addict

Yes, if you attached it via USB to your computer it's normal for it to be seen by your computer. That's how you transfer your books across.

There is a setting in the main settings of the PB that allows you to choose what happens when you plug your PB in. You can get it to charge, Link to PC or get it to ask you to choose which one you want every time. I have it selected to choose every time.

Good luck, I hope 14.2 works perfectly for you!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #13
grimo1re
Geekette

Well, it's crashed only once so far so that's a HUGE improvement! Thanks everybody for your help!
Old 10-15-2010, 06:02 AM   #14
davebalme
Enthusiast
davebalme began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Ipad, Kobo Wireless, Archos 70b & 80G9. And a Kobo Arc
Glad you got 14.2 successfully installed and hope the 360 gives you many, many hours of enjoyable reading.
davebalme is offline   Reply With Quote