Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 02:59 AM   #1
walters291
walters291 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Conversion Problems

I am trying to convert from Lit to Txt on my Kindle2. I keep getting a conversion error. It's telling me it's not a valid lit file. Is there a way to correct this? I am sending calibre conversion error info. I have hundreds of books that are exactly like this one. I would hate to lose them all. Any help would be greatful. Thank you Tami Walers

calibre, version 0.8.8
ERROR: Conversion Error: <b>Failed</b>: Convert book 1 of 1 (Angela Knight - Vampire Dreams 01)

Convert book 1 of 1 (Angela Knight - Vampire Dreams 01)
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 0.8.8
{'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 0.0,
'book_producer': None,
'change_justification': u'justify',
'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part|prologue|epilogue\\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
'chapter_mark': u'pagebreak',
'comments': None,
'cover': None,
'debug_pipeline': None,
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'disable_font_rescaling': False,
'enable_heuristics': True,
'extra_css': None,
'fix_indents': True,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'force_max_line_length': True,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'inline_toc': False,
'input_encoding': u'utf-8',
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.KindleInput object at 0x0570C030>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_metadata': True,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_color': False,
'keep_image_references': False,
'keep_ligatures': True,
'keep_links': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0.0,
'linearize_tables': True,
'margin_bottom': 5.0,
'margin_left': 5.0,
'margin_right': 5.0,
'margin_top': 5.0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_line_length': 0,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
'newline': u'system',
'no_chapters_in_toc': True,
'no_inline_navbars': False,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.KindleOutput object at 0x0570C290>,
'page_breaks_before': u"//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']",
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'pretty_print': False,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': u'c:\\users\\home\\appdata\\local\\temp\\calibre_0 .8.8_tmp_rqknsx\\calibre_0.8.8_8ozztg.opf',
'remove_fake_margins': True,
'remove_first_image': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': True,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': u'',
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'smarten_punctuation': True,
'sr1_replace': None,
'sr1_search': None,
'sr2_replace': None,
'sr2_search': None,
'sr3_replace': None,
'sr3_search': None,
'tags': None,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'txt_output_encoding': u'utf-8',
'txt_output_formatting': u'plain',
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: LIT Input running
on c:\users\home\appdata\local\temp\calibre_0.8.8_tmp _rqknsx\calibre_0.8.8_t5angs.lit
Parsing all content...
Python function terminated unexpectedly
Not a valid LIT file (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 181, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 31, in gui_convert_override
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 25, in gui_convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 922, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 204, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\lit\input.py", line 23, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 1068, in create_oebbook
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\reader.py", line 68, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\lit\reader.py", line 849, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\lit\reader.py", line 422, in __init__
calibre.ebooks.lit.LitError: Not a valid LIT file
walters291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:59 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
No, most likely it's a corrupted Lit file and there isn't anything to be done. You can try googling/downloading ConvertLit, but most likely if Calibre failed it will fail too.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:52 AM   #3
philroa
philroa began at the beginning.

Device: None
I've converted 2 books on Calibre and when I previewed them on the Calibre reader, the title pages of the books did not show up (I have the front covers of the books pasted on the very front page of the manuscript). I thought this was just the Calibre system. But when I previewed both books on the Kindle device, the title pages of the e-books did not show at all! I'm assuming that the jpegs I used were not recognized by the system. Is there any way to work around this in Calibre or should I just abandon using the jpegs for the title pages altogether?
philroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Kindles NEVER open on the Title page. This is the way the Knindle is designed to work and the only people who could change it are Amazon. if you want to see the title page then you ahve to get to it via the Table of Contents.

However why they should not show up in the Calibre reader is a bit more of a mystery? Have you tried setting the cover images at the Calibre metadata level prior to conversion? It is possible that you have your conversion settings set to remove the first image found which is why it is disappearing - this is not at all an uncommon thing to do if you want to sue the cover image set at the Calibre metadata level.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #5
philroa
philroa began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Kindles NEVER open on the Title page. This is the way the Knindle is designed to work and the only people who could change it are Amazon. if you want to see the title page then you ahve to get to it via the Table of Contents.

However why they should not show up in the Calibre reader is a bit more of a mystery? Have you tried setting the cover images at the Calibre metadata level prior to conversion? It is possible that you have your conversion settings set to remove the first image found which is why it is disappearing - this is not at all an uncommon thing to do if you want to sue the cover image set at the Calibre metadata level.
Thanks itimpi. I discovered that prior to conversion into epub, there's an option you can choose to not set a default cover page (which is the cover page I assign on Calibre).

I clicked it and when seen on the Kindle preview on Amazon, it looked fine. However, I resorted to the output format as .mobi instead because I heard that that is the file type preferred by Kindle. I manually input (typed each letter) the cover page on the first book and copy pasted the jpeg of the second book onto the file. When I checked it on Kindle's preview, the cover page did appear and the formatting seemed fine. Are there any other steps I can do to resolve this issue of jpegs not showing up on the Kindle preview? Is it the output format (.epub, .mobi) Calibre settings, etc.? This will be greatly helpful for me in the future.

Thanks!
philroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:50 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I am a little confused about exactly what you are seeing - the Kindle cannot handle ePub files! Mobi is the correct format for a Kindle.

Also on a Kindle (or Kindle pre-viewer) when you open a mobi file you are taken to the page AFTER the cover - you have to navigate to the cover using the table of contents. This is the way that Amazon have designed the Kindle firmware to work.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote