Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
johnsokim
johnsokim began at the beginning.

Device: None
I am new to mobileread.

I am new to mobileread and I am trying to figure out what device I should be using now.
I used to read on my Palm Pilot but alas it has packed it in. This means I am looking for a new device. I am also wondering what software I should install on my laptop.

Thanks Guys
Have a good day.
johnsokim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsokim View Post
I am new to mobileread and I am trying to figure out what device I should be using now.
I used to read on my Palm Pilot but alas it has packed it in. This means I am looking for a new device. I am also wondering what software I should install on my laptop.

Thanks Guys
Have a good day.
Welcome. It would help if we knew where you live, whether you really want to be able to read on your computer as well as your device, and what you like to read.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
johnsokim
johnsokim began at the beginning.

Device: None
I am sorry I did not mention I live

I am sorry I did not mention I live in Vancouver, BC.
I want tor ead both on my laptop as well as some device.
I am leaning towards a Sony but I want to be as versatile as possible because I have books in all formats and I understand that Sony is limited???

Regards

Kim
johnsokim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsokim View Post
I am sorry I did not mention I live in Vancouver, BC.
I want tor ead both on my laptop as well as some device.
I am leaning towards a Sony but I want to be as versatile as possible because I have books in all formats and I understand that Sony is limited???

Regards

Kim
Pretty much any device you get is going to have some limitations. However, there are ebook formats that will work on both your computer and certain devices. I will leave it up to the Sony mavens to tell you if the Sony can do that or not. I do believe that most books that would be readable on your computer could be easily converted into Sony's lrf format. Although, what you probably want is a device that does not have a proprietary format ... however, the problem with that is that your choice of books may be severely limited.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Oh, and you should PM Wetdogeared. He lives where you live and he owns a couple of Sonys.
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I would say to first peruse the ebook reader matrix on our Wiki. That covers most devices on the market right now.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi johnsokim and welcome to MobileRead. I have a Sony 505 and really like itl
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Welcome! I enjoy reading on my PC laptop also. It is very easy and versatile to use. Basically, I buy the book, and if the software is needed, it will prompt me to download it. Pretty much anything will work, although I am not familiar with Amazon's ebooks and can not speak for them and/or whether their books can be read on a PC.

Some (but not all by any means) sites to get books at great prices are Fictionwise, BooksOnBoard, Baen, and Google books. If you can get something in ePub format, then that might be to your best advantage for re-reading it in the future. I personally like Fictionwise's eReader format on the PC. It works well with my eyes, for some reason.

Speaking of eyes, try not to read on a screen larger than about half the size of the computer screen. Increase the fonts, but not the reading panel size. Otherwise, you risk eyestrain from constantly moving your eyes back and forth the entire length of the screen. Also, if you can position it slightly below "eye level," you stand less chance of eyestrain. Many of us have experienced eyestrain when reading for long periods on the PC, myself included.

Otherwise, the PC is actually my preferred reader whenever I am at home. I like the nice big bright screen.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote