Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-16-2008, 05:12 AM   #76
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
In mrxvt, it seems solved partially. The screen reponse is quite delayed. About 30 or more seconds to wait for refresh. All input during screen frozen are actually input to terminal.
Thanks again.

I'll have to verify if the calls to notify the refresh are blocking xepdmgr, as that could explain that behaviour, although 30s seems a lot.

I'll keep you posted .
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:33 AM   #77
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
Here is xepdmgr 1.9c, which has the update notify to contentlister.
Hi Antartica,
I cannot compile xepdmgr with the Irex sdk. The problem comes from the libX11.h you provide: its is a slightly (but incompatible in some way) older version than the sdk one
Code:
< /* $XFree86: xc/lib/X11/Xlib.h,v 3.25 2003/11/17 22:20:10 dawes Exp $ */
> /* $XFree86: xc/lib/X11/Xlib.h,v 3.26 2003/12/18 16:38:35 dawes Exp $ */
The compiler complains about _X_SENTINEL which is not defined anywhere in the sdk includes. (On my development computer it gets defined in Xfuncproto.h, but not so in the sdk version...)
When I copy the sdk version of Xlib.h over yours, everything compiles fine.

Happy coding,
Hansel

Last edited by hansel; 12-19-2008 at 06:42 AM.
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #78
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
I cannot compile xepdmgr with the Irex sdk. The problem comes from the libX11.h
(...)
When I copy the sdk version of Xlib.h over yours, everything compiles fine.
Can you attach the libX11.h from the irex SDK? I can test if it compiles/works correctly with that header file with the unofficial toolchain, and if it does, use that file so it can be compiled in both toolchains. If not, a ./configure script will be the way...
Old 12-20-2008, 02:57 AM   #79
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Can you attach the libX11.h from the irex SDK? I can test if it compiles/works correctly with that header file with the unofficial toolchain, and if it does, use that file so it can be compiled in both toolchains. If not, a ./configure script will be the way...
I'm using this:
http://developer.irexnet.com/pub/iLi...091648.tar.bz2

Maybe it is not necessary to include Xlib.h at all in the xepdmgr distro? I think it's still there because in the beginning you also included libx11.so?
Just using the available default 'system' Xlib.h might work for everybody...

No time to test now: short holiday leave. I'll be disconnected for one week.

Merry Christmas to all, the King is born!
Old 12-20-2008, 03:10 AM   #80
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Maybe it is not necessary to include Xlib.h at all in the xepdmgr distro? I think it's still there because in the beginning you also included libx11.so?
You're absolutely right, it's a leftover not needed anymore . I drop that file from the sources.

Quote:
Merry Christmas to all, the King is born!
Merry Christmas!
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #81
hansel
JSR FFD2

Update...

Hello Antartica and All,
Quote:
2.0 will be the first to be able to impersonate displayMgr (that is, you can substitute displayMgr with xepdmgr). It also implements partial refreshes.
I've been playing with the xdamage stuff and the display manager...
The partial update is implemented in displayManager, and activated by starting it without the -p option,
Code:
00664                 if ((ret = ioctl(fbDev,FBIO_DISPLAYPARTIAL , &partialDisplayUpdateInfo)))
BUT the ioctl does NOT implement FBIO_DISPLAYPARTIAL at all (delta driver, delta.c)

PS: as an exercise I have assembled a Lua binding for liberdm. I now can test things from a Lua script without compiling anything...:
Code:
require 'lua-erdm'
dmDisplay(dmCmdPriorHigh, dmQTyping)

Last edited by hansel; 01-22-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:24 AM   #82
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
BUT the ioctl does NOT implement FBIO_DISPLAYPARTIAL at all (delta driver, delta.c)
Oh my... that is bad. So xepdmgr 2.0 will not provide partial updates then.

To fix that we wold have to document what we know about the delta chip and see if we can implement it ourselves in the driver. That could take long...

Thanks a lot Hansel.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:39 AM   #83
hansel
JSR FFD2

Update: I've been scrolling a bit in the DR1000 stuff. It includes libxdamage (see: http://developer.irexnet.com/pub/iOn...d%20party/all/) , but as far as I can see it is not used anywhere. Also I didn't find any code doing partial screen updates
Old 03-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #84
sphaero
sphaero began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad ER0150
Hi All,

I'm new in the Ebook business. Just started experimenting with the Iliad. I found this xepdmgr which looks really promising . Nice work!

I've gotten the 1.3 version working. But a post of Hansel makes me believe I can run the xedprmgr on my Ubuntu laptop and export the display through X to the Iliad.
Quote:
Antartica: 1.3 works fine!
- locally on my laptop,
- xepdmgr on laptop, display iliad:0.
- locally on iliad]
This would be exactly what I want to accomplish. Is this true?

Code:
DISPLAY=192.168.10.2:0 gnome-calculator
Already works but does not do refresh...
Code:
DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0 /mnt/cf/xepdmgr-1.3-iliad/xepdmgr 127.0.0.1:0 ./glock.o
Also works however this is an app locally on the Iliad.

I've gotten the 1.3 version to compile for ARM but I can't compile it for i386. Probably because of specific libraries from Irex.
Code:
xepdmgr.c:42:26: error: liberdm/erdm.h: No such file or directory
xepdmgr.c:43:33: error: liberipc/eripcbusyd.h: No such file or directory
xepdmgr.c:44:35: error: liberipc/eripctoolbar.h: No such file or directory
Are there any directions on how to get this to run on my laptop so I can do:
Code:
DISPLAY=192.168.10.2:0 xepdmgr 192.168.10.2:0 gnome-calculator
Thnx,

Arnaud
sphaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #85
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Based on my understanding, xepdmgr is dedicated to run on iLiad, not for desktop or notebook. It has nothing to do with to "export the display through X to the Iliad".

Added:
xepdmgr is used for controlling screen refreshment on iLiad (because e-ink screen is slow). So it is not needed on laptop using LCD screen.
In order to export display of laptop to iLiad, I think a vncserver on laptop and vncclient+xepdmgr on iLiad should do it.

Last edited by ericshliao; 03-16-2009 at 01:29 AM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:49 AM   #86
hansel
JSR FFD2

It is possible to run xepdmgr in test mode on any linux computer (if you build it for that computer). By exporting DISPLAY=your.iliad.ip you can monitor changes on the Iliad display. This is for testing only; it will not update the Iliad display.
To build it for i386 you have to do
Code:
 make xepdmgr-dummy
In that way, it will not try to link to the iliad libs
Old 03-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #87
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphaero View Post
I've gotten the 1.3 version working. But a post of Hansel makes me believe I can run the xedprmgr on my Ubuntu laptop and export the display through X to the Iliad.

This would be exactly what I want to accomplish. Is this true?
There are two ways to accomplish that:

1 Without killing displayMgr

1a. ssh to the iliad and do
Code:
./xepdmgr :0 cat /dev/tty
1b. In the laptop, just export the app to the display of the iliad, as xepdmgr is running it will handle updates for the iliad screen (it is not restricted to the launched application, thus you can use a simple cat as a dummy application).

2. Killing displayMgr. You must use xepdmgr 1.9 for this to work

2a. in the iliad kill displayMgr process

2b. in the iliad launch xepdmgr as server

Code:
./xepdmgr :0
2c. In the laptop launch you application with the display exported to the iliad.

That is it .

There are some problems using xepdmgr as a substitute for displayMgr with regard to contentLister, so I recommend the approach (1) for now .
Old 03-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #88
sphaero

Thanks for that Antartica. I will try this once I get to my Iliad.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:04 AM   #89
sphaero

Hi Antartica,

i've tried your suggestion but it doesn't work as you said:

Code:
root@ereader:~# /mnt/cf/xepdmgr-1.9-iliad/xepdmgr 127.0.0.1:0 cat /dev/tty      /mnt/cf/xepdmgr-1.9-iliad/xepdmgr: error launching child process
It seems it needs an X app? If I try:
Code:
DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0 /mnt/cf/xepdmgr-1.9-iliad/xepdmgr 127.0.0.1:0 ./ghello.o
And I run
Code:
DISPLAY=10.6.139.234:0 gnome-calculator
It works like you suggested.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #90
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphaero View Post
Hi Antartica,

i've tried your suggestion but it doesn't work as you said:

Code:
root@ereader:~# /mnt/cf/xepdmgr-1.9-iliad/xepdmgr 127.0.0.1:0 cat /dev/tty      /mnt/cf/xepdmgr-1.9-iliad/xepdmgr: error launching child process
It seems it needs an X app?
Ups! The problem is that xepdmgr doesn't find the "cat" binary. I thought it would search for it in the PATH, but it seems that I was wrong.

Try this one instead:
Code:
root@ereader:~# /mnt/cf/xepdmgr-1.9-iliad/xepdmgr 127.0.0.1:0 /bin/cat
If the problem persist, say so and I will try it to find the cause .