Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 09-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
sainokawara
sainokawara began at the beginning.

Device: Google Nexus 7 Wi-Fi 2013
"Fetch annotations (experimental)" person/group

Pardon me if I violated any forum protocols but I would like to contact the individuals/groups that added "Fetch annotations (experimental)" on "Send to device" or anyone working on such an enhancement. I would like to see Calibre used as a repository for E-Reader "annotations" (Highlights, Notes, etc.) and would be willing to contribute what I could, if anything, to such an effort. Please don't hold it against me but I am a retired software engineer who designed and developed system level MAINFRAME software. Harrison
sainokawara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'm not responsible for the fetch annotations function, but have done some work on it and related things.

The function is there and works. But, it needs code in the driver of each device to work. The KoboTouch driver has it and at least one other has it. I think the Kindle, but I'm not sure. It works, but I have never been a fan of it. This is more of a "doesn't fit my needs" thing than any real problem with it.

As an alternative to this, there is the Annotations plugin. This does basically the same thing, but has some options including formatting the stored annotations and specifying where they go. Plus it updates them rather than replacing them. This was written by someone else, but I am the current maintainer. This also needs code for each device, but it can be easily added within the framework the plugin supplies. I'm happy if you want to do anything with this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
sainokawara
sainokawara began at the beginning.

Device: Google Nexus 7 Wi-Fi 2013
Thank you for your quick response. The good news is that I have found everything I need. I will play with it and see if it does what I want or can be modified to do what I want. The bad news is that until yesterday, I could only spell "Python"! Hopefully, I didn't lose all of my technical abilities and tenacity at retirement.
sainokawara is offline   Reply With Quote