Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #31
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
So authors don't come in and promote their work, there is a section on the forum for that one. It was just a general message, not a warning to the OP.
Of course, I know there is a separate thread for self-promotion.

My question was, and still is, why the general warning in this thread, and not in so many others?
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:25 AM   #32
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Another freebie from Severed Press - The Village of Dead Souls: A Zombie Novel by Michael Wallace.

Quote:
Killed in battle, the ancient Athenian, Prometheus, awakes inside a body that is not his, in a future world unfamiliar to him. Trapped in modern day Denver, during the annual Zombie Pub Crawl, he is surrounded by humans with their strange language of moans, and hisses. Joined by a growing number of living dead, the new arrival helps them organize into a well-organized army during the zombie uprising. Only they are not here to destroy the living, they have come to save them.

The future of the human race relies on the necromantic secrets inside the shadows of the Village of Dead Souls.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #33
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker is down to $3.89 at BooksOnBoard. Last week it was $4.58. This is a HarperCollins book that has been $8.99 for a long time and is now finally coming down. $5.99 at Sony and Kobo and $5.69 at Amazon. Still not allowing coupons on this at Kobo.

In case anyone is unfamiliar with this, it is the book the Hellraiser series of movies was based on. I highly recommend this as a very scary book.

Quote:
Frank Cotton's insatiable appetite for the dark pleasures of pain led him to the puzzle of Lemarchand's box, and from there, to a death only a sick-minded soul could invent. But his brother's love-crazed wife, Julia, has discovered a way to bring Frank back—though the price will be bloody and terrible . . . and there will certainly be hell to pay.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #34
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
Pinhead scared the carp out of me, as a kid....*shudder*
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:18 AM   #35
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Of course, I know there is a separate thread for self-promotion.

My question was, and still is, why the general warning in this thread, and not in so many others?
Probably because this thread is to specifically talk about free and bargain horror, and authors who write horror could mistake it for a thread to promote their work. I doubt it was anything towards you in particular.

I got in trouble for bumping up a thread an author posted because I wanted to buy his book, and not forget so I pushed the thread to the first page.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #36
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Probably because this thread is to specifically talk about free and bargain horror, and authors who write horror could mistake it for a thread to promote their work. I doubt it was anything towards you in particular.

I got in trouble for bumping up a thread an author posted because I wanted to buy his book, and not forget so I pushed the thread to the first page.

Again, not what I asked - I was really sort of hoping for an answer from the moderator who did post #2, because I wanted to know what caused the nasty message when there didn't seem to be anything wrong with post #1. And, I sort of dislike pre-emptive warnings...if that's what it was....

I didn't get any warning myself (I'm not an author), but was just curious. However, it seems the moderator who posted it isn't going to reply, and I suspect everyone else is just guessing.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #37
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker is down to $3.89 at BooksOnBoard. Last week it was $4.58. This is a HarperCollins book that has been $8.99 for a long time and is now finally coming down. $5.99 at Sony and Kobo and $5.69 at Amazon. Still not allowing coupons on this at Kobo.

In case anyone is unfamiliar with this, it is the book the Hellraiser series of movies was based on. I highly recommend this as a very scary book.
Got it. Thanks, Nightbird. (Not Horror, but just picked up Christie's Murder on The Orient Express for $3.24 at BooksOnBoard at the same time. 70% of their books are on sale until midnight.)
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #38
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Never thought I'd find myself posting in the horror thread [too askeered ;0], but I am interested in John Dee from some of the Tudor-era mysteries I've read...

This one is free on Amazon today:

The Ravener & Others - Six John Dee & Edward Kelley Occult Mysteries by Donald Tyson
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #39
NightBird
Wizard

LOL, mitford.

Glad you got it, Belle. Have you read it before? Looks like that was just part of their sale, as now it is up to $4.49. Edited to add: I guess that's not it because the sale is still apparently going on. However, all of the books on my wishlist are more than they were last night. Hmmm.

Oh yeah, that's a good Agatha Christie. Very unusual twist to it.

Last edited by NightBird; 09-20-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #40
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
LOL, mitford.

Glad you got it, Belle. Have you read it before? Looks like that was just part of their sale, as now it is up to $4.49. Edited to add: I guess that's not it because the sale is still apparently going on. However, all of the books on my wishlist are more than they were last night. Hmmm.

Oh yeah, that's a good Agatha Christie. Very unusual twist to it.
Sorry it went up. That happened to me at BoB a week or so ago when I put several Christie & Hillerman books in my cart, paid for them at Paypal, but the prices had gone up in the moments between the actions. Now I don't tarry a moment when the price is good. Feels like sniping a last second deal at eBay. Got 'Murder...' and 'Death Comes as the End' for under $4 each today. Read them both long ago, but they're worth another read.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #41
NightBird
Wizard

Yeah, I never know nowadays whether to grab it or wait and see if it goes down some more, although I don't mind paying a little more for a book I like and know I will read again.

Did you read Hellbound Heart before?
Old 09-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #42
BelleZora
Wizard

Quote:
Did you read Hellbound Heart before?
No, but I've read other Clive Barker books. MR has made me more health conscious since I hope to live to read my lengthy TBR list.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #43
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
No, but I've read other Clive Barker books. MR has made me more health conscious since I hope to live to read my lengthy TBR list.

Lol. I've read a few of his others and this one is the best, IMO.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:40 AM   #44
NightBird
Wizard

The Flu by Jacqueline Druga is free from Permuted Press.

Quote:
Throughout history there have been several thousand different strains of influenza. Each year hundreds are active. Chances are, this year, you will catch one of those strains. You will cough, sneeze, and your body will ache. Without a second thought, you’ll take a double dose of green liquid, go to bed, and swear you’ll feel better in the morning.

Not this time.

In 1918 forty million people succumbed to a particular strain of swine flu. It appeared out of nowhere, and just as quickly as it surfaced, the Spanish Flu vanished. Gone for good. Or so we thought. Though mankind has anticipated its resurfacing for some time, mankind is ill prepared. Mutated and with a vengeance, the Spanish Flu returns.

In a world blackened with plague, a glimmer of light exists in the small town of Lodi, Ohio. They shine as a sanctuary because they are ‘flu-free’ In the wake of the reality that they are spared, the spirit and strength of Lodi is tested. It becomes a fight against what is morally right or wrong in an increasingly difficult battle to stay healthy and alive until the flu has run its course.
FYI - Don't forget to check for the Whispersync deals. This one is $1.99 for the audiobook.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #45
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Again, not what I asked - I was really sort of hoping for an answer from the moderator who did post #2, because I wanted to know what caused the nasty message when there didn't seem to be anything wrong with post #1. And, I sort of dislike pre-emptive warnings...if that's what it was....

I didn't get any warning myself (I'm not an author), but was just curious. However, it seems the moderator who posted it isn't going to reply, and I suspect everyone else is just guessing.
I don't think this was a pre-emptive warning as I've never seen the moderators do that on any of these threads. So they wouldn't do that on this thread. ("We'd better post a pre-emptive warning on the horror thread. Those horror writers are scary!!!")

I think the second post was a promotional post, so the moderator deleted it and reminded the poster of the rules of the thread. But because the mod removed all traces of the second post (not even a ghost of a post is left!), we're left speculating.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote