Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
TTS on the 650?

Had a potential buyer for my PRS-650 this morning but he wanted/needed TTS. English not his first language, and he wanted to be able to read the text as it was being read to him.

I was fairly sure that the PRS-650 is not able to do that, but thought I should check in here to be certain in case I have done him (and myself) a disservice. Perhaps there's an addon?
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
You're right... not a Sony feature...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bummer. Thanks for that. I wonder if any of the other readers do it? I'd like to be able to point him in the right direction
Old 11-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
The Kindle Touch, which is no longer being made, does TTS. It's a robot speaking though and most people report not liking the sound or finding it useful. I've not heard it myself but if it's anything like my GPS then there will be tons of mispronunciations. Not helpful to someone trying to learn English.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
The Kindle Touch, which is no longer being made, does TTS. It's a robot speaking though and most people report not liking the sound or finding it useful. I've not heard it myself but if it's anything like my GPS then there will be tons of mispronunciations. Not helpful to someone trying to learn English.
Hmm, His English isnt too bad, he's managing reasonably well, but he wants more fluency. I agree... that computer generated voice probably wont help, but at worst, he's have a reasonable ebook reader. He usually uses his samsung phone for that. Fortunately a couple of our department stores still have the Touch in stock and are selling it at ridiculously inflated prices by comparison with US prices, but oh well. I'll send him off there to buy one.

Thanks for the info
Advert
Old 11-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
K3 keyboard does TTS.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Pocketbook readers are reported to have a very good TTS Software on board.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote