Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-21-2015, 12:20 PM   #1231
arspr
None
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 >>> Kobo Aura HD & H2O (both self-destructed) >>> 2 x H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Mostly, when I then reconverted my epubs, it looked good, but I have two problems
  1. all the beautiful centred separations (stars, small pictures and such) become left justified
  2. in the books where there are negative indents, which remain readable as epubs, I loose the first characters of every line.
Without a test book I cannot speak about 1, but 2 is probably the expected behaviour.

I mean, if you have 0 as the left margin/padding value, a negative indentation is in fact telling the reader to display some characters OUTSIDE the screen.

You need to add some positive left margin/padding so you have available room for the negative indentation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
body { orphans: 1; widows: 1; }
Just for your knowledge. This setting is useless in Kepubs because it always behaves in this way. Kobo ACCESS renderer doesn't support widows and orphans, so it always behaves as if they are disabled no matter what you set.

(Nevertheless it's a good setting if you want to be sure that they are going to remain disabled even if they worked sometime somewhere).
arspr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #1232
njess
njess began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've just downloaded this plugin but when I read a book on my Aura the pages are all mixed up? How come? Is there anything I can do about it?
I can see that the pages are in the right order it's just the numbers that are completely off-they can go something like this: 1,2,3,54,21 and so on.
njess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:21 PM   #1233
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
That sounds like an issue with the TOC. Can you attach an image of a page that's out of order and the page right before it?
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM   #1234
njess
njess began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yes, here is the page I'm reading (to the left) and the previous one was the one to the right. I can see that the pagenumbers skip when you get to the next chapter. Ie the numbers are in order in the chapter but when I get to the next one the numbers jump up or down.

I don't know how to attach a pic of it since it says that it should be a http.
njess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM   #1235
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, iPod Shuffle 4g
Quote:
Originally Posted by njess View Post
I've just downloaded this plugin but when I read a book on my Aura the pages are all mixed up? How come? Is there anything I can do about it?
I can see that the pages are in the right order it's just the numbers that are completely off-they can go something like this: 1,2,3,54,21 and so on.
I have seen this in Kobo-synced kepubs too, so I don't think it is anything to do with this driver.

From what I can tell, the problem is that the kepub reader is much fussier than the epub reader about how the entries in the book's toc and spine are arranged, it expects the toc and spine to match exactly on the ordering of entries, any inconsistency can cause problems with page numbering. It also expects each entry to reference content in a seperate .html file, and if not then the in-book stats won't work properly.

I don't know of any automated way to fix it that always works, it is a matter of editing the toc and spine to remove inconsistencies, and splitting up the .html files so that each toc entry has its own file (An epub to epub conversion in Calibre can sometimes help with splitting the files, but it doesn't always work.)

Edit: These problems didn't usually show in Kobo-synced kepubs in the past, because the kepub reader only displayed the number of pages per chapter. It was only when Kobo added the new page numbering options that the inconsistencies between toc and spine became more of an issue.

Edit2: Here is an example from this book. When I read the kepub version synced direct from Kobo, the page numbers were fine for most of the book, but they were completely wrong when reading the Lexicon. What seems to have happened is that the publisher decided to move the Lexicon (contained in 9780061743948_chapter_34.html) from the back of the book to the front, updated the TOC but forgot to update the spine.

Spoiler:

Extract from OPF <manifest>:
Code:
		<item href="9780061743948_chapter_33.html" id="x_9780061743948_36" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item href="9780061743948_chapter_34.html" id="x_9780061743948_37" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
		<item href="9780061743948_aboutauthor.html" id="x_9780061743948_38" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
Extract from OPF <spine>
Code:
		<itemref idref="x_9780061743948_36"/>
		<itemref idref="x_9780061743948_37"/>
		<itemref idref="x_9780061743948_38"/>
Extracts from toc.ncx
Code:
            <navPoint id="np-6" playOrder="6">
              <navLabel>
                <text>Lexicon</text>
              </navLabel>
              <content src="9780061743948_chapter_34.html"/>
            </navPoint>
Code:
            <navPoint id="np-39" playOrder="39">
              <navLabel>
                <text>Chapter 8</text>
              </navLabel>
              <content src="9780061743948_chapter_33.html"/>
            </navPoint>

<navPoint id="np-40" playOrder="40">
              <navLabel>
                <text>About the Author</text>
              </navLabel>
              <content src="9780061743948_aboutauthor.html"/>
            </navPoint>

Last edited by GeoffR; Yesterday at 07:54 AM. Reason: Example
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM   #1236
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
@njess: If you use the Quick Reply at the bottomif the page to post (or if you edit your post) there's a "Go Advanced" button to click on. That will give you more options, including a "Manage Attachments" button that lets you upload files.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote