Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Touch
Is Kobo Aura being replaced?

Just saw that Best Buy (Canada) is selling the 6" Kobo Aura for $110. The flyer says it's a Mother's Day special, but none of the other Kobos are on sale and I've never seen Kobos on sale.

Just wondering if they're being replaced.
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Probably just a big push before the end of the current model year.

Mother's day is the last big gift giving holiday before Christmas where eReaders would be a big seller.

The new models will be out before Christmas.

We're seeing the Glo and Touch being discounted in Australia for Mother's Day.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2014, 04:58 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
oh, the regret! I bought mine about three weeks ago, and now it is discounted by £20! But yes, here in the UK it is not the first time Kobos are sold at a discount.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:22 AM   #4
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
oh, the regret! I bought mine about three weeks ago, and now it is discounted by £20! But yes, here in the UK it is not the first time Kobos are sold at a discount.
My sympathies, Paola

I agree that in France, a discount isn't unusual. Lately, the price of the Aura has been either 119,90€ (when discounted) or 139,90€ (regular price).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
pihlaja
pihlaja began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does anyone happen to know if Kobo has said anything about new releases? Next generation of Aura specifically. I love the way Aura seems to be BUT I just cannot persuade myself to buy old technique (referring to screen technology of course). (yes, I know Aura still has many other advantages over Kindle PW but for me the display goes above everything else when talking about e-readers)

At the moment the newest Kindle PW seems to be wiser choice with Carta screen technology, but if there's gonna be be new Aura for example next autumn I might be able to wait.
pihlaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2014, 02:19 AM   #6
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I thought the Aura, newest 6" model with capacitive input, had the latest screen technology with no black flashing? Or are you thinking of the Aura HD?

nevermind... Looked it up, not Carta, though as I recall Carta wasn't supposed to be all that big an advance in contrast.

I'm pretty sure any new models will be announced this fall...

Last edited by TechniSol; 05-04-2014 at 02:31 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:27 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I thought the Aura, newest 6" model with capacitive input, had the latest screen technology with no black flashing? Or are you thinking of the Aura HD?
The Aura uses the Regal waveform (or some similar low-flash waveform) IIRC, but it doesn't use the Carta screen it uses a Pearl screen.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-04-2014 at 02:31 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
ipse
Connoisseur
ipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo Aura, Arc 10HD
My main reason for chipping in for an Aura was a 25$ coupon at TheSource (Canucks would know the store.... former RadioShack).
At 85$ I don't care if it's obsolete :-)

And I bet there will always be a newer better model somewhere or in the works, probably cheaper too. This is technology today.... born into obsolescence.
ipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja View Post
Does anyone happen to know if Kobo has said anything about new releases? Next generation of Aura specifically. I love the way Aura seems to be BUT I just cannot persuade myself to buy old technique (referring to screen technology of course). (yes, I know Aura still has many other advantages over Kindle PW but for me the display goes above everything else when talking about e-readers)

At the moment the newest Kindle PW seems to be wiser choice with Carta screen technology, but if there's gonna be be new Aura for example next autumn I might be able to wait.
It's not definite that there will be a new Kobo model in the Autumn, but that does seem the most likely time there will be any announcement. If I was considering the Aura HD I'd just go ahead and buy it right now as there's no guarantee there will be an updated version of it (it was after all released as a limited edition). If it's the standard Aura you are interested in, and the current price reduction isn't enough to tempt you over the having the very latest screen tech, then if you don't mind waiting a few months, there's no harm in waiting to see if Kobo come up with an updated version (especially as the Carta e-ink screen will be available to use, it was only a time limited exclusive for Amazon). ipse is correct though, there will pretty much always be a new & improved model somewhere in the not too distant future.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
pihlaja
pihlaja began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
It's not definite that there will be a new Kobo model in the Autumn, but that does seem the most likely time there will be any announcement. If I was considering the Aura HD I'd just go ahead and buy it right now as there's no guarantee there will be an updated version of it (it was after all released as a limited edition). If it's the standard Aura you are interested in, and the current price reduction isn't enough to tempt you over the having the very latest screen tech, then if you don't mind waiting a few months, there's no harm in waiting to see if Kobo come up with an updated version (especially as the Carta e-ink screen will be available to use, it was only a time limited exclusive for Amazon). ipse is correct though, there will pretty much always be a new & improved model somewhere in the not too distant future.
It's the standard Aura I'm talking about. And yeah, I thought so too, that it might be announced in the autumn, if there's a new model to come (year since the last one etc). I'm not saying that the current version wouldn't be worth the money but what I've seen reviews and photos comparing PW2 and Aura, I'm sort of leaning towards PW2's display. Of course it might be due to other differences between the devices BUT if it's not, I'd be thrilled to see how Aura with Carta screen would look like.

Also PW2's pdf handling has some nice little features which I'd like to see in Aura too so I have some extra intrest in to the possible software upgrades too... (would be so much nicer to read scientific articles from the e-reader than computer)
pihlaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:08 AM   #11
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Still silently hoping for an Aura Mini (5")
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja View Post
what I've seen reviews and photos comparing PW2 and Aura, I'm sort of leaning towards PW2's display.
If the screen is a big thing for you (it was for me when choosing between the PW2 & Aura last year), I'd definitely just wait and see what the Autumn brings before buying. I think the display of the PW2 is better, but its telling that it is Amazon's second attempt at a lighted reader with a capacitive touch screen. If Kobo release an updated version of the Aura, it'll be their second attempt, and I'd bet on it being similarly improved over the original Aura.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipse View Post
And I bet there will always be a newer better model somewhere or in the works, probably cheaper too. This is technology today.... born into obsolescence.
Reminds me of a sign posted in a computer store a few decades back -- If we're shipping it, it's obsolete.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Kobo Aura (non-HD) is on sale at the Canadian Source site for $20 less than the Glo.

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Produ...roduct=8012871

Weird...
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #15
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
The Aura is $30 off at Chapters for Mother's Day so maybe The Source is price-matching.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/ereadi...ereaders/aura/
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote