Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
GrouchoM
Enthusiast
GrouchoM began at the beginning.

Device: none
Jetboo Lite shuts down when connected to PC via usb.

it does it automatically after a minute or so. Is this a known issue with the JBL? I have to keep pressing the buttons to keep it connected which seems to work. My autosleep mode is 5 minutes so that s not causing it. Please help.
GrouchoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:24 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoM View Post
it does it automatically after a minute or so. Is this a known issue with the JBL? I have to keep pressing the buttons to keep it connected which seems to work. My autosleep mode is 5 minutes so that s not causing it. Please help.
Five minutes goes faster then we think. While connected to the PC there is no external activity to keep it from falling asleep. After being hit by this on more then one occasion I decided to turn off auto shutdown while connecting to the PC.

Turning off auto shutdown while connecting to the PC corrected this problem for me.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #3
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I no longer connect mine directly to the PC.

Jetbook (& JBL) have a USB 1.1 port. Its slow.

I use a SD card to USB adapter. One end has a slot to hold an SD or SDHC card. The other end has a USB port to plug into the computer. Since it is USB 2.0 its considerably faster than the cable.

Cost me a whole 3$.

Some manufactures of SD cards are including adapters in the packaging if you shop for them.

For me its just much faster and easier to move a bunch of books via the SD card and an adapter.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
I use a SD card to USB adapter.
Definitely the way to go here.
Make sure to leave the jetbook lite on when you eject the card so it knows you are doing an update. Same when putting the SD card back in, make sure the jetbook lite is on before re-inserting the card so it can access the changes you made to the files.
Just keeps it from having any odd lockups.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
CyberSmoke53
Enthusiast
CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Definitely the way to go here.
Make sure to leave the jetbook lite on when you eject the card so it knows you are doing an update. Same when putting the SD card back in, make sure the jetbook lite is on before re-inserting the card so it can access the changes you made to the files.
Just keeps it from having any odd lockups.
Definitely the way to go.. especially the advice about how to eject and insert the SD card. Since I've been using the same instructions I haven't had unusual file issues!
CyberSmoke53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoM View Post
Actually, it's 5 minutes. I actually used my watch to check. It will fall asleep at the time you set it to fall asleep. Just turn off autosleep.

Or you can go out and buy a sd usb adaptor. It's just a few bucks and will transfer data a lot faster.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
Number_6
Enthusiast
Number_6 doesn't litterNumber_6 doesn't litter

Device: Barnes and Noble Nook Wi-fi, Ectaco jetBookLite, Nokia N810, Nokia 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
I no longer connect mine directly to the PC.

Jetbook (& JBL) have a USB 1.1 port. Its slow.

I use a SD card to USB adapter. One end has a slot to hold an SD or SDHC card. The other end has a USB port to plug into the computer. Since it is USB 2.0 its considerably faster than the cable.

Cost me a whole 3$.
I too use a USB card reader that I picked up from Meritline http://www.meritline.com/card-reader---c-7672.aspx

You can get one for less than $2.00 with free shipping!
Number_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
GrouchoM
Enthusiast
GrouchoM began at the beginning.

Device: none
I actually have a card reader built in my PC so that is not the issue. I just though books load faster if they're on the internal memory so haven't been using the SD card.
GrouchoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
steven522
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I left the internal memory as-is and put everything I have on an 8GB SDHC Class 6. I have not had any issues other than a freeze trying to re-open a renamed files without the above mentioned power-on-then-insert routine above.
I think some other issues with SD cards mentioned in the forum can be corrected with a nice higher speed (higher class) SDHC card.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
I left the internal memory as-is and put everything I have on an 8GB SDHC Class 6. I have not had any issues other than a freeze trying to re-open a renamed files without the above mentioned power-on-then-insert routine above.
I think some other issues with SD cards mentioned in the forum can be corrected with a nice higher speed (higher class) SDHC card.
I can vouch for this. I recently bought an SDHC card and it worked a lot better on my JBL. And I got it for cheaper than dirt.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
CraneTseng
CraneTseng began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook Lite (Black), Pandigital Novel 7"
Honestly, I do not really understand this fuzz about using the internal memory or to use an SD card.
I am a pragmatical guy, who asks himself: How many books do you read parallel? I do three at max. So I have (at the moment) six e-books in the internal memory of my JBL, and I do not need an external card. I cannot see the point to have 100+ e-books on the eReader. They are just fine on my PC.

Peace
CraneTseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #12
steven522

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneTseng View Post
How many books do you read parallel? I do three at max.
Well I read one-at-a-time, no parallel. My wife borrows the reader every now and then, so I guess that would be 2 in parallel.

I have maybe 12 books loaded on the SDHC card right now. It's not so much a pack it full issue as it is an ease to load and not having to fool around with a USB cable when I want to add another book.

Frankly, if they wanted to not have any internal memory other than the firmware, I'd be just fine with that.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:55 PM   #13
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneTseng View Post
Honestly, I do not really understand this fuzz about using the internal memory or to use an SD card.
I am a pragmatical guy, who asks himself: How many books do you read parallel? I do three at max. So I have (at the moment) six e-books in the internal memory of my JBL, and I do not need an external card. I cannot see the point to have 100+ e-books on the eReader. They are just fine on my PC.

Peace
I keep my library of books on my device (within a sd card) which is a few hundred books. I kept the pre loaded books on the internal memory intact, just put them all into a folder labeled preloaded books. I checked the internal memory and with the books they load it up with there is only 8.7mb left. Easier to just put all my books on a sd card.

I don't get why you wouldn't keep your books in a handy device for reading whenever you get the urge. I don't parallel read much, but I do re-read a lot and get the urge to re-read different books at different times.

Keeping them in author folders on a sd card makes them easy and handy to find.

Oh, and yeah I have a card reader on my pc so I just use the sd card for loading new books rather than syncing the JBL.

Last edited by bjkel; 05-30-2010 at 02:38 AM.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #14
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Well I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 4,000 books loaded on my SD card.

Not my whole library, but chances are if I'm going to read it in the next 5 years its already loaded. For me its a convenience issue. I finish a book, delete it off my SD card, choose another. I have many choices to choose from, and don't have to go load something in order to continue reading.

However I accept that I'm probably an extreme case.

For the price of a smaller SD card, it can be pretty handy to have a wide variety of books ready to load on a moments notice.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It can also be handy for all those references and guides that you never know
when you will need them, very badly;
http://ebooks.ebookmall.com/ebook/144990-ebook.htm

http://www.ebookmall.com/ebook/65616-ebook.htm

More in line with the US Holliday:

http://www.veteransforamerica.org/wp...ival-guide.pdf

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote