Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 10-15-2007, 04:14 AM   #1
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Woodcraft And Camping

I found a copy of "Woodcraft And Camping" by Nessmuk (George W. Sears) on the net. It is the 1920 edition and not the later, heavily edited, 1963 edition by Dover Press. The document I have has obviously been OCRed and not proofread at all. It is riddled with errors.

I am working my way through it, correcting the errors. Later, I will convert it to HTML and possibly other formats. So far, I haven't found a copy of this book locally to compare against. I don't wish to buy a copy just for this project.

If anyone has a copy of this book (preferably the 1920 edition), you could help me tremendously in proofreading the text. As I proofread, I am making a list of questionable passages. When I am done, I would like to email someone who has the book my list of passages, to be checked against the hardcopy. This list will be short. I am half done with the text now and only have three passages on my list so far.

If someone would like to help me out with this, I would appreciate it greatly. If you only have the 1963 Dover edition, that would still be helpful, as most of the text is the same. Something not required, but very desirable: if you have the ability to scan the few images contained in the book, I could include them in the finished ebook, instead of the poor quality images from the PDF copy that I have.

I know that Google has the 1963 edition online, but only selected pages are available for viewing.

When finished, the ebook will obviously be posted here. Also, since the 1920 edition should be public domain, I will also see if Project Gutenberg is interested in a copy (they don't seem to have it).

Edit: It seems that this book was originally published in 1884, under the title of "Woodcraft" and that it was later published in 1920, under the title of "Woodcraft And Camping". I don't know what the differences are between the two editions (if any). BTW, Nessmuk died in 1890.

Last edited by jbenny; 10-16-2007 at 03:27 AM.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:25 AM   #2
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hmm, 62 views on this post and no one has this book yet. I'm currently trying to get a copy through inter-library loan, but that may take several weeks (so they tell me). Hopefully, either I'll get that copy, or someone here will turn up a copy before too long.
Advert
Old 10-16-2007, 11:37 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Personally, I prefer a good hotel any time.

However, in an effort to be helpful I did a quick Google search and found a pdf version of Woodcraft and Camping.

Here:

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_artic...id_article=321

or here:

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_topic.php?id_rubrique=30

Hopefully, you can compare it to your poorly-scanned version.
Or else you might try to convert the pdf file.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:14 AM   #4
jbenny
Addict

Thanks for trying, but that is the PDF that I am working from already. I actually found three different places online that had it, but they were all the same version. The Google online copy is the 1962 Dover Publishing edition, which had a lot of material edited out. Also, the Google version only allows me to view a handful of pages, since the Dover edition is still in copyright.

If you take a look at the PDF you found, you can see numerous OCR errors. I can figure out most of them, but some passages are pretty scrambled.

Hopefully, either I'll get a copy via the library, or someone else will turn up a copy of the book. In the mean time, I'm still working on correcting what I have.

Although some of the woodcraft aspects of the book are rather dated, and frowned upon today, much of the rest of the book is still applicable. The most amazing thing to me is that the author was extolling the virtues of "going light" over 100 years ago. This was when everyone else who took to the woods was carrying enough equipment to outfit a small expedition.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What a pity. I'm sorry not to be more helpful. Good luck with the book. It will be interesting to see.
Advert
Old 10-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
sartori
Connoisseur
sartori began at the beginning.

Have you seen this version - hopefully it's not the same as the one you are working from :

http://www.lostrock.net/websites/ctf...essmukbook.pdf

Sartori
sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
jbenny
Addict

I hadn't seen that one. Although it doesn't say who the publisher is, from looking at it, I think it is the Dover 1963 edition, as it is missing the chapter on fishing and has several editorial comments added. Having said that, this copy is much cleaner, so I can at least use it to help proofread the 1920 edition.

Thanks a lot for finding this. I Googled extensively and didn't turn this one up.

Edit: Yes, that has to be the 1963 edition, as it is missing two entire chapters and several paragraphs from other chapters. However, it still helped me clear up about half of the proofreading errors that I still had. I have several errors left, that are in the missing chapters, so I'm going to have to get ahold of a hardcopy. Hopefully, the library will be able to turn up a copy eventually.

Last edited by jbenny; 10-20-2007 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:40 AM   #8
jbenny
Addict

Can anyone help with the definition of the word "moquims"? The word is used in "Woodcraft And Camping" and is some type of insect. I can't seem to find a definition anywhere.

Another word is "sancudos", which according to what I have found is a type of mosquito. I'm trying to do a glossary for this text. There are several unusual words like the above, including some archaic ones like "gill", meaning four ounces.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:17 AM   #9
Patricia
Reader

I was brought up on (UK) Imperial measurements. A gill (in the UK) is FIVE fluid ounces, or a quarter of an Imperial pint (20 fluid oz.).

(NB An American pint is 16 oz, I believe.)
Old 10-22-2007, 07:30 AM   #10
jbenny
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I was brought up on (UK) Imperial measurements. A gill (in the UK) is FIVE fluid ounces, or a quarter of an Imperial pint (20 fluid oz.).

(NB An American pint is 16 oz, I believe.)
Yes, I saw that there were two different definitions. However, since Nessmuk was an American, I'll use four ounces. Hey, we Americans like to be different, even when it comes to strange units of measure However, I'll take even a British definition of "moquim" at this point
Old 10-22-2007, 01:13 PM   #11
sartori
Connoisseur
sartori began at the beginning.

jbenny,

From a search of "moquim insect" at books.google.com

1st book result : Chambers's Edinburgh journal, conducted by W. Chambers. - Page 458

Everywhere in long grass lurks the 'moquim,' a little red insect, so small as to be almost imperceptible, but which fastens on the legs, causing the most intolerable itching.
sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:02 PM   #12
jbenny
Addict

Good find! Thanks a lot. I Googled, but I didn't do the "books" version.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:44 PM   #13
il bruche
il bruche began at the beginning.

Device: Uh, OK.
Hola

I'm here to help out with Nessmuk.

I'm a moderator on a forum that has a lot of users interested in his writings. I just started a thread to see if anyone has the 1920 translation.
il bruche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:35 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The gill is still used in the UK as the standard measure for serving spirits in pubs. A standard "single" spirit measure is 1/6th gill in England, (but 1/5th gill in Scotland!).

The gill is a quarter of a pint in both the UK and US; it's the size of the pint which differs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:42 PM   #15
Patricia
Reader

Jbenny,

Nessmuk’s Woodcraft has recently appeared here:

http://www.zianet.com/jgray/nessmuk/...itle_page.html

in html, under a creative commons licence.