Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #301
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I'm attached to Jim through Harry. Without Harry, there'd be no attachment to Jim. I'm attached to authors so long as they are writing what I want to read.

It's nothing personal. It's not like I know the guy and have beers with him on the weekends. As long as he gives me Harry, I'm right there cheering him on, but it is Harry that I love.

This is getting weird even by my standards.
I'll give you even weirder. I think you love the Harry with the hat and cloth duster. The one that doesn't actually exist.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #302
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll give you even weirder. I think you love the Harry with the hat and cloth duster. The one that doesn't actually exist.
Actually, I love the Harry with a leather duster and messy hair, sometimes in an old t-shirt, sweatpants and boots. The one that also doesn't exist because he's FICTION. (See, I've not totally lost my mind.)
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #303
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I sorta think we need to distinguish between snobbery and personal taste.

For example somebody looks down on Stephen King's books (for whatever reason) and look down on people who read such "trash". (I'm not calling it "trash", just an example...) That's snobbery.

On the other hand, somebody else, like me, may just not care for his style, or his subject material. So I don't like reading him. Other people do. <shrug> That's personal taste.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #304
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Actually, I love the Harry with a leather duster and messy hair, sometimes in an old t-shirt, sweatpants and boots. The one that also doesn't exist because he's FICTION. (See, I've not totally lost my mind.)
We do become attached to our fictional characters don't we? I have an attachment for Ranger from the Stephanie Plum series. If Evanovich ever killed him off. I wouldn't read another Plum book.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #305
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
We do become attached to our fictional characters don't we? I have an attachment for Ranger from the Stephanie Plum series. If Evanovich ever killed him off. I wouldn't read another Plum book.
We do. I think the only way a book snob could get a significant reaction out of me would be to disparage my beloved Harry.

Ha! I knew I could get this Dresden tangent back on topic somehow.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #306
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you read 11/22/63? If not, then you can't quite criticize King. 11/22/63 is just brilliant.

As for Tolkien, it's not another effing elf. That's all the elves that came after.
I loved 11/22/63.

Went through my whole childhood without reading Tolkien. I just started The Hobbit and if I like it, I'll try the other books.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #307
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I would disagree. Just because something is popular does not mean that one must automatically try it. The Harry Potter Story does not interest me. I read Narnia and a slew of books like that years ago. Never seen Jurrasic Park and do not want to see it.
But have you tried Harry Potter? It's like anything, and I'm the same. If I don't try something because of the 'type' (as I see it) of book it is, I am being narrow-minded and prejudiced. I've tried various books that I didn't think were my 'type' of books. That included Narnia and Harry Potter. I found Narnia to be poorly constructed and overrated (albeit with flashes of excellence). I also read Harry Potter reluctantly and discovered it's as good as Dickens (at least the first book). I watch movies reluctantly but Jurrasic Park was a well-constructed entertainment. I force myself to watch entertainment movies and 50% of the time, I'm glad I did. They are short and often well-constructed and entertaining.

The ugly truth is that a lot of people don't try Harry Potter because it's a 'children's' book.

Incidentally, what do you read?

Last edited by Rizla; 02-28-2013 at 03:35 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:21 AM   #308
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
I'm attached to Jim through Harry. Without Harry, there'd be no attachment to Jim. I'm attached to authors so long as they are writing what I want to read.

It's nothing personal. It's not like I know the guy and have beers with him on the weekends. As long as he gives me Harry, I'm right there cheering him on, but it is Harry that I love.

This is getting weird even by my standards.
I think it's perfectly normal - for a reader with capable imagination. There are several authors reporting the characters "live" in their minds

(sometimes even telling their creators to stick the plot they currently planned somewhere where the sun don't shine, because they - the characters that is - planned it differently)

Isn't this what Heinlein referred to? Creation trough imagination.

Why shouldn't a reader develop awareness of this kind of life? That's IMHO the maximal level of immersion.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:26 AM   #309
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
I think it's perfectly normal - for a reader with capable imagination. There are several authors reporting the characters "live" in their minds

(sometimes even telling their creators to stick the plot they currently planned somewhere where the sun don't shine, because they - the characters that is - planned it differently)

Isn't this what Heinlein referred to? Creation trough imagination.

Why shouldn't a reader develop awareness of this kind of life? That's IMHO the maximal level of immersion.
Tolkien is a good example of that. When Strider first appeared in the story, he had no idea who he was and struggled for months with him before he realized who he was.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:04 AM   #310
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
I will try to read everything. If i am not enjoying a book then i will not struggle on with it. Life is too short for a bad book.

I have read most things and currently enjoy
Chick Lit
YA/New Adult
Paranormal romance - blame twilight then Kelley Armstrong (love all kelley Armstrong books)
thrillers
Anything with vamps/werewolves
and have read a few end of the world books too.

Have over 880 books on ereader and no plans to stop getting new freebies or new books

My OH constantly ribs me for my vamp books but hey ho never mind.
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #311
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
My partner is a voracious reader. Hundreds of books a year. Tough to ensure quality control when a pile of them are freebies. (She enjoys chatting to author-types seemingly).

She began reviewing them for something to do and did mention to one author (politely) about the sheer volume of spelling errors in one of his/her works.

He/She (I forget) replied with a VERY acerbic and inappropriate tirade of abuse.

So... "Snobbery?"
No. Come one, come all...

However, having access to the actual author allow this kind of insecure projection to happen. We will stick to "dead people" for a while.

Personally I am still struggling through my first book of the year... A page a day, whether I need it or not.

(Ash, James Herbert, great by the way)

Cheers for listening.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:15 AM   #312
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Some good points. But, the fact that I am not interested in Harry Potter has been returned with sneers from several people that I know. If one likes it fine. Currently :

The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks, Quiet(A book about introverts), Life of Pi (apparently famous and a film, but never heard of it in this icy corner of Asia), Just finished God is not Great, my last five:

1. Decisions for War, 1914–1917 Richard F. Hamilton, Holger H. Herwig. 284 pages. (4 stars)

2. Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney 256 pages. (2.5 stars)

3. The inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai. 384 pages. (3 stars)
Booker prize and all but a bit too convoluted at times.

4. How an Economy Grows and why it crashes by Peter D. Shiff and Andrew J. Shiff. 258 pages. (3 Stars). Some interesting Points even though I disagree with some of their views.

5. Solaris by Stanislaw Lem 224 pages. (4.5 stars). best book that I have read thus far.

Hope to speed up in the next two months have a lot of free time. Happy Reading Everyone.

P.S. I live Brain Candy too. Love slapstick and brainless films at times... Jackie Chan, Top Secret, bad B-movies. But Some Jurrasic no thanks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
But have you tried Harry Potter? It's like anything, and I'm the same. If I don't try something because of the 'type' (as I see it) of book it is, I am being narrow-minded and prejudiced. I've tried various books that I didn't think were my 'type' of books. That included Narnia and Harry Potter. I found Narnia to be poorly constructed and overrated (albeit with flashes of excellence). I also read Harry Potter reluctantly and discovered it's as good as Dickens (at least the first book). I watch movies reluctantly but Jurrasic Park was a well-constructed entertainment. I force myself to watch entertainment movies and 50% of the time, I'm glad I did. They are short and often well-constructed and entertaining.

The ugly truth is that a lot of people don't try Harry Potter because it's a 'children's' book.

Incidentally, what do you read?
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:16 AM   #313
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
I have read most things and currently enjoy
Chick Lit
YA/New Adult
Paranormal romance - blame twilight then Kelley Armstrong (love all kelley Armstrong books)
thrillers
Anything with vamps/werewolves
Some of that stuff sounds aimed at the female market. I read some J.D.Robb and Nalini Singh. I thought they both had a lot of merit, but I don't generally much enjoy detective stories (J.D.Robb, though she's clearly a gifted writer), and Nalini Singh was very well constructed, but it ultimately it didn't push my buttons. Perhaps because I am male.

I like YA stuff a lot though, when it's well written.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:24 AM   #314
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Solaris by Stanisław Lem...
It makes me regularly wonder why people freak so much! out about it. Yes it's definitely readable. But lightyears away from a reread. Could fit in a short story. Apart from the little mystery no real content.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #315
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Yes, I get criticized alot for wasting my time on the stuff I read.. My favorite genre is Chick-Lit.. Mary Kay Andrews is my favorite author, followed closely by Karen White, Michael Lee West, Dorothea Benton Frank etc. As of this year, time travel romances are catching my fancy...What can I say...I have a stressful job and read for pleasure not enlightenment.. People should read what they choose and respect others interests..
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote