Resets once per month 4 9.30%
Resets once per week 4 9.30%
Resets once every 2 days 1 2.33%
Resets every day 7 16.28%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
US Kindle WiFi 3 (NO 3G) Spontaneous Reset Problem

If you purchased a US Kindle WiFi 3 without 3G and live in the US, plese indicate your reset problem below. I'd like to accumulate the frequency of the spontaneous reset problem.

My second unit has been resetting once per week and I'm accepting it so far and that is how I voted.

My first unit reset several times each day and I had it replaced by Amazon.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-21-2010 at 05:58 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
zuul
Bookworm
zuul began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150 & Kindle
I don't know if my WiFi is resetting, but sure looks like my Kindle is resetting itself every day. I'm bookmarking before every chapter i read just in case it locks up. This is my second K3 so far. I'm hoping for a fix before i need to sent this one back too.

zuul
zuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Large eBook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuul View Post
I don't know if my WiFi is resetting, but sure looks like my Kindle is resetting itself every day. I'm bookmarking before every chapter i read just in case it locks up. This is my second K3 so far. I'm hoping for a fix before i need to sent this one back too.zuul
Do you happen to have a very large eBook on your unit? See this thread for others with the same problem:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105989
Old 11-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
You don't have a choice for my Kindle crash/reboot experience in your poll.

My Kindle WiFi has only had one spontaneous reset since I received it; I received it on October 8th. The page turn button suddenly wouldn't work when I pressed it and then the unit rebooted on its own. No problem before or since then. My Kindle came with firmware version 3.0.1 when I received it and it had version 3.0.2 on it at the time of the spontaneous reboot. It is currently running on firmware version 3.0.2.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I'm not sure about this. I don't think I've had one.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard

Closest fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
You don't have a choice for my Kindle crash/reboot experience in your poll.

My Kindle WiFi has only had one spontaneous reset since I received it; I received it on October 8th. The page turn button suddenly wouldn't work when I pressed it and then the unit rebooted on its own. No problem before or since then. My Kindle came with firmware version 3.0.1 when I received it and it had version 3.0.2 on it at the time of the spontaneous reboot. It is currently running on firmware version 3.0.2.

Holly
Your closest fit is once per month. The fact you had 3.0.2 on when you had your spontaneous reboot conforms with my experience of no spontaneous reboots with 3.0.1 and occassional ones with 3.0.2 and 3.0.3.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Your closest fit is once per month. The fact you had 3.0.2 on when you had your spontaneous reboot conforms with my experience of no spontaneous reboots with 3.0.1 and occassional ones with 3.0.2 and 3.0.3.
I wouldn't call those numbers particularly significant statistically since the period involved is short and the number of resets is low.

It is completely possible that the firmware does have some weird interaction with certain batches of Kindle 3 WiFis but diagnosing it ourselves is going to be difficult due to the unpredictable nature of the resets and the small sample set. I'd still just bug Kindle CS about it and see what they can do. More reports to them from various people means the bug or fault gets moved up in severity and importance.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard

Better poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
I wouldn't call those numbers particularly significant statistically since the period involved is short and the number of resets is low.
I constructed a better designed poll connecting the resets to the firmware version here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107991

Of course it will not be valid as well unless a lot more folks respond.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
phineas
phineas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Kindle 2 and iPad
I voted resets every day, but that was with my first 3 Kindle 3s (two of which were replaced by CS). When I asked for a refund and then bought a K3 new, it works fine. Supposition: There was a bad batch early on with bad firmware or hardware. Only a percentage of people got those bad ones early on. I was one of the unlucky ones.

I had resets in 3.0.0, 3.0.1, 3.0.2 and 3.0.3. It's not related to the firmware updates.
phineas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard

It appears to still be a problem for many.

As of today, Nov 23, 2010, at 9:15 AM EST it appears 32% are reporting the freeze / spontaneous reset problem.

Thus, some of our units either need a firmware change or a hardware replacement.

I called CS yesterday and they will be diagnosing my problem remotely.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
I'm not all that concerned about my Kindle having had just one crash/reboot in almost three months, but I would certainly be calling CS for replacement if it was occurring on a daily or weekly basis.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard

3.0.4 possibly released to a few........

If you go to this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=105989&page=3

There is an indication that the following firmware was released to a few folks:

3.0.4 (547000113)

I had called CS but so far I'm still on 3.0.3. Apparently that version was released to correct the spontaneous reset problem.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
Bethann
Bethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enoughBethann will become famous soon enough

Device: paperwhite, nook, Kobo mini
My vote "never had reset" should be changed to once as I had one happen today after I had been reading about 200 pages. Very frustrating! I have 3.0.3 version.

Last edited by Bethann; 12-01-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Bethann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #14
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
I'm reading this thread with interest as I just ordered two K3 EBRs and am just entering the ebook world.

If the reboot issue were bad enough, what EBR would you consider in place of the K3? Do any of the other EBRs have reports of similar behavior?

That's a little disconcerting and I hope it's not very widespread. I'm not sure I'd be interested in tolerating even one reboot/month. Shucks, my Windows PC doesn't spontaneously reboot. I'd sure like to think my EBR is rock solid.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #15
phineas
phineas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Kindle 2 and iPad
speedlever:

(Like your forum name.) There is nothing wrong with the Kindle 3. It's an excellent ereader, and I'm about to buy a second one for my wife. Many of us with the reboot problem have figured out how to prevent it. I haven't had any problems myself in two weeks.

The problem is with the Amazon K3 cover, the one that does *not* have the light in it.

For more info, please see these two Amazon discussion threads. Anyone who has or intends to buy a K3 *and* an Amazon case or cover should read these threads first.

http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/for...x27GBGHGFBDNOX

http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/cd/di...x17O3815XVEMVM

Last edited by phineas; 12-03-2010 at 08:11 AM.
phineas is offline   Reply With Quote