Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How Many Books on Your Device?
I load only what I'm reading at the moment 2 1.47%
I load just a few...10 or less 8 5.88%
I load 50 or less 27 19.85%
I load 100 or less......gotta have a decent selection to choose from! 22 16.18%
200 or less 22 16.18%
300 or less 17 12.50%
400 or less 0 0%
500 or less 8 5.88%
600 or less 5 3.68%
700 or less 2 1.47%
800 or less 3 2.21%
900 or less 1 0.74%
1000 or less 0 0%
1001+ (please let us know how many!) 11 8.09%
I load every e-book I have and love the ability to do so! 19 13.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I plan on doing is going through all the books I have on my 505 and all the ones I have started, I will finish and then delete them. I want to get down a bit in number of what I have on the 505. Then I'll take a look at my waiting list and start adding more on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #62
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
I've got 223 ebooks, all of which are loaded on my 505. I just like having my entire collection with me and knowing that I can choose whatever title fits my mood of the moment. Also got 2 x SD cards so am expecting to use those as well eventually.
I manage the library in Calibre and apply one, at most two tags to each title (plus any appropriate series info).
Backup is currently by having the ebooks on my external disk drive, with safe copy on the netbook as well. Another couple of months & I'll start burning CDs as backup.
Best thing though is having *all* my ebooks available - this can only get better as the collection expands.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #63
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
1) How many books do you carry on your reader?

2) Do you have an sd card slot?

3) If you are fortunate enough to have folders, how do you sort them?

4) Please post on why you carry the books you do. Or anything else you'd like to
comment on.

5) I've just topped 700 on my k1, and show no visible slowing down in page turning. It does take a little longer to 'wake up', but not much.

Its multiple choice.
1) currently 2125 on Sony another 1100 on Touch many are dups. of books on sony. I like having a book on both, it makes reading more portable. (i.e. I can read on the Touch when The Sony would be considered out of place.)

2) yes

3) Most by Author and others by genre.

4) I carry as much as I can on the Sony and Touch because I read rather rapidly and I read more than 1 book at a time.

5) Page turning on the Sony does not appear to be affected. However, the Touch seems to be slower loading. Also, it (the Touch) doesn't seem to like really large books.

Last edited by Tattncat; 10-17-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #64
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Holy Moly, tattencat!!! I believe we have a winner!

No, I'm not serious. But you give me hope that I've still got a ways to go before I'm 'full'.

May have to change out my 2G card, tho........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #65
peajayar
peajayar began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Quote:
How many books do you carry on your reader?
I have 27 at the moment on my ipod touch, using Stanza. Download of a book from Gutenberg Project via a wireless connection takes a matter of seconds. I do it as part of my home internet connection so it costs me nothing extra to that.

Quote:
Do you have an sd card slot?
No

Quote:
If you are fortunate enough to have folders, how do you sort them?
Stanza automatically puts them in folders by Title, Author, Subject and Latest Reads, and I can move between these folders with the tap of a finger. Within a folder sorting is alphabetical.

Quote:
Please post on why you carry the books you do. Or anything else you'd like to comment on.
All my ebooks to date are from gutenberg.org I choose books I never read earlier in my reading life and want to catch up on, and books, like WHitman's Leaves of Grass, that I dip into or search for quoted lines in. Am currently reading Robinson Crusoe.

I find the touch really easy to read on. Can change the size of type, font, light on dark, dark on light, all of those. Haven't put the battery life to test yet as I haven't taken it far from power points, like travelling overseas (I wish!) yet.

I live a 45 minute train ride from Wellington (NZ's capital city - am looking out my window at sheep on a hillside. In another direction I see the sea.) and when I am in town for appointments etc I tend to walk around, so being able to carry books (and a couple of games, and video lectures, and SimpleDraw etc) on one small device suits me fabulously.

At home I still tend to read books on paper and this is the kind I buy. So far. When I am working less (at nearly 70 I am not working full time) I will join the people who do copy editing etc for gutenberg.org. Go look at their site. http://www.gutenberg.org
peajayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 01:07 AM   #66
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
Approx 250.

On a site note:
KINDLE 2 DESPERATELY NEEDS A BETTER FOLDER MANAGEMENT :P
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:26 AM   #67
sapphiresilver
Connoisseur
sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Amazon Oasis 2, Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro
I have 219 ebooks in my Calibre library at the moment. I have a 16gb micro SD card in my phone and all of my books go on there, sorted by author and series. I like having all of my ebooks with me so I have whatever I might want to read with me when I'm on holiday.
sapphiresilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:09 AM   #68
chaogai
chaogai began at the beginning.

Device: bebook
0 or 1529. After flashing my bebook I cannot store books on it, so 0. But I have a 8 G SD card in it. With folders and sub-folders. What I think I might read gets on the SD card.
chaogai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:36 AM   #69
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have around 10 at a time, though if I am reading a series, then I pop the entire series in a folder and read it from there, so for me, that takes up one of my 10 arbitary slots....
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:48 AM   #70
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
A whole heap of books in my libraries, but I tend to keep only current reading in my 505: usually about ten books in different genres so that there's always something to suit my mood when I snatch some reading time. I don't get about much any more, so -- unlike others here who still leave their homes often -- there's no need for a huge supply of titles in the reader itself. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #71
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
A whole heap of books in my libraries, but I tend to keep only current reading in my 505: usually about ten books in different genres so that there's always something to suit my mood when I snatch some reading time. I don't get about much any more, so -- unlike others here who still leave their homes often -- there's no need for a huge supply of titles in the reader itself. Cheers. Neil
Neil -

I love your location!!!!
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #72
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
I have my whole collection of ebooks on my Sony, probably about 1500 I guess. They're spread out on a 1G MS and a 1G SD card, and on the Reader itself, and I have plenty of space left.

Sony doesn't support actual folders of course (though I wish, I wish, I wish), but I do put my books in collections.

I sort them in several different ways that might seem kind of flakey to some people, but it works for me.

Some I sort by author like:

Mark Twain
Charles Dickens
Edgar Allan Poe
Arthur Conan Doyle
Jules Verne
Wilkie Collins
Edgar Wallace
H.G. Wells
Aristotle
Thomas Paine, etc.

Most are sorted by genre/category:

Mystery
Ghost Stories
Science Fiction
Non-fiction
History - U.S. (in general)
History - Fiction
History - War (i.e. Civil war, the Revolution, World Wars, Spanish/American)
History - Place History (meaning the history of specific places, i.e. states, cities, countries . . . )
History - General (of other events such as various expeditions, voyages, etc.)
Native American (histories of individual tribes, war chiefs, etc.)

Then there's:

biography/autobiography (historical)
memoirs & letters (historical)
historical papers (i.e. inaugural addresses, etc.)

Some historical biographies are grouped by person if I have many books on them, such as:

Benjamin Franklin
George Washington
Abraham Lincoln
Christopher Columbus
U.S. Grant
Theodore Roosevelt

Then there’s multi-volume series, such as:

Beacon Lights of History
American Eloquence
Great Men and Famous Women
Half Century of Conflict
Great Events by Famous Historians
The Winning of the West
Wit and Humor of America

The reason I keep all of my books on my reader is, like many others, I never know what I’ll feel like reading next, and they’re always readily available no matter where I am. Also . . . just because I can. Having my entire collection on my Reader doesn’t slow it down at all, so why not?

I know. That’s TMI; more than you wanted to know, but . . .

You did ask.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #73
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
I have my whole collection of ebooks on my Sony, probably about 1500 I guess. They're spread out on a 1G MS and a 1G SD card, and on the Reader itself, and I have plenty of space left.

Sony doesn't support actual folders of course (though I wish, I wish, I wish), but I do put my books in collections.

I sort them in several different ways that might seem kind of flakey to some people, but it works for me.

Some I sort by author like:

Mark Twain
Charles Dickens
Edgar Allan Poe
Arthur Conan Doyle
Jules Verne
Wilkie Collins
Edgar Wallace
H.G. Wells
Aristotle
Thomas Paine, etc.

Most are sorted by genre/category:

Mystery
Ghost Stories
Science Fiction
Non-fiction
History - U.S. (in general)
History - Fiction
History - War (i.e. Civil war, the Revolution, World Wars, Spanish/American)
History - Place History (meaning the history of specific places, i.e. states, cities, countries . . . )
History - General (of other events such as various expeditions, voyages, etc.)
Native American (histories of individual tribes, war chiefs, etc.)

Then there's:

biography/autobiography (historical)
memoirs & letters (historical)
historical papers (i.e. inaugural addresses, etc.)

Some historical biographies are grouped by person if I have many books on them, such as:

Benjamin Franklin
George Washington
Abraham Lincoln
Christopher Columbus
U.S. Grant
Theodore Roosevelt

Then there’s multi-volume series, such as:

Beacon Lights of History
American Eloquence
Great Men and Famous Women
Half Century of Conflict
Great Events by Famous Historians
The Winning of the West
Wit and Humor of America

The reason I keep all of my books on my reader is, like many others, I never know what I’ll feel like reading next, and they’re always readily available no matter where I am. Also . . . just because I can. Having my entire collection on my Reader doesn’t slow it down at all, so why not?

I know. That’s TMI; more than you wanted to know, but . . .

You did ask.
I, for one, am glad you told us! I haven't used the Collection option yet to separate my books. Do you use that when creating your categories?
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #74
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Pushing 300

Why worry, there is still lots of room on the 4G SD card and I have a spare
Calibre is changing the way I filed things
Before: A folder for Series, Non-Series, Free sources like Baen Free Library,Suvudu, Paid sources like Webscriptions.
Now: drifting toward Author, (non)Series
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #75
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Uh well, I'm actually not sure. My Kindle is easy - about 15 - 20. The DR 1000s is much harder due to the number of folders that I have most of which are rpg game books, but lets call it about 200.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote