Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #766
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
AFAIK only Fire use new HD images.
Wow, that is strange. Hopefully an experimental version of KindleUnpack will help figure things out if it happens again.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #767
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronShep View Post
Will there be an AppleScript version with these corrections? I can't seem to find one posted.

Thanks again for everyone's work on this.
New AppleScript Wrapper and Kevin's 0.67 archive can now be found in the first post.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #768
msg7086
msg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
That is strange.

My bet is that the version from KPW somehow was referencing HD images?

KevinH
Sorry I forgot to mention that the azw3 files downloaded by and stored in KPW are only several hundreds kilobytes, not its full size (approx. 20+ MB).

I would guess that new KPW / Kindle start to use some new tech and download contents partially and progressively. (Just guess, need more research
msg7086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:54 AM   #769
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by msg7086 View Post
Sorry I forgot to mention that the azw3 files downloaded by and stored in KPW are only several hundreds kilobytes, not its full size (approx. 20+ MB).

I would guess that new KPW / Kindle start to use some new tech and download contents partially and progressively. (Just guess, need more research
I heard somewhere someone mention getting an azw3 and an azw6 file for some publications.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:08 AM   #770
msg7086
msg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toysmsg7086 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I heard somewhere someone mention getting an azw3 and an azw6 file for some publications.
Oh you are right I found a small azw3 file under documents/ and a larger azw6 under *.sdr/
msg7086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:15 AM   #771
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi,
I would be interested in understanding what an azw6 file really is. I wonder if it is either a palm container just of images or maybe a renamed zip or tar archive.

Have you tried playing around with it at all?

KevinH
Old 06-13-2014, 11:41 PM   #772
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Huh. Color me intrigued. Does anyone have a reproducible method to get delivered such a 'split' file?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #773
tkeo
Connoisseur
tkeo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite, Kobo Aura HD
Hi,
Quote:
So if you work converting epubs with page information, or use HD Images, I would live to get feedback as to whether it works for you or not.

Please let me know if you are willing to test it, and I will post it.
I have also made an experimental version that extract HD images. So, I would like to see your code.

Currently, I am refining the preview version for epub3, for bugfixes, clarity and other modifications.
I have changed the parameter to specify the epub version from a number to bit-flags.
Internal functions in mobi_opf.py are splited into three: for mobi7/azw4, for epub2 and for epub3. Added automatical determination of the epub version .
tkeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #774
KevinH
Sigil Developer

For Testing Only: KindleUnpack v070 Experimental

Hi tkeo,

This is alpha/beta quality code for testing purposes only.

It adds experimental support for the following:

- properly unpacking PAGE information from kindlegen generated PAGE sections to create page-map.xml in mobi 8 (this only works for mobi 8 part)

- create a new HDImage folder and populate it with HDImages but does not replace the corresponding image in either the old mobi or mobi 8

- very very experimental support for passing in an associated .apnx file with an .azw3 to generate a page-map.xml file.

****Important****, this will only work for apnx files that are not just made-up offsets, but were instead generated from an epub that had actual page information provided (and proper id= tags for the page start positions).

To try unpacking an azw3/apnx combination simply:

python kindleunpack.py -d -r -p PATH_TO_APNX PATH_TO_AZW3 PATH_TO_OUTPUT_DIR

Please post any successes or failures here with any of the new features. Please note, this has only been tested and shown to work for one ebook so far

NOTE: these experimental features code have been thrown together quickly to show proof of concept. It really really needs to be cleaned up before being used for any production purposes. In fact kindleunpack.py has reached the point it should be refactored and soon. Perhaps after tkeo's epub 3 features have been integrated.

Thanks,

KevinH
Attached Files
File Type: zip KindleUnpack_v070_experimental.zip (68.8 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by KevinH; 06-14-2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: caveat about very ugly code
Old 06-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #775
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Debug Tool: decode_apnx.py.zip

Also here is a quick and dirty python script to decode apnx files to return page names and offsets into the assembled text file (not the raw markup language file). It's command line parsing is not full unicode safe (yet). It is merely meant to demonstrate how to decode the apnx file when it is has different page numbering schemes.

Not very useful without the assembled_text.dat file but KindleUnpack's mobi_k8proc.py can be easily modified to generate that file.

NOTE: this code was thrown together very quickly to show proof of concept. It really really needs to be cleaned up before being used for any production purposes.

Hope this helps,

KevinH
Attached Files
File Type: zip decode_apnx.py.zip (1.6 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by KevinH; 06-14-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added caveat about how ugly the code is
Old 06-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #776
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Also here is a quick and dirty python script to decode apnx files to return page names and offsets into the assembled text file (not the raw markup language file).
Could you eventually use the same code to create a script that'll generate a "real" .apnx file from a book that contains a pagemap instead of the fake one that Calibre generates?

Speaking of pagemaps, the Kindle publishing guidelines don't specify whether KindleGen expects Adobe style pagemaps or ncx based pagemaps.
Can you tell from the reverse engineered books, what kind of pagemap KindleGen expects?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #777
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Doitsu: I *vaguely* remember something like that being merged in Calibre recently. Did I dream that? .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:24 AM   #778
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Doitsu: I *vaguely* remember something like that being merged in Calibre recently. Did I dream that? .
You remember correctly, I did some research and found this related thread. It looks like Kovid updated the .apnx code in Release: 1.39 to detect embedded <mbp:pagebreak/> tags.

Quote:
Kindle driver: When generating page numbers automatically, add an additional method to detect page boundaries, using the presence of <mbp:pagebreak> tags in the source of the book. You can use this setting by right clicking on the Kindle icon in calibre when the kindle is connected and choosing customize this device.
However, unless I misunderstood the above thread this appears to be a workaround that only works with Kindle books generated by Calibre as Amazon appears to use a different method to mark up page numbers.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #779
tkeo
Connoisseur
tkeo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite, Kobo Aura HD
Hi,

Because I don't have any books which have PAGE sections, I have just tested about HD image extraction of the exerimental version.
It seems working fine to extract HD images.

I have researched kindlegen's condition to shrink images.

The condition to shrink file size is that the size of image is larger than 819200(=800x1024)bytes perhaps. And one image's resolution is shrinked from 1600 x 2400 to 1347 x 2021 , the condition for resolution shrinking is unknown (not just from the file size). When srinking resolution, the html is not modified, so width and height in tag become not correspond to the image.

The followings is the result,

filename , source, in Images folder,
image0.jpg, 909934byte, 773356byte, has HD image
image1.jpg, 1298376byte, 365360byte, has HD image, shrinked to 1347x2021
image2.jpg, 1572736byte, 770304byte, has HD image
image3.jpg, 826567byte, 741256byte, has HD image
image4.jpg, 816893byte, 816896byte,
cover.jpg, 1645305byte, 770856byte, has HD image

I attach the test mobi.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi HDimage_test.mobi (16.74 MB, 168 views)
File Type: zip HDimage_test_src.zip (6.70 MB, 152 views)
tkeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #780
KevinH
Sigil Developer

hi,
Kindlegen will work with both page-map.xml or page list pageTarget info in the ncx just fine.

Yes, parsing the page-map.xml or the page list could easily be done in Calibre with a little extra work and actual offsets into the calibre equivalent of the assembled text could be generated.

Alternatively, a PAGE section could be added to the generated mobi8 azw3 since the PAGE section and APNX are very very similar.
Someone would have to create a patch for calibre azw3 code but it is not hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Could you eventually use the same code to create a script that'll generate a "real" .apnx file from a book that contains a pagemap instead of the fake one that Calibre generates?

Speaking of pagemaps, the Kindle publishing guidelines don't specify whether KindleGen expects Adobe style pagemaps or ncx based pagemaps.
Can you tell from the reverse engineered books, what kind of pagemap KindleGen expects?