Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Which size iPad did you buy?
16G wifi 23 30.26%
32G wifi 22 28.95%
64G wifi 31 40.79%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2010, 10:17 PM   #16
Bltprf502
Enthusiast
Bltprf502 doesn't litterBltprf502 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300S (GONE), Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kindle 3
I have showed up to the store 4 times to buy a 16... They say that it always the first to go and most popular one sold...and no I don't have one yet

Last edited by Bltprf502; 04-12-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Bltprf502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #17
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I read on another forum that a guy was returning a 16 to get a 64. The 16's were sold out so a customer in the store bought it from him full retail...... Bet I would't get that lucky.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #18
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I pre-ordered the 64 3G, does that count? I always try to get as much HD space as I can. Even if I just put in my ebooks (thousands of PDF) that would be about 15GB. I'm not going to put much music on and they will be at 128. My movies are the killer, 30GB easy and that's using rotation.

Last edited by pagansoul; 04-12-2010 at 07:13 AM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #19
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Just to have an idea, how much space does an average movie take?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #20
Bltprf502
Enthusiast
Bltprf502 doesn't litterBltprf502 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300S (GONE), Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Just to have an idea, how much space does an average movie take?
700mb to 1.5BG... I guess it really just depends. Older ones have been whittled down and are around 700. Newer ones are larger.

Last edited by Bltprf502; 04-12-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Bltprf502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #21
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Depends on how you convert them. Most of mine are about 1.5G
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #22
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
When it arrives in Germany, I will get the 3G version with 32GB.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #23
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
I've ordered the 64GB 3G version, too. Also mainly for PDFs and such, though I have some vids and audiobooks that take up a lot of room, too.

The waiting is the hardest! I do have a lovely dock and case, though.

Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #24
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
I got the 64 myself, because I didn't want to get less and wish I had more. If you're only going to use the device as a web-pad, then I think 16g is plenty. Apps aren't that large in themselves. If you're going to store music and video on it, that takes up a hefty chunk. I filled mine up with about 32g of personally ripped movies (love Handbrake), the iPad is great for watching movies on planes and I've had several positive comments from people sitting near me.
I haven't looked at handbrake in awhile. Do they have an ipad preset now? I have hundreds of movies ripped for apple tv using handbrake, I presume these should play fine on the ipad?
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #25
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

they don't have an ipad preset yet, but there's talk of developing one. honestly. i just rip everything with regular->high profile and am done with it. it'll take up some extra space on some devices, and look great on everything. not going to rip and rerip movies for each device i own, i'd have way too many copies of each movie!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #26
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
^ I agree, for the ipad, the setting I used (apple tv with some tweaks) should be fine.

But if i put anything on my iphone, I re-rip (from the atv file), as at ~2gig a movie that is too big for the iphone with the space I have left to play with. That said, I don't put movies on my iphone very often. Usually just on camping trips so the kids have something to watch at night.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #27
scottjl
Reader of Books

once i got the ipad, i removed all the movies from my iphone. i just don't see myself watching on the smaller screen any more, which left more room for music.

my iphone is getting set up to handle music, my travel apps (tripit and flightcheck), quick games to play while waiting in lines, "bite sized" information, like weather, stocks, sports scores. quickly reading email.

my ipad is now being delegated to reading ebooks, watching movies, web surfing, a few games (scrabble), surfing the web, email, reading RSS feeds, and "a mouthful" information apps (newspapers, magazines, etc.).

i didn't get a 3g ipad (not available yet) but can either find a free or cheap hotspot, or tether it to my iphone (MyWi works great) in a pinch, just being careful around AT&T.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #28
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
64 GB. I want it for photos to share, digital copies of DVD movies ("for the kids" ) when we vacation, and maybe a few games and fun apps, so bigger is better.

Also, that's all that they had in stock when I went to the store. (I'm not sure if I would have bought one if the 64GB had been out of stock.)
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #29
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
It can see the dilemma between which one to get, I'm leaning towards the 16 gig because I most likely just use it for apps, games, ebooks, web surfing and some movies and mp3's. My itouch is 8 gig and I have 100 apps on it with about 3 or 4 movies and 600 megs of music. So double that at 16 should be good for me.
What makes it difficult is no SD card slot or usb port to add memory cards or usb hard drives, so you can only load on stuff from computer at home or wifi movies online I guess. I wonder about bluetooth hard drive option, don't know the speed of something like that, but it might work.
With my laptops and netbook, I pretty much only load OS on it and bring usb hard drives with me filled with stuff, I would have liked an option like that on the IPAD.

Last edited by richman; 04-13-2010 at 03:20 PM.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:02 AM   #30
Ciaran
Ciaran began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I was going to get the 32gb since i know 16gb is too little on my iPhone for taking much videos with me on trips. I ended up with the 64gb instead since it was what was in stock at the store and I did not want to wait
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote