Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
For the Pocketbook 360: FBReader with page breaks & wrist pageturn

Our member SciFiFan again managed to create a marvelous little custom version of FBReader. The existing version of FBreader on the Pocketbook 360 is a couple generations out of date, and this custom version adds a few tweaks that improve usability. Not only does it feature page breaks before chapter beginnings (in ePub), but it also uses the motion sensor as a trigger for page turns. I don't know how he does that exactly, but he has created a mode where the automatic 360° mode is reduced to 180° up or down, right or left and a wrist movement turns pages, where a turn to the right turns a page back, while a wrist movement to the left moves a page forward! It works fine!

You should be aware that the pagebreak before the chapter counts as one paragraph. This leads to the fact that jumping back to your original reading place might be slightly erroneous the first time (you might have to move a page forward in later chapters)

It's here

http://code.google.com/p/fbreader-po...76_fbreader180

Just paste it in your system/bin! If you don't like it, just remove it from there! Don't forget to give SFF some HUGE K!

NB: I changed the link to a new version featuring a more sensible g-sensor and allowing to export external links!

Last edited by mtravellerh; 02-02-2010 at 03:17 AM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Our member SciFiFan again managed to create a small marvelous FBReader version. Not only does it feature pagebreaks before chapter beginnings (in ePub), but also features page turns using the g-sensor.
I thought that was already present in the current version of FBReader. It's certainly present on my Jetbook (which is running FBReader).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
SciFiFan
Connoisseur
SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PocketBook 360° (silbrig-weiss)
The PocketBook firmware uses an older fbreader (based one fbreader version 0.8.15), which doesn't support page breaks before chapters in EPUB yet. They have promised to port the current fbreader to PocketBook by March 2010. The newer versions of fbreader seem to add page breaks at the start of each htm file, and also when instructed via css. My solution adds a page break before each chapter, based on what is stored in the table of contents (toc.ncx) file. This is just a temporary solution until the current version of fbreader will be ported to PocketBook. I'm not a PocketBook developer, I'm doing this mainly for myself to make reading easier.
SciFiFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
This is magnificent.

I do not care for pagebreaks, but pageturning by means of accelerator sensor is great. Now I can build a very simple, very effective case for reading in bath or on the beach. Switch on the reader, open book, put into very simple waterproof box and turn pages by moving the entire box.
It is MUCH easier to make a box if you do not need to press any buttons while the device is inside.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Very cool. Thanks!
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
SciFiFan
Connoisseur
SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

There is a new version 'a' which reacts to a smaller tilt angle:
http://pbook.s3.amazonaws.com/fbreader_180b.zip

Please copy to directory /system/bin on the PocketBook.

Updated sources (just the changed files):
http://pbook.s3.amazonaws.com/fbreader_180b_src.zip

P.S. Links Updated to better 'b' version.

Last edited by SciFiFan; 12-18-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
sadowski
Connoisseur
sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, Kobo mini, PB mini
Great, I was waiting for this!

However:

The page turns appear to be different--no flashing, rather a slow morphing. That seems to be slower and also leaves after a while shadows of previous pages. Can the flashing somehow be turned on? Or is this a part of the porting which has not been done for this version of fbreader?

I could not figure out how to get the page turning via accelerator. If I switch the accelerator on, it still rotates pages to landscape.

Cheers,

Jens
sadowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:36 AM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadowski View Post
Great, I was waiting for this!

However:

The page turns appear to be different--no flashing, rather a slow morphing. That seems to be slower and also leaves after a while shadows of previous pages. Can the flashing somehow be turned on? Or is this a part of the porting which has not been done for this version of fbreader?

I could not figure out how to get the page turning via accelerator. If I switch the accelerator on, it still rotates pages to landscape.

Cheers,

Jens
I think those are 2 fundamentally separate questions:

1) SFF has added a new feature allowing for faster pageturns without full inversion. Per FBReader configuration you can turn that back to normal

2) There are a few options for page turning (also in FBReader configuration) You have to turn the 180° config on in order for the pageturning to work!

You may access the FBReader configuration by a short push on ok after having opened a book with FBReader!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:37 AM   #9
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
that's what I love about the 360... you can install other programs, fonts, etc.
mtravellerh, it seems like you communicate with the developers, could you ask them for a "to do list" application? something really simple
thanks!
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:18 AM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
that's what I love about the 360... you can install other programs, fonts, etc.
mtravellerh, it seems like you communicate with the developers, could you ask them for a "to do list" application? something really simple
thanks!
Yes, will do!

There is a new version of this now. It's now possible to adjust the sensibility level of the wrist turn and as extra bonus, external links are saved so that they can be followed when MM is connected to a PC!

http://pbook.s3.amazonaws.com/fbreader_180a.zip

I changed the adress in the original post, too!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Its probably me, but I've twice tried SFF's nice efforts and, while they do what they're supposed to do for epub, they seem to glitch the DOC, rtf, and prc parsing on my PB360; all I get in those other formats is run-on lines breaking in mid-word.
Is this a known issue (specific settings needed to get it to work right?) or am I the only one experiencing this behavior?
Just asking; I understand the situation perfectly---SFF is addressing his needs and graciously sharing his mod---so I'm not asking for a fix.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #12
SciFiFan
Connoisseur

I didn't change anything in the handling of these formats from the sources provided by PocketBook. Two questions:
1. What does the configuration of fbreader show for the hyphenation language for these files? It should show e.g. "auto (en)" if it detects English.
2. Can you send me (e.g. by board mail) a sample file which causes this problem? I don't have such problems with any of my files...
Old 12-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #13
sadowski
Connoisseur
sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, Kobo mini, PB mini
Sorry for my earlier complaints, now I see that there are two new settings for fbreader that answer the flashing+accelerator questions--works excellent.

Brilliant!

Jens
sadowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #14
mtravellerh
book creator

New version

1)Fine-tuning between 20 and 70 degrees wrist-turn now possible in 5 degree steps, so that you can choose what comes easiest to you!

2) full inverting at page turn now turned on by default!

http://pbook.s3.amazonaws.com/fbreader_180b.zip
Old 12-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #15
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Karma to SFF this "b" version rocks
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote