Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #16
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Wow, I didn't know Mobileread caused damage to Amazon's bottom line! What's next? Only have a forum dedicated to the kindle? Beware the young upstarts!

Last edited by Spartacus2112; 03-12-2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: more
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I am not a happy duck.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #18
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
And I am not a happy piggie. Which is why I am no longer recommending the Kindle to anyone.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Exactly. And they only pointed at kindlepid.py in the notice.
Since they never mentioned kindlefix.py, can we have that back with links allover the place to Mobipocket Desktop 6.0?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #20
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
You've got to love it when their first action is a DMCA takedown notice. This is hardly The Pirate Bay. Wouldn't a simple "Please don't link to it" have allowed the site to stay on friendly terms?
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #21
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Not being in the US, I'm not affected directly.
But, as an example of Amazon's business practice, this stinks!

I shall be taking my custom elsewhere in future.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #22
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Not being in the US, I'm not affected directly.
But, as an example of Amazon's business practice, this stinks!

I shall be taking my custom elsewhere in future.
i suspect a lot of us will (myself included).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #23
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I hadn't heard of kindlepid.py before this. Thank you, Amazon, for making me aware of the existence of this tool. I think it's very nice of them to help spread the word.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #24
hircus
hircus began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N810
As Cory Doctorow noted, Amazon is a wonderful company -- until they start selling digital products (music excepted). This is just ridiculous. They strip their customers' first-sale right, they don't even buy back used copies themselves, and now you cannot even buy from another store!
hircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #25
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I am not a happy duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
And I am not a happy piggie. Which is why I am no longer recommending the Kindle to anyone.

I was wondering if you gals had seen this. I still bought DVD's and MP3's from Amazon, even though they didn't sell ebooks I could buy. I wonder if they will even notice that I'm not spending a couple hundred $$$$ per year with them from now on. Probably not, but I don't want to contribute to Big (Bookseller) Brother anymore. It will make my life less convenient to not have them as my primary go-to site for electronics, movies, and music.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jeff Bezos has been on TV somewhat plugging the K2. But what he purposely doesn't tell people is that once you get a Kindle, they own you.

My suggestion is that anyone who has a K2, return it since it's less then 30-days and include a letter telling Amazon EXACTLY why you are returning it. Let them know how disgusted you are at this DMCA notice. Maybe they will listen, but probably not. But it cannot hurt to try. Then go out and get a Sony or EZ Reader/BeBook or Gen3 and be happy Amazon no longer owns you.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-12-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #27
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I use mobidedrm to strip the drm off books I buy from Fictionwise so I can use them on my PRS-505. If I couldn't do that then Fictionwise (And the publisher) just wouldn't see any money from me. And yet I'm breaking the law.

It's madness.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #28
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
re: Fictionwise

BARNES & NOBLE:
Are you taking notes? This is a great example of how to alienate loyal customers.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flub View Post
I use mobidedrm to strip the drm off books I buy from Fictionwise so I can use them on my PRS-505. If I couldn't do that then Fictionwise (And the publisher) just wouldn't see any money from me. And yet I'm breaking the law.

It's madness.
If you had a Kindle, you would be risking Amazon actually seeing the illegal content on your Kindle.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #30
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I think it fair for Amazon just to request that. If was Sony they just send their legal team down, even if they can't win, but they make the fourms oweners pay.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote