Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #61
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Roboform is a password manager/form filler. It makes it easy to have a unique password to every web site you use. they are all stored under a single master password. It will gen the passwords for you too. It also has wallet/indenty form filling features. All my web passwords are randomly generated 15 characters long. (The only passwords I know it my head are my gmail and paypal) The built in password stuff in FF doesn't compare.

It is free for I think up to 10 remembered web locations. Then you have to pay for it. I have two copies, one for my work and one for my home PC. I sync them using dropbox which is free. There is also a portable version that will run from a USB key if you use alot of public PCs or travel or whatever.

BOb
ah nice... i should probably look into that as well.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #62
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Uh.. no. I would say stick with IE7 over Opera. It just doesn't work on alot of popular sites.
I've been using Opera for... 10 years? Ever since version 3.something. And I would never change back to anything else. If it doesn't work with a site (better: if a site is designed to keep Opera away) I just ignore that site.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #63
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I've been using Opera for... 10 years? Ever since version 3.something. And I would never change back to anything else. If it doesn't work with a site (better: if a site is designed to keep Opera away) I just ignore that site.
gmail to name one.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #64
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i've got nothing against opera and i test the sites i make to be sure they work using it, but opera does interpret css rules differently from other browsers which means i have to make special conditional comments just for opera if i want the same appearance on all browsers. i would like opera much better if this were not the case. i will say though that it's much better than IE.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #65
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
gmail to name one.
I don't have any problems with gmail in Opera
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #66
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I don't have any problems with gmail in Opera
the only problem i have with gmail in opera (but it's enough to keep me from using it) is that when i click "open in new window" (which i frequently do, to have the mail i'm replying to in reference next to my reply), the "new window" cannot leave the inside of the current window if i slide it to the side, it will disappear under the edge of the original window. what in god's name is the point of that ??? i don't know what genius came up with that behavior but it drives me crazy.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #67
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
why not ? is there a specific reason you don't want to change browser ? if it's just because you're used to it, i promise you that firefox (for example) is really not any more difficult to use than IE, however it works much better, is more standards-compliant, and has fewer security holes than IE. IE is a BAD BROWSER (not standards compliant, full of security holes, many many quirks... problems interpreting anchor links, for instance... ). you shouldn't use it. you wouldn't have this problem if you just change browsers for instance, wouldn't that make you happy ?
Hang on a sec will ya. It just took me an hour to install Firefox U3 on cruzer USB drive and to get it to work properly. First thing I saw was llamas and reply to mobile read clip on left of screen. Looks good so far. A lot of painting going on, maybe because it is on USB mini drive.

I'm giving it a test drive..this may take a while, I've been using IE for so long.

If this can keep everything separate on the USB drive I intend to use it.

Wish me luck. (but if any problems with others on my PC using IE then it's gotta go.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #68
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
the "new window" cannot leave the inside of the current window if i slide it to the side, it will disappear under the edge of the original window. what in god's name is the point of that ???
That's a "new page" in Opera's parlance. Many years ago, Opera was the first browser to have "tabs", and back then they were called "windows" (well, I think Opera calls them "tabs" now too). It was one of the features that made me love Opera at first sight. Instead of having the desktop full of browser windows, I could have my several open web pages in a single Opera window (with pages/tabs inside).

You can always right-click on the tab button (in the tab bar) and select "detach", that should create a new window at desktop level. Or you can go to Preferences > Advanced > Tabs > Additional tabs options and check "Open windows instead of tabs". Most things in Opera can be configured.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #69
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Hang on a sec will ya. It just took me an hour to install Firefox U3 on cruzer USB drive and to get it to work properly. First thing I saw was llamas and reply to mobile read clip on left of screen. Looks good so far. A lot of painting going on, maybe because it is on USB mini drive.

I'm giving it a test drive..this may take a while, I've been using IE for so long.

If this can keep everything separate on the USB drive I intend to use it.

Wish me luck. (but if any problems with others on my PC using IE then it's gotta go.
brilliant, i'm glad to hear you are trying it out ! it won't cause any problems with your pc or with ie, even if you install the non-portable version, really.

the only trouble you may have using the portable version from a flash drive is it might be a bit slower, that is because reading from a flash drive can sometimes be slower than reading from an internal drive. since it's portable, why not try just copying it to a folder on your internal drive, if the slowness gets annoying ? it still won't be installed, and you can easily delete it if you want. but it should run a bit faster. and you can take a look at some of the extra features as well, like add-ons, on mozilla.org.

just a question, what do you mean by painting ?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #70
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

just a question, what do you mean by painting ?
Graphics being painted in noticeable steps.

Already liking the spell checker.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #71
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
That's a "new page" in Opera's parlance. Many years ago, Opera was the first browser to have "tabs", and back then they were called "windows" (well, I think Opera calls them "tabs" now too). It was one of the features that made me love Opera at first sight. Instead of having the desktop full of browser windows, I could have my several open web pages in a single Opera window (with pages/tabs inside).

You can always right-click on the tab button (in the tab bar) and select "detach", that should create a new window at desktop level. Or you can go to Preferences > Advanced > Tabs > Additional tabs options and check "Open windows instead of tabs". Most things in Opera can be configured.
no, i'm talking about a pop-up window which is mobile and not docked in the tab bar ; i can slide it around, however i cannot slide it out of the viewport. i just tried to right click on the title bar, nothing happened. i can take a screen shot if you don't know what i mean. it's a pop-up window which is opened when you click on the "new window" button in the gmail interface.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #72
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Graphics being painted in noticeable steps.

Already liking the spell checker.
i'm trying really hard to resist saying "i told you so !" hehehe... glad you like it. that's a feature i really appreciate as well. the painting is probably from browsing from a flash drive ; try placing the portable version on your hard drive to make it run faster.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #73
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:
i'm trying really hard to resist saying "i told you so !" hehehe... glad you like it. that's a feature i really appreciate as well. the painting is probably from browsing from a flash drive ; try placing the portable version on your hard drive to make it run faster.
I've been trying to move the portable version from the flash drive to a folder on my hard drive, but I can find hide nor hair of any mention of firefox on the flash drive. I just click on a new little launchpad icon and select firefox. Try to look in USB drive for firefox using Windows Explore to, at the minimum, put a shortcut onto my desktop but can't find anything.

I'm not sure If I can download the portable version and run from hard drive. Vista gave me big error that program must be run from USB.

Anyway, it's fun lookin at all these new screens.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #74
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
since it's portable, why not try just copying it to a folder on your internal drive, if the slowness gets annoying ? it still won't be installed, and you can easily delete it if you want. but it should run a bit faster.
I don't think you can do that with the U3 version. U3 apps basically "install" on the USB drive. It has it's own little mirror of various windows system folders. I think there is also a registry re director.

I agree... just install it properly on the PC and don't make it the default browser. It will not conflict with the OS or IE in any way.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #75
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
It works fine in IE6 and IE7. Maybe it's something not directly related to the browser?

BTW, I love IE7. Stop hurting my feelings, people!
Over is offline   Reply With Quote