Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #31
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Excellent that shortcut seems correct and it should always be the same. Basically what it does it (by using goto=newpost inside the URL) is to rewrite the URL so it jumps to the latest unread post. Alright. With the next update, could you also post the resulting URL that appears in your address bar after you clicked on the arrow?
Your post allowed me to click on next new post. It took me to your new post. Url at top of screen is as follows:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...487#post330487
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #32
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Your post allowed me to click on next new post. It took me to your new post. Url at top of screen is as follows:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...487#post330487
Good. This is correct. The number you see here (post330487) shows the id of the post your browser is supposed to scroll to. If you click on the link you posted (which scrolls you to my earlier post), you see on the top right of my post a number (#30). If you hover over it with your mouse, you should see the same post id that you were redirected to.

At this point I am out of ideas why at times your browser seems to jump to the wrong unread post. The best is if you keep us updated as soon as it happens again and post the relevant links here.

Another thought: Are you using different browsers?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #33
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i seem to remember having trouble with IE and named anchors a while back, it was not correctly jumping to them. maybe it's just a bug in IE (*gasp* !!). i can't remember how i managed to fix the problem myself though, sorry.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #34
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Good. This is correct. The number you see here (post330487) shows the id of the post your browser is supposed to scroll to. If you click on the link you posted (which scrolls you to my earlier post), you see on the top right of my post a number (#30). If you hover over it with your mouse, you should see the same post id that you were redirected to.

At this point I am out of ideas why at times your browser seems to jump to the wrong unread post. The best is if you keep us updated as soon as it happens again and post the relevant links here.

Another thought: Are you using different browsers?
No, I always use the same browser. Other than copying the shortcut everytime I go to look at a new post, I don't know how I can further a solution. I'll see if there is any rhyme or reason as to why I'm not getting repositioned at the new post.

Thanks for your help. Maybe if more members have the same problem we can pin it down.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #35
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Other than copying the shortcut everytime I go to look at a new post, ...
Thanks. This might help us to solve the problem.
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #36
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Some new hints, maybe....

Quote:
Other than copying the shortcut everytime I go to look at a new post,...
Quote:
Thanks. This might help us to solve the problem.
I have been copying the shortcut before going to new posts (the shortcut contains the newpost keyword). Sometimes it takes me there but most times I get put at the top of the last page. However I have noticed the following:

1. The post# in the URL at the top of the screen is the correct post#, yet I may have to scroll down a few pages to find the new post.

2. If I am incorrectly positioned at the top of the last page and hit enter, nothing happens, BUT...

3. If I highlight the URL at the top of the page, then hit enter, I am repositioned at the proper post.

Hope this helps. WDE

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 01-19-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:16 PM   #37
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:
I have been copying the shortcut before going to new posts (the shortcut contains the newpost keyword). Sometimes it takes me there but most times I get put at the top of the last page. However I have noticed the following:

1. The post# in the URL at the top of the screen is the correct post#, yet I may have to scroll down a few pages to find the new post.

2. If I am incorrectly positioned at the top of the last page and hit enter, nothing happens, BUT...

3. If I highlight the URL at the top of the page, then hit enter, I am repositioned at the proper post.

Hope this helps. WDE
4. If I hit the refresh arrows at the top of screen (this probably does the same thing as #3) it may take a second or 2, but I will be positioned at the correct post, matching the post# in the URL.

This sounds like IE problem, yes?/no?

WDE.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:11 AM   #38
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Hmm. I have an idea. Will look into it today.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:59 AM   #39
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

It occured to me that using Internet Explorer, it sometimes takes a _long_ time to display threads. It seems that the pages are waiting until everything loads and then the entire page just 'pops' into view. This, in turn, causes IE to occasionally misplace anchored links - which is why the "go to first unread post" didn't always work for you.

The culprit, I believe, was the Quick Reply box near the bottom of the page; in particular the formatting controls (bold, italic, etc.) took a long time to initialize with IE. So what I did is to remove these controls. The quick reply box is still there, of course, and I don't believe many will miss these controls anyhow (you can always use the standard reply button to have all controls available). At least on my computer using IE, the page loading speed has improved.

Perhaps we'll make it a user option to customize the quick reply box, which would allow you to disable it completely to further increase loading speeds.

Feedback appreciated.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #40
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:
Feedback appreciated.
Hi Alex, here is some feedback. I'm not sure if you have implemented your changes yet, but the new posts did seem to display somewhat quicker this morning. These are the results of the 8 new posts that I clicked on:

3 of them repositioned to the right new post
1 of them repositioned to the quick response at the bottom of page
4 of them repositioned to the top of the last page, a refresh of the screen would reposition to the right new post.

Your efforts to alleviate this problem are appreciated.

Thanks.WDE
Old 01-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #41
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Hi WDE,

yes we've already implemented the changes. At this point, I don't think there is anything we can do other to make it an option for users to turn off the Quick Reply all together (assuming this is the culprit, which I believe it is).
Old 01-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #42
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi WDE,

yes we've already implemented the changes. At this point, I don't think there is anything we can do other to make it an option for users to turn off the Quick Reply all together (assuming this is the culprit, which I believe it is).
alex, if you make it optional, can you add back the B I etc. buttons for those who do display it ? i miss those (and i'm not using IE).
Old 01-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #43
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Yeah I will. Apparently it doesn't even matter, since WDE seems to be having the same issues.

Honestly, I am stunned by this problem. It is IE-only, and occurs randomly. My guess is it has to do with various factors, like, how fast your connection is, how fast the page loads, and how fast IE initializes the Javascript for the reply box. If things take too long, IE wouldn't jump the the proper anchor link. Stupid IE.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #44
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Yeah I will. Honestly, I am stunned by this problem. It is apparently IE-only, and apparently occurs only occasionally. My guess is it has to do with various factors, like, how fast your connection is, how fast the page loads, and how fast IE initializes the Javascript for the reply box. Stupid IE.
can't say THAT enough !! (seriously, WDE, here's how to fix your problem : get firefox. problem solved ! )
Old 01-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #45
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
can't say THAT enough !! (seriously, WDE, here's how to fix your problem : get firefox. problem solved ! )
Or chrome or Safari or IE8 beta.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote