Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2008, 02:42 AM   #1
lostatsea
lostatsea began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sharing books between readers

I convinced my mother to buy a Sony Reader 505 with the belief that we would be able to share content. Needless to say, we were a bit surprised when we tried to log into my Sony Connect account on her PC to register her reader only to be told that only one Sony Connect account could be registered to her PC (she created her own account first).

So is the book sharing on 6 devices a bunch of nonsense in this case? I guess if you lived in the same household and shared a credit card it would make sense to have a single family Sony Connect login.

Is there anyway around this? It is not like we are trying to allow more than the legal six devices per book purchase.
lostatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can share content, but you have to register all the Readers that want to "share" to the same account. You can have up to 6 devices - any combination of PCs and Readers - registered to the same account.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2008, 04:19 AM   #3
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think all you need to do is unregister your mother's PC from her Sony account and then you should be able to register that PC with your own account. Then you'll both need to buy eBooks through the same account but those eBooks can be put on both devices.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
I think all you need to do is unregister your mother's PC from her Sony account and then you should be able to register that PC with your own account. Then you'll both need to buy eBooks through the same account but those eBooks can be put on both devices.
I would not unregister the PC. I would simply use two separate Windows user accounts on the PC. Each account can be separately tied to a Sony ebookstore account. This way, you can register and unregister each Reader from either Sony account much more easily, and make book sharing MUCH easier.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
lostatsea
lostatsea began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
I would not unregister the PC. I would simply use two separate Windows user accounts on the PC. Each account can be separately tied to a Sony ebookstore account. This way, you can register and unregister each Reader from either Sony account much more easily, and make book sharing MUCH easier.
Thanks, this seems like the most logical and least intrusive. So it sounds like she will only be able to read either the books I purchased or she purchased, but not both libraries at the same time.

How do the other book sources, like Fictionwise work? Do you have to register different devices or is there a limited number of downloads?
lostatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
So is the book sharing on 6 devices a bunch of nonsense in this case? I guess if you lived in the same household and shared a credit card it would make sense to have a single family Sony Connect login.
It's not nonsense at all. But, you need to have 1 Sony account. Is there a reason you don't want to share an account? I assume perhaps you don't want all purchases to go on one card? Would be nice if Sony would allow you to register more than one CC.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
How do the other book sources, like Fictionwise work? Do you have to register different devices or is there a limited number of downloads?
It depends on what you are doing. If you are using a Sony reader you really have to buy nonDRM ebooks to get the Sony format. In that case there is no registering devices... the book will work on any device you put it on.

Sony does not support any of the DRMed formats on Fictionwise. So, you would need to remove the DRM and convert the format to the Sony format. Once you do this, since there is no DRM the ebook will work on both devices.

Generally the Mobipocket and eReader DRM formats on fictionwise allow for multiple devcies, but a bit differently. For mobipocket format you register a device id (PID) with the store. You can have up to 4 PIDs registered and any book you download will work on any of those 4 devices. With eReader when you read the book you have to enter your credit card number and name that you used to buy the book. However, there are no eReader eInk devices.

Hth,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote