Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #61
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I am not even considering 700 without dictionary support.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #62
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i also consider dictionary support essential and frankly i don't understand why sony has not yet implemented it. but with the 700's touchscreen it would be absurd not to have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
I'm all for dictionary support, but I would like it to be an option, configurable by the person using the reader.

I'd like to have a "Dictionary Mode ON" option, whereby highlighting the word and double-tapping would automatically open the dictionary, showing the definition, in the other half of the screen from where the highlighted word is showing in the text.

With "Dictionary Mode OFF" set in the options, double-tapping the highlighted word might bring up a submenu of options, such as "Search; Add To Notes; Annotate; Dictionary" and whatever other options the device can handle.

I don't care for audible pronunciation, but if it can be done without bulking up the device and definitely not including a speaker, so that people who want pronunciation have to use earbuds, I won't mind (always provided it doesn't increase the cost of the device!)
that sounds like a good way to implement it.

also i'd like to have multiple dictionaries possible with all results being proposed (where applicable) and be able to browse the dictionary like any book.

and ideally, the dictionary selection should not be tied to the language code of the book : for instance, if i am reading a book in french and it has an italian phrase in it which is not translated, i would like to be able to look up a word in an italian dictionary from the french book, as well as using the french dictionary.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #63
Hans Castorp
Hans Castorp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Dictionary support is a must have absolutely!!! I'm planning to buy this reader but only if the "Look up dictionary" support will be available, I'm not an english mother tongue and Dictionary during my reading sessions it's my usual companion.... no way without it!
I'm a perfect newbie about these kind of devices , but other old members of this great forum maybe could answer to this question: there is the possibility to implement "Dictionary" on the PRS-700 (I don't know maybe with a new firmware) or we must wait for a new Sony model?!

p.s: sorry for my bad english :-)

Last edited by Hans Castorp; 10-25-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Hans Castorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:22 PM   #64
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
also i'd like to have multiple dictionaries possible with all results being proposed (where applicable) and be able to browse the dictionary like any book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Even though this is a 100 year old dictionary, I hope you find it useful. I know some people will probably read it like a book....
ZP, is just the person I had in mind when I wrote the above in bold!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #65
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Dictionary support is essential feature for me, but I am not sure that the best way to handle it is for Sony to bundle it with every PRS-700.

It is obvious to me that this feature is not essential for a whole bunch of users, and the question is why should they be forced to pay for the content that they don't want?

What I want from Sony is to make their reading software "dictionary aware", handle word selection and provide clear interface for launching external dictionaries. If that is done, the community will kick in with "non-copyrighted" solutions, and content providers (Merriam-Webster, Oxford) would hopefully be able to sell us one of their dictionaries that can fit our individual needs and pockets.

My 2 cents.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #66
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
If they provide dictionary support on the 700, I'll probably be trading up from the 500 to the 700 for both my wife and I. I don't think I'll be buying it in anticipation that they'll provide a dictionary lookup feature. With my luck, if I bought a 700 right now, they'll provide a dictionary lookup feature in the 705, and not bother with it for the 700.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:52 PM   #67
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Signed..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #68
humzai
humzai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Dictionary support is essential feature for me, but I am not sure that the best way to handle it is for Sony to bundle it with every PRS-700.

It is obvious to me that this feature is not essential for a whole bunch of users, and the question is why should they be forced to pay for the content that they don't want?

What I want from Sony is to make their reading software "dictionary aware", handle word selection and provide clear interface for launching external dictionaries. If that is done, the community will kick in with "non-copyrighted" solutions, and content providers (Merriam-Webster, Oxford) would hopefully be able to sell us one of their dictionaries that can fit our individual needs and pockets.

My 2 cents.
That is one of the oddest arguments I have ever seen, someone supporting the lack of a feature. People would be not be paying extra for it. The device is going to cost $400 and the feature is one that should already be implemented to compete with the kindle. You think it makes sense that after paying that amount for the device we should outlay more money for a dictionary. That is beyond preposterous considering it has to compete with whispernet. While the new features are nice it will cost nearly a hundred more then the kindle after Oprah's discount, and would go a great deal further to interest many people in the device. I plan on replacing my kindle with a prs 700 because I expect them to provide the feature later one but many people will wait.
humzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #69
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
My guess is that the code for lookup is there or almost ready but the hold-up is getting licenses for dictionary data and/or converting it into the necessary format. I expect the official dictionary support to be added in a future firmware update.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #70
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
My guess is that the code for lookup is there or almost ready but the hold-up is getting licenses for dictionary data and/or converting it into the necessary format. I expect the official dictionary support to be added in a future firmware update.
You should hope . You DO know you're our fail-safe option
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #71
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
You should hope . You DO know you're our fail-safe option
yep...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #72
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
English is not my native language. I have started to learn English when I was more than 18 years old.
Yet, at the moment I am reading more than 20 English books for one in several other languages I can comfortably read in combined.
This is the way I am improving my English skills. It is also much easier to get an English book for my Reader on the net. Just have a look at the numbers of English versus non-English books at the Project Gutenberg or other popular source of Public domain Books.

I have read well over a thousand books in English, yet I make point of NOT using dictionary while reading. If I can't read the book comfortably without a dictionary, I will not have pleasure reading it.

When I began reading books in English I was not very advanced student of English. I had to abandon many books because there were too many words I did not recognize, or the language was too colorful or elaborate. Very often I would borrow an English book from a "Foreign language library" in my town and I found translated words written in pencil in the book. This always spoiled my reading pleasure and made me angry. Yet, I very soon learned not to despair. Usually such an ... aehm ... "translator" lost interest after "translating" less than 10 pages and I have never discovered such translations beyond page 20.

For me there is also other consideration.
I often translate from and to English as a part of my job. I translate written text and also I interpret for people or make phone calls to our business partners.
When I am translating to English I try to avoid using dictionary (paper, on-line, software) as long as possible. I usually look up those few words I could not translate from my head after all the rest of text is translated.
The reason is, I have discovered that my brain is very, *very* lazy. When I look up the first word I soon discover that I have to look up words more and more frequently and I end up looking up words I am normally able to translate on-the-fly without hesitation.

This is another reason I am avoiding dictionaries as much as possible while reading for pleasure.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but there *are* people that are not interested in having a Dictionary on their Reader.
Do not worry. I am planning to get PRS-700 even if it DOES have a dictionary ;-)
Just do not expect me to pay extra for one
kacir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #73
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by humzai View Post
That is one of the oddest arguments I have ever seen, someone supporting the lack of a feature.
You misunderstood me. I said that "dictionary support is essential feature for me". That means that I will not consider buying PRS-700 unless there is a decent dictionary support.

Quote:
People would be not be paying extra for it.
That depends on the price and the quality of the content that is offered for sale. Merriam-Webster and Oxford offer different "sizes" of their dictionaries, obviously there are those who want and are willing to pay for reference works.

Quote:
The device is going to cost $400 and the feature is one that should already be implemented to compete with the kindle. You think it makes sense that after paying that amount for the device we should outlay more money for a dictionary. That is beyond preposterous considering it has to compete with whispernet.
I am not justifying nor defending the price of the device. I am saying that business model where dictionary is optional is better for both Sony and for us as customers. Collins is offering basic English dictionary for mobipocket at a price of $13.99, here:
http://www.collinslanguage.com/shop/...obipocket.aspx

I expect to see similar prices for Sony reader, and I want competition and choice when it comes to the dictionaries that one can purchase and use on the reader.

I see Sony as a platform provider, and I want that device enabled for dictionary integration, but I want a choice which dictionary I will load and use with it. Some of us might opt to read in languages other than English, and "standard" dictionary should not be forced on them.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #74
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
This is another reason I am avoiding dictionaries as much as possible while reading for pleasure.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but there *are* people that are not interested in having a Dictionary on their Reader.
Do not worry. I am planning to get PRS-700 even if it DOES have a dictionary ;-)
Just do not expect me to pay extra for one
Ummm ... you do realize that even if there is a dictionary on your reading device, no one will actually force you to use it??
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #75
humzai
humzai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
You misunderstood me. I said that "dictionary support is essential feature for me". That means that I will not consider buying PRS-700 unless there is a decent dictionary support.

That depends on the price and the quality of the content that is offered for sale. Merriam-Webster and Oxford offer different "sizes" of their dictionaries, obviously there are those who want and are willing to pay for reference works.

I am not justifying nor defending the price of the device. I am saying that business model where dictionary is optional is better for both Sony and for us as customers. Collins is offering basic English dictionary for mobipocket at a price of $13.99, here:
http://www.collinslanguage.com/shop/...obipocket.aspx

I expect to see similar prices for Sony reader, and I want competition and choice when it comes to the dictionaries that one can purchase and use on the reader.

I see Sony as a platform provider, and I want that device enabled for dictionary integration, but I want a choice which dictionary I will load and use with it. Some of us might opt to read in languages other than English, and "standard" dictionary should not be forced on them.
^ haha

I want Sony to provide the prs 700 with both dictionary support and a free dictionary. I do hope that they choose provide an intelligent solution to the integration of a dictionary. The option for multiple dictionarys and whatever dictionary we choose. I expect them to do this to keep customers happy and to make the device more competitive in the marketplace.
humzai is offline   Reply With Quote