Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
diana.stout
diana.stout began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 505
Series Info HELP!

I am a series reader... fantasy series, romance series, vampire series, etc. At one point I had converted everything (using calibre) and put in series title and book number.

After I put in a memory card, I was trying to reorganize (i.e. put books that I'm not planning to read anytime soon on the SD card). At some point my 505 seemed to kind of lock up. So I had to do a reset.

Then, all my series information, bookmarks, all that stuff is gone. But I can't figure out how to re do everything and get the series (etc.) info on there. It doesn't even show the "series" line (even though I have that box checked).

It's driving me nuts to have to go online to look up which book to read next... or try to figure it out...

Please help!
Diana
diana.stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
diana.stout

Also, I just plugged in to my Sony Reader software to see if I could figure anything out - and it is saying there's an ERROR on my SD card and it isn't recognizing it at all.

Help!
diana
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
How did you try to reorganise? Just attached it to your computer and moved them around?

One thing that comes to mind for fixing the error message is putting the SD card in a reader on your PC and do a file system check with whatever OS you have on your desktop. If that doesn't help, you could search the card for an XML file, it could be corrupted. If you delete it, your reader will rebuild the book index but you will definitely lose all bookmarks and other meta-information.

Regarding series, what I have found is that once you start to use series, you NEED to use Calibre to transfer the files - just schlepping them on using USB isn't going to get you the series, AFAIK. My solution so far has been to use title names with the series name and a number in the title, that way you can always find book X of series Y, whether you've screwed up the series or not. This might not work for the "purists"

The bookmarks might well be lost, I had that a couple of times before

Last edited by acidzebra; 07-24-2008 at 11:21 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use COLLECTIONS! You can set them up by series and then put each book in the proper collection and have them in reading order. Works very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
diana.stout

Ooh! I found collections. That could work, I'm trying it now.

As far as the card and XML scan or whatever? You went way over my head... Do you mean something other than my e-reader to connect the card to the computer? I don't think I have one of those.
Could the problem be that I did the rearranging (I copied everything to the "library" (in the sony ebook library) then manually copied them to either directly on the reader or to the SD card. But now I'm on my computer at work. Could that be why?
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you have enough internal memory to hold all the content, then forget using an external memory card.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
diana.stout

I don't have the internal memory to hold everything.

Also, I have some books that I want to fix the title/author (they currently don't list an author, or have author and title both in the title space, etc.) how can I repair that?
Old 07-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana.stout View Post
I don't have the internal memory to hold everything.
How many eBooks do you want to actually have available at one time?

I have about 80-90 and that's plenty for me at any one time.

Quote:
Also, I have some books that I want to fix the title/author (they currently don't list an author, or have author and title both in the title space, etc.) how can I repair that?
If these books are in LRF, you can use Calibre to edit the metadata using lrf-meta from the command line.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #9
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
An easy way to track series is to create a text file listing all the series titles in the proper order. You could update that text file to indicate what's been read and what hasn't.
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote