Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 04:39 AM   #1
John2011
Enthusiast
John2011 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 1
A couple of formatting questions

If we make the first paragraph of a chapter with no indent, then the rest with an indent.

But a bit further on in the same chapter there is a scene break. Should the scene break start with or without an indent for the first paragraph?

Also how do you cope when you use a large cap to start a chapter, but say the next chapter starts with a quote e.g. "My gosh that was close." he said.

Do you include the quote AND the first letter in the large start character?

I am sure you experienced book makers have an answer for these problems.

Peace,
John P.
John2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:15 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Regarding the indent, I've seen different conventions. Note that in other languages (French, Spanish) all paragraphs are indented, even the first of the chapter.

For the large cap there's also different styles. It's not rare to just drop the initial quote, but I'd prefer including the quote somehow, either in the same style as the large cap or in the normal text style, which to choose is an aesthetic matter.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by John2011 View Post
If we make the first paragraph of a chapter with no indent, then the rest with an indent.

But a bit further on in the same chapter there is a scene break. Should the scene break start with or without an indent for the first paragraph?...
It's is a matter of preferred style rather than any "rule of typography".

Personally, I prefer that all paragraphs distinguish themselves with some difference in the placement or style of the first character(s), regardless of where they are in the flow of the text.

I prefer no indent only when there is some font styling applied (e.g. large initial cap, drop cap, caps and small caps for the first few words, ...). This means that unless such styling is used for the first paragraph after a scene break, which is something I avoid, the new scene should begin with an indented paragraph.

As to the issue with the leading quote, it must be retained and made to look good along with the first regular character. Also, the styling of all chapters should be the same. Before you decide to use a particular styling for the beginning of a chapter you should review all chapters to make sure your chosen styling will work for all. If you keep the enlarged first character styling I would lean toward having the quote mark and the first regular character both enlarged.

Last edited by dwig; 02-19-2012 at 08:33 AM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:38 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John2011 View Post

But a bit further on in the same chapter there is a scene break. Should the scene break start with or without an indent for the first paragraph?
It's normal for the first paragraph after a scene break not to have an indent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:35 AM   #5
John2011
Enthusiast
John2011 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 1
Thank you Jellby, dwig and HarryT for your reply's.

Your answers have confirmed what I thought was the way for doing things. But I wasn't sure, so the best thing to do in that situations is to ask.

It is very helpful to have you guys here answering our questions. It is most appreciated.

Peace,

John P.
John2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert