Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Story HD Mod: User Style (Update 18 Jan 2012)

Hi,

Warning: This mod works fine for me, but I can't guarantee it will work for you. Use at your own risk!

This mod enables you to specify global CSS rules and install custom fonts. The attached firmware update file creates a folder /css/ in the internal storage, which contains the default userstyle.css. Fonts can also be copied into this folder and referred to using res:///css/filename.

To use, rename the attached hex file to storyeb07.hex and copy it to the internal memory (like a regular firmware update).

This change can also be reverted by using the attached Undo file. It will also delete the /css/ folder from internal storage.

Howtos regarding the userstyle.css and custom fonts can already be found elsewhere, so I won't elaborate on it here (attached example). I'm no CSS geek, and many books have embedded CSS which overrides userstyle.css, so it's mostly trial & error.

Regards
frostschutz
Attached Files
File Type: zip storyeb07-mod-UserStyle-18-01-2012-Jan.zip (790 Bytes, 692 views)
File Type: zip storyeb07-mod-UserStyle-Undo-18-01-2012-Jan.zip (737 Bytes, 785 views)
File Type: txt userstyle.txt (587 Bytes, 758 views)

Last edited by frostschutz; 02-07-2012 at 05:32 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
All I can say is WOW!! You continue to support the functionality of this device. The iriver team should pay attention. Bravo!
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Is there any way to use this to remove the display of page numbers?
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:43 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, unfortunately I haven't found a way to do that yet. I'd love to get rid of the little buggers too. They don't seem to be part of the HTML at all so you can't get at them with CSS (or at least I haven't managed to - you are welcome to try). Their appearance is most likely hardcoded into the renderer somewhere.

The only thing that works so far is modifying the epub source (pagemap) and that doesn't remove them, but it allows you to move them to less obstrusive places (like align page numbers with chapter / scene breaks). But it's too much effort to be worth it and I'm too lazy to write a script that does it.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
Everybody on here seems to complain about the page numbers. I love them. But they definitely ought to be a changeable setting.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntsimp View Post
Everybody on here seems to complain about the page numbers. I love them. But they definitely ought to be a changeable setting.
Which page numbers are you referring to?

The page progress bar that flashes on the bottom of the page after a page turn bothers some. I don't have a problem with it.

Then there are the actual page numbers which are in a very tiny font in the right margin. From time to time this overlaps a letter. It only occurs if the text is running edge to edge. This can be annoying, but is a minor annoyance.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User

We were talking about the edge ones I guess, but I'd love to get rid of both of these things.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
sebarkh
sebarkh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Is there some threat if I would accidentally delete css folder from sd card?
(Or /sleep/ folder - your other mod)
sebarkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User

If you delete the sleep folder, the screen will simply blank instead of showing an image. If you delete the CSS folder, nothing whatsoever happens. Even so, I don't recommend going around and "accidentally" deleting folders anywhere like a maniac. Whatever would you be doing that for?

If you want to get rid of the mods, use the Undo files to revert them - they also remove the created files/folders for you.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:05 AM   #10
sebarkh

I applied BOTH mods and they are working PERFECTLY.
I made my own screensaver (to make grayscale 16 bit png I used a plugin for Paint.net, but I wonder if there could be a normal RGB png).
I would like to know more about CSS edditing to format displaying of text in books.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #11
sebarkh

Anyway THANK YOU.
Looking forward for more. Maybe some mod to boot from external SDcard... would be great for security and unbricking purposes...
THX!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #12
frostschutz
Linux User

I pretty much gave up on the unbricking part. Someone else will have to figure that one out.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
chuckz
Enthusiast
chuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz
Hi,

The attached firmware update file creates a folder /css/ in the internal storage, which contains the default userstyle.css. Fonts can also be copied into this folder and referred to using res:///css/filename.

I apologize if this is a stupid question - but why can't you create the /css/ folder manually and then put fonts and userstyle.css in there?
Or does this folder exist but hidden?

thanks
chuckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
Because the stock firmware will ignore it. The mod makes it do something with the files.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote