Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 11-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
B2K! -- MobileRead Reaches the 2,000 Book Upload Mark

Attention MobileReaders! It is my distinct pleasure to announce that our book uploads section now has more than 2,000 uploads!

This is particularly impressive to me as it's a completely volunteer effort.

So please join me in a round of applause for the stalwarts who did all that formatting and uploading!

NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
Big B
Big B began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Here Here. As a recent member, it is one of the great things about the forum. The tech info would have been enough, but the books are a wonderful bonus. I have downloaded many books, and it is one of the things that keeps me coming back daily to check for new additions.
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
B2K!
Sounds like something you would get at Burger King.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Very cool. I've only downloaded & read a few of the books available so far, but will definitely read more & hope to contribute at some point.

Thank You to everyone who has made them available to the rest of us.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
B2K!
Sounds like something you would get at Burger King.
True, but what we have here is lower calorie and better for you.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It really is amazing.

And I've learned about a lot of great books because of it also. Don't forget to read the descriptions provided. What a fantastic resource it has become.

How about some special recognition for the alltime top uploaders:
* RWood (505 books. His legendary formatting of the entire Harvard Classics series!)
* Patricia (429 books. Also the current leader in recent uploads.)
* HarryT (340 books. The initiator and force behind the whole concept.)
* Dr. Drib (240 books)
* Nate the Great (144 books)

as well as some of the newer stars appearing in the lists...
* Stanart
* JSWolf
* BenG

A screen shot of the Uploaders Hall of Fame is included to preserve the moment.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20071102_BookUploadersHallOfFame.JPG
Views:	750
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	6998  
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I'm not sure how much our new members may appreciate what all this effort might mean for them. The day I bought my Sony, I had dreamy visions of downloading all of Project Gutenberg and carrying a fair fraction of all mankind's knowledge and wisdom with me everywhere. This was to be a monumental step-change in my life. The first thing I did was to download a book from there in TXT format, import and copy it to my Reader, and with great anticipation I sat down to enjoy it. I was instantly dismayed by how distracting it was to read with broken lines, forced hyphenation, poor pagination, and no indexing. I don't have to tell you what happened when I then tried PDF files from the Internet Archive. So the MR uploads are very helpful. Now that I'm working on my first conversions myself, I also appreciate the effort involved in doing a good job. Doing hundreds of books that way? Unthinkable. But thank you!!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #9
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
How about some special recognition for the alltime top uploaders...
2000 books already? Thank you guys!!!!!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Dayyam, guys!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #11
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

Editor's Note: bowerbird graciously allowed us to move this post to its own thread, which can be found here.

Responding posts have also been moved there, please post future responses there too.

-- NatCh
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #12
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

and congratulations on the milestone number in your library!
a hearty thank-you to all the volunteers for their hard work!

-bowerbird
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Congratulations to all those who format books for this site.

It had been a while since I took a look there. Bewildering is all I could find at the moment.

Just a note:
When that feature was started, classification by author and title was a good idea because no one had any inkling as of where this might all lead to. Going through all this searching does not seem the better way now. Would it not be still feasible to join the universal library cataloging systems at this time before it gets too time intensive to do so? Just imagine the confusion one could go through in five years when we reach 50,000 entries... And what of different languages?
@Alex, start shopping for new servers!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:05 PM   #14
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I do appreciate the effort of these people!!!
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post

Just a note:
When that feature was started, classification by author and title was a good idea because no one had any inkling as of where this might all lead to. Going through all this searching does not seem the better way now. Would it not be still feasible to join the universal library cataloging systems at this time before it gets too time intensive to do so? Just imagine the confusion one could go through in five years when we reach 50,000 entries... And what of different languages?
@Alex, start shopping for new servers!
I think he's right. The current list system is at the limits of its functionality. There are several authors with 40+ titles. We need a catalog system of some kind (with an index by author, subject, title).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote