Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #136
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Question on capnm's '#cover @page' example. I know that using an id before a selector is kosher in general, but how can it be kosher to apply an id to @page? That selector is a pseudo selector referring to the devices page boundaries - it's never actually defined in the html code, so I don't see how an id can be associated with it.

I'm asking because I'm thinking about how to check whether @page is defined, and an @page with an id is problematic - if it's invalid syntax then it can be deleted/ignored.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #137
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Are you trying to do too much?

As of now this will strip 'book level' margins from >99% of commercially published epubs. And those are the most annoying ones.

It will potentially screw up the formatting of Calibre generated epubs, and a variety of bespoke epubs.

Calibre generated epubs should be pretty good candidates for epub-epub conversion by Calibre.

Some bespoke epubs really need to be be adjusted by hand, or not at all.
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #138
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

I was leaning toward not trying too hard . I'm going to ignore the @page with an ID problem and leave that as a case that someone would need to fix by hand - though margins will still be removed in that case, they just wouldn't be added back based on the Calibre pref.

The question was also partially academic - if there is some way an ID can be assigned to a pseudo selector like @page I was curious to know about it.

edit:
The rest of the work comes out of integration with Quality check, and providing users a simple way to fix ADE page number rendering. You're correct that newer ADE renderers don't display the numbers - my 650 doesn't display them. But any users of older devices will still be affected, so I figured the extra effort wouldn't be unappreciated.

Last edited by ldolse; 06-21-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #139
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
v0.3.4 Beta

Changes in this release:
  • Fix issue with some NCX files not parsing correctly causing error with OS artifact removal
  • Remove dependency on the Calibre epub-fix Container class to allow plugin to develop independently
  • Incorporate Idolse's rewrite CSS margin code to reset page/body margins

This version includes Idolse's work on the page/body margins stuff, which I believe now reads your Calibre preferences for page margins and then adds them into the CSS stylesheet. As it stands currently this code only looks at the CSS files for .body/@page directives - any that are specified inline in the HTML page are not considered. Investigation still ongoing for the latter.

@Idolse - as mentioned above I have (for now at least) made this a separate option within the dialog. We may decide to roll them back together in future but at least this way people can test in isolation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1_Options.png
Views:	257
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	73154  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Modify ePub.zip (74.5 KB, 194 views)
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #140
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I'm totally trying that out.

One thing, though, is it rewriting the margins to not exist at all, or did you go with the "5px let, 10px right", or.......?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #141
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Let me talk my way through this ....

As it is --
The strip margins function will strip out any margins in @page or body statements in all css files.

This should be pretty darn safe. I don't think it will touch files created by any versions of Calibre to date. (They don't use body, and they don't use @page in the css).

The only potential problems I can think of occur when there are multiple @page statements, either named or in multiple stylesheets. Then, in very rare cases it could cause minor damage:
1) I've seen a couple of bespoke epubs that include an extra css specifically to facilitate conversions to pdf using Prince.
2) You might lose features such as extra whitespace at top of a title page.
3) It could mess up an epub that used body statements in the css and @page statements in the html, but nobody's doing that. Yet.

Adding margins to epubs, after successfully stripping the old ones should be pretty straightforward -- just inject an @page at the beginning of (each) css.
That should (might?) work even if there are still additional @page statements for non-margin purposes (and it's very rare that there would ever be).

Stripping margins from Calibre generated epubs is more complex, leaving much more room for error, as different versions used different techniques to define them.
Likewise adding margins to Calibre generated epubs isn't going to work well unless you've successfully stripped them.

Stripping the @page statements from the html files (required to strip margins from epubs recently created by Calibre) seems to be asking for trouble.

It would be nice to tag css files where you've stripped (and possibly added) margins so you know they're fair game for adding margins to, and that they can be ignored when looking for files to strip the margins from.

I'm already contemplating complicating Quality Check
1) Find epubs with strippable margins (other than those generated by Modify Epub)
2) Find epubs with strippable or already stripped margins (
knowing that Modify Epub could then (re)set those margins)

As an aside:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Question on capnm's '#cover @page' example.
That could well be invalid code. I found it while looking for either @page pseudo-class (@page :first {}) or @page nameid {} statements -- which I think are correct syntax, but I didn't find any examples of them in my library.

As another aside:
I'd be curious to hear what Kovid would have to say about possibly eventually switching Calibre to the @page/body in css syntax.
I suspect he has some pretty good reasons for doing it the way it is.

Last edited by capnm; 06-21-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #142
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
One thing, though, is it rewriting the margins to not exist at all, or did you go with the "5px let, 10px right", or.......?
I believe it uses your Calibe page setup defaults, so the same as would be applied if you did a conversion. However I defer all detailed support questions on this feature to Idolse as it is his baby
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #143
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Been scouring my epubs programmatically to see just how margins were used on @body and @page, the results were interesting to say the least.
  • Nearly 50% of my epubs have some sort of margins specified on body or @page
  • 60% of these specify margins in em (generally the most egregious offender, why em margins on devices that allow font size to be increased?!)
  • 27% have margins specified in px
  • 13% specify margins using pt, typically 5pt

Note many have some combination of px/pt/em, didn't count those variations.

The margins in pt were generally the most reasonable. I also saw a lot of right hand margins being specified in px to get around Adobe's page number rendering.

I've been thinking more about how to programmatically replace/insert margins. This is probably a very reasonable thing to do, at least when considering users of older Adobe renderers that may want to create a slightly larger right margin. Aside from the matter of successfully injecting them, which is solvable, this brings up other questions for Quality Check, as one would want to be able to exclude whatever margin Modify Epub was configured to insert from a search...
There is no @body. And @page should be removed (IMHO). The xpgt file should also be removed and the OPF updated to have the entry removed. Oh and the XML files need the page template reference removed as well

I put the margins in body and I fix them where they are also written differently. There a bug in Calibre you'll need to code for.. in each XML Calibre writes, it adds a style to the XML that has a 5pt top and bottom margin. Those have to go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #144
ldolse
Wizard

Calibre's preferences are hard-coded to pts.

If you want no margins in @page or body, then set your calibre preferences under 'page setup' in common conversion options to have all the margins zero - this will cause the plugin to work exactly as the initial implementation I posted did - any margins in @page or body will simply be deleted.

Otherwise, the plugin will delete all existing margins in body or @page, and then replaces them with the pt based margins specified in Calbre's preferences. It only puts the new margin settings in @page, so all margins set on body are always removed.

Capnm is correct in the extremely rare case that the epub css has multiple @page statements, some using 'ID', they will all be re-written, but any using an ID will just have them removed. I'm actually inclined to think that @page statements with an ID is invalid css anyway, but we'll see if someone else can provide some further enlightenment on that point. @page statements using a psuedo selector like :first would actually be ignored.

@JSWolf, I chose to put them in @page because this is the advice I've read from epub guru's like pdurrant, Kovid, and Jelby. I believe @page is more focused on device page boundaries vs. the entire text, which is what body will do. I would have liked to be able to research it more, but try googling @page - big fail. Removing the xpgt file entirely is a bit outside of the scope of this plugin, as it's focused on non/minimally-destructive changes. As Jelby has pointed out in the epub sub-forum, there are some potentially good uses for it, such as detecting whether ADE is the renderer and creating some work-around css styles that only it will render.

Edit - one last point I didn't see - if you don't like Calibre specifying top and bottom margins, simply set those to zero under page setup. That should eliminate them during conversions and with this plugin.

Last edited by ldolse; 06-21-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #145
ldolse
Wizard

Regarding capnm's Quality Check comment - that's my next target. The initial problem was allowing user configurable margins that could both be rewritten AND excluded from a Quality Check search. Using Calibre's prefs allows a common place to store this for both plugins.

So Quality check will get a new check which searches out all epubs which don't have margins agreeing with Calibre's configured preferences. Not sure if I'll get to that today, but that's my next focus aside from fixing any bugs I may have just introduced with these changes.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:09 AM   #146
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
@JSWolf, I chose to put them in @page because this is the advice I've read from epub guru's like pdurrant, Kovid, and Jelby. I believe @page is more focused on device page boundaries vs. the entire text, which is what body will do.
This is correct. Margins in @page cannot always be replaced by those in body and still achieve the same effect.

For example, set margin-top:10px in @PAGE and there will always be a 10 pixel margin at the top of the physical page - which can be useful to avoid shadow casting from the reader's bezel. This margin is preserved as you move forward through the xhtml file.

However, setting margin-top:10px in BODY will only achieve 10px at the start of the xhtml page. Once you move forward through the xhtml file there will be no 10px gap at the top of the reader's screen.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #147
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Does anyone know why current Calibre conversions choose to put the @page top/bottom margins inside each and every xhtml file, rather than just once in the css?

As it would appear to be more effort, I'm assuming there must be a good reason to do it this way.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #148
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
No idea! I use Tweak ePub and remove them all. A single @page in the main CSS is sufficient. I suppose using them at the xhtml file level would allow you to vary margins at this level - but this would also require a post-conversion tweak.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #149
capnm
Groupie

Another inquiring mind would love to know

It looks to me suspiciously like a work-around.
It could provide the functionality of named @pages even if 'proper' named @page syntax wasn't being rendered correctly.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #150
capnm
Groupie

Quote:
If you want no margins in @page or body, then set your calibre preferences under 'page setup' in common conversion options to have all the margins zero - this will cause the plugin to work exactly as the initial implementation I posted did - any margins in @page or body will simply be deleted.

Otherwise, the plugin will delete all existing margins in body or @page, and then replaces them with the pt based margins specified in Calbre's preferences. It only puts the new margin settings in @page, so all margins set on body are always removed.
Would there be a downside to injecting an @page even when all margins are set to 0pt?

Here's my logic *cough* ....

I'd like to search for epubs with @page and/or body margins -- those being 'good' candidates for this mod. That eliminates all the Calibre conversions and many bespoke epubs, with which this doesn't play nicely.
But if I set the margins to 0, and the margins are all deleted, I will no longer recognize those epubs as being good candidates for resetting margins.

I think I might be overlooking a simpler approach