Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 06:37 AM   #1
Leeron
Leeron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Yet another infinitely rebooting Kindle

Hi guys,
I got my Kindle 3.2.1 last Friday. Since then I've uploaded some 30-something e-books on it. Non of them by amazon, and most were converted from PDF using Caliber. I've also jail-braked it using Yifan Lu's latest.
Since yesterday it keep rebooting every 2-5 minutes or so.

At first I blamed the indexing service (As a friend of mine was upload a 90 Mb .pdf file to my kindle before it started) and turned it off by setting -DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD to false on /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh. It seem to help for a minute and then I went to sleep. When I tried using the Kindle again today, I aws able to read 2 pages, then it started rebooting again - And it's rebooting ever since (every 2-5 minutes), even without any user interaction.

At some other point I figured it might be the browser daemon, and also killed /usr/bin/browserd to no avail.

I tried looking at /var/logs/messages, and I always get some "Heap space is very low" messages before it reboots. but I haven't figured out yet what's hogging the heap memory.

I can see by running ps that the process consuming the most memory is /usr/java/bin/cvm (some %20).

[I can't seem to run top by the way, anybody knows way?]

Any hints or suggestions?

Leeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Resetting to factory defaults should fix it, I think. But I'm not sure of the effects it would have on the hacks.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeron View Post
Hi guys,
I got my Kindle 3.2.1 last Friday. Since then I've uploaded some 30-something e-books on it. Non of them by amazon, and most were converted from PDF using Caliber. I've also jail-braked it using Yifan Lu's latest.
Since yesterday it keep rebooting every 2-5 minutes or so.

At first I blamed the indexing service (As a friend of mine was upload a 90 Mb .pdf file to my kindle before it started) and turned it off by setting -DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD to false on /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh. It seem to help for a minute and then I went to sleep. When I tried using the Kindle again today, I aws able to read 2 pages, then it started rebooting again - And it's rebooting ever since (every 2-5 minutes), even without any user interaction.

At some other point I figured it might be the browser daemon, and also killed /usr/bin/browserd to no avail.

I tried looking at /var/logs/messages, and I always get some "Heap space is very low" messages before it reboots. but I haven't figured out yet what's hogging the heap memory.

I can see by running ps that the process consuming the most memory is /usr/java/bin/cvm (some %20).

[I can't seem to run top by the way, anybody knows way?]

Any hints or suggestions?

Rule of thumb is that you should never touch start.sh. Revert it back to before you changed it and see if that helps.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
Leeron
Leeron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the replies.

As it was too painful to watch the little thing rebooting like crazy I just rest it to factory settings (and restored the original start.sh) right after I wrote this post.

What I was more interested in are ways to try and analyze (or some guess on) what was causing it.
(For the next time my kindle is in pain )

@Yufan: after I reverted start.sh I noticed the private commands ~startIndexing and ~stopIndexing. My guess is you're the one who added them (I only used your hack + usbNetwork) as I remember reading they don't exist on the original firmware. (Or are they on 3.2.1?)
If it was really you who added them, may I ask what do you use to start and stop the indexing process?
Leeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeron View Post
~startIndexing and ~stopIndexing.
These commands integrated into firmware since Kindle 3 released (3.0 firmware)
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert