Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #46
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
For $50 I would have definitely considered one of these for my daughter if I hadn't already bought her the Slick ereader that Big Lots was selling. She seems happy with it though, so I guess it's OK that I spent $40 more... the Literatis were selling for an INSANE price at Kohl's last time that I saw them.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #47
threebeers
threebeers began at the beginning.

Device: Palm, Sony, Nook, Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
Good recap. Thanks.

Just curious, but how do you know it runs on linux? Just because it has wifi, a pointer, etc. doesn't mean it's linux.
From Goodereader.com: "It is running on a custom Linux operating system, designed by Kobo."
threebeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 11:30 PM   #48
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook Color
Okay, someone posted that the battery lasts longer if you don't run it in wi-fi mode -- How do I turn off the wi-fi? Because frankly, I am getting books from the library, and NOT from Kobo (which doesn't seem to work for me anyway).

Please -- can someone tell me how to turn off the wifi?

Thank you in advance!

ETA == Found a way to turn off the wifi. I guess sometimes that feature works, and sometimes not!

Hope this helps preserve battery life! Right now, it's barely enough for a few doctor appointments!

Last edited by amybobamy; 01-19-2011 at 11:43 PM.
amybobamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:44 AM   #49
goodereader
Banned
goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Many, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Pocketbook, Sony etc.
Threebeers is infact correct! Actually as you prob mostly know, most e-reader operating systems are Linux and Kobo designed and tweaked the OS based on the hardware. They did this in turn for higher royalties for ebooks sold via the device and the exclusive kobo bookstore on the e-reader and the inability to access other bookstores on the device. Good thing for being able to sideload epubs.
goodereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:33 AM   #50
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
In a way that's good news.

If it linux based it might be possible to hack it.
clittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #51
goodereader
Banned
goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Many, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Pocketbook, Sony etc.
Well to hack it, since its a variant of Linux you would more then likely to get the source code which is not to my knowledge available.
goodereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #52
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

I don't think source code is the issue.

I'm not a hacker so take this with a grain of salt.

The hard part is figuring out how to get into and modify the code in the first place.

Since linux is under the gpl the source code should be freely available.

And since it's linux, it should be easy to identify where customizations have been made. It would be a matter of doing a byte by byte comparison.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:09 AM   #53
MrHatandClogs
MrHatandClogs doesn't litterMrHatandClogs doesn't litter

Device: Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybobamy View Post
Okay, someone posted that the battery lasts longer if you don't run it in wi-fi mode -- How do I turn off the wi-fi? Because frankly, I am getting books from the library, and NOT from Kobo (which doesn't seem to work for me anyway).

Please -- can someone tell me how to turn off the wifi?

Thank you in advance!

ETA == Found a way to turn off the wifi. I guess sometimes that feature works, and sometimes not!

Hope this helps preserve battery life! Right now, it's barely enough for a few doctor appointments!
You can turn off the wifi anytime by going to the homepage("I'm Reading"), clicking menu>settings>wireless>uncheck the "Wireless Networking: Enabled"
box. And turning it back on the same way.

If your still having trouble adding books form Kobo, etc. if you haven't already, see my help thread here...https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116434
I am gonna make a wiki page for Literati FAQs as well, and will post links when completed.
MrHatandClogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #54
clittle
Zealot

Hi,

Just synced and got version 2.0.

Anyone know what's new/different?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #55
threebeers
threebeers began at the beginning.

Device: Palm, Sony, Nook, Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
Hi,

Just synced and got version 2.0.

Anyone know what's new/different?
Just installed the 2.0 update and didn't notice anything different.

In another post someone said 1.9 bricked Kobo Desktop sync, so maybe that is fixed, but I don't use that anyway (I use Calibre instead).

Last edited by threebeers; 01-27-2011 at 04:11 PM.
threebeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #56
vjplo
Enthusiast
vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threebeers View Post
Just installed the 2.0 update and didn't notice anything different.

In another post someone said 1.9 bricked Kobo Desktop sync, so maybe that is fixed, but I don't use that anyway (I use Calibre instead).
Kobo-purchased books: you can highlight passages and enter notes.
All books and docs: you can bookmark multiple pages
Kobo mags: I can now access via wireless
Dictionary: now a pop-up which I think is a change from before.
Bookshelves: multiple personalization choices
Haven't tried it but on menu is a delete document choice.

Wonder when they're planning on updating the support web page and the online manuals.
vjplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #57
clittle
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjplo View Post
Kobo-purchased books: you can highlight passages and enter notes.
All books and docs: you can bookmark multiple pages
Kobo mags: I can now access via wireless
Dictionary: now a pop-up which I think is a change from before.
Bookshelves: multiple personalization choices
Haven't tried it but on menu is a delete document choice.

Wonder when they're planning on updating the support web page and the online manuals.
Very cool. Thanks for the recap.

BTW, I was able to delete a few books. It works!
Old 01-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #58
nkrenz
nkrenz began at the beginning.

Hi! I purchased a Literati a couple of days ago and everything was running smoothly until about 1 hour ago when I connected via WiFi for the first time to try downloading.
I connected with no problem but right away received a message that there were important updates that needed to be downloaded. I did that without a problem and was instructed to restart.
I turned off the unit but found that this time, unlike previous times, I had to hold down the off button for about 10 seconds before the unit would turn off, previously it only required a slight tap.
I turn it back on and it is frozen on the first screen that displays the name and Sharper Image.
I pushed the reset botton on the back only to have the main screen still frozen,
I was so pleased with the ease of connecting to WiFi and the problem free download and now I am ready to take this back to the store.
nkrenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #59
clittle
Zealot

When you hold the power button down for a few seconds the unit turns off completely. Just tapping the button puts it to sleep.

When you restart it from sleep mode it responds quickly but when it's been off it takes a while to start up again.

Give it a few minutes (maybe five) and see if it comes back to life.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #60
nkrenz
nkrenz began at the beginning.

Thanks for the info on the off/on. Tried firing up the unit again this morning and still can't get off the main logo screen.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks again!
nkrenz is offline   Reply With Quote