Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Your All Time Favorite Mobile Device?

What mobile device have you owned (or used, or lusted after) that are you are still the most fired up about? I'm talking about the best few devices, that you would even consider repurchasing just for the nostalgia factor. I'd really like to hear what devices others have become attached to over the years.

It's not on my list, but I expect to hear a lot of iPhone and Kindle answers, as well as Psion, HP Journada, etc from some of the folks that have been hooked on mobile devices for a long time. But those aren't even on my list!

So to get things started, here are my favorites of all time, which still get me misty eyed when I think of them ever so fondly...
  • TI SR-56 Programmable Calculator
    This is what I consider to be the beginning of programming and mobile computing for me. I moved up soon to the TI-59 with more power and a magnetic storage strip that preserves programs on removable media, but the 56 will always have a special place in my heart.
  • Radio Shack TRS-80 Pocket Computer
    This was one of three TRS-80 computers I have owned. Probably made by Sharp, and later I bought a more advanced Sharp version. Only a 1 line display. But a full keypad and BASIC built in. I wrote programs like a flash card study aid, and even wrote a cross-compiler on my TRS-80 Model 3 to allow me to write assembler (which also helped overcome the small memory limitations). I may also still have this in a box somewhere.
  • HP 15C Calculator
    A scientific RPN calculator. This was maybe the best built device I've ever used! So solid and the buttons felt so good to push, and the display was beautiful to look at. I really hope it's in a box somewhere and that I didn't get rid of this in a mad fit of "clean up the house".
  • Sony Clie SJ-33
    My first PDAs were a couple of Palm Pilots. But this was the first one that had a color high-resolution screen and a rechargeable battery. Once that came out, one could really see what mobile computing would be. It did mp3 audio, videos, ebooks, PIM stuff, etc. I even liked the convenience and protection of the silly Star Trek communicator flip cover.
  • Treo 700p
    It's still my current personal phone. And I prefer it over my much more modern work Blackberry, which is a Bold 9000. The Treo 650 was my first smartphone (I was a reluctant convert to the merging of phone and PDA), but for some reason, when I think "early generation of smartphone", the Treo 700p is what I think of.
  • Sony Reader PRS-500
    This is a favorite for so many reasons, including the association with MobileRead and folks like yvanleterrible (who hand created the beautiful custom-made wooden case I have for it), and as the beginning of the dedicated e-book reader revolution, of course. It's still my only e-ink device, so far. It's wonderful in the sunlight or a bright lamp, but over the years I've found lack of bright light to be more and more of an issue. Maybe because the screen is duller, but maybe because my eyes are more delicate these days. Or maybe because I am more demanding about screen display quality as the bar has been raised so much by newer devices. But most of my reading is now done on my iPad, which is not ideal due to the less settling LCD display, but is "good enough", great in dim light (but not in sunlight), and I almost always have it handy.

I'm sure I've forgotten some. And there are many others that I've enjoyed, but didn't create the same emotional attachment. My iPad would have made the list, but I wanted to give it the test of time before it takes a place in my list.

Looking forward to hearing what mobile devices were special to you folks!

<Sorry about the extra dots - wasn't sure how to create a blank line between bullets. Anyone know a trick?>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ti_sr56.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	58888   Click image for larger version

Name:	trs80pc2.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	58889   Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	58890   Click image for larger version

Name:	clie-sj33-i1.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	58891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Treo 700p.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	58892   Click image for larger version

Name:	SONY_Reader PRS500.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	58893  

Last edited by Bob Russell; 09-26-2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Add some pics
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
are we allowed to list laptops?
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Of ALL the mobile devices I have owned and currently own - my favorite has to be my Kindle DX Graphite! Leaves the rest in the dust.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Without a doubt, my Palm T/X.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
are we allowed to list laptops?
Of course! (Do you have one that you feel especially attached to?) Desktop PCs wouldn't count, though.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
my Marlin .32 open site lever action.

what???? it's mobile!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
The quick answer here would be my newest device, whatever that may be! But my real answer would probably be my Acer Aspire One netbook, which for the past couple of years has been my primary computer. I don't do gaming or anything that needs a lot of bells and whistles, so it fits my needs perfectly. I can read on it (and I did for months before I got a dedicated reader), surf the web, pay my bills, edit my photos, and handle my music library. I periodically back it up to an external hard drive, and I've got an external DVD player for the rare occasions that I want to load software or something. It's never too heavy for my lap, and it will fit into my purse for travel. I'd replace it in a heartbeat if something happened to it.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
At the moment, it's probably a three way tie between my three current mobile devices. I love my Palm Pre Plus phone, even though both ebook reading apps for it turned out to be disappointments. But just as a phone/mp3 player/mobile photo album I love it dearly. My Asus T91MT has been the best little device ever, both for reading and surfing. Love the convertible aspect of it (the screen swivels to make it into a touchscreen tablet), and it's great for reading. And my most recent acquisition, the Sony PRS 600 is wonderful. I'm not as reluctant to take it with me as I was the Asus, and of course it's less heavy and easier to use outside than the Asus. I probably couldn't pick one over the other two, although I've had the Asus the longest.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
My old Palm Tungsten. I used it until it literally fall apart.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote