Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 05:20 AM   #91
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Here's a quick query for users of this fantastic PB360 port of FBReader:

I use the wrist turn feature only occaisionally - when I can be sure the reader is held in a stable horizontal (me sitting) or vertical (me lying) position that prevents unintentional page turns (if I lie on my side, as I often do before sleeping, the position of the reader is not good for using the wrist turns).

But my question is this: after using the wrist turns only for some time, the program seems to 'go to sleep' - by that I mean it stops responding to wrist actions and I have to do a button push page turn to get it to 'wake up' - anyone else encounter this?

In addition, if this 'sleep' issue doesn't occur, eventually my keypad auto-lock times out and the device locks the keypad. I know the obvious solution is to switch this auto-lock setting off for the device, but I like it (when I put the device aside I know after 5 minutes or so it will lock the keypad). I was wondering if it's possible to have the wrist pageturns trigger the device so that the auto-keypad lock timer resets and prevents this (minor) problem? Again - anyone else encounter this?

But these minro glitches aside, I love this program and use it mainly for the advanced settings features that truly allows the reader to tailor how a book is displayed - something all those corporate phoney programs like ADE and even Mobi Reader don't do. Keep up the great work!!
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:38 AM   #92
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayNM View Post
Guns4Hire
Of course. Here you are.
And this is a version history.
Thanks! Even though I looked all over the wiki page (before my post) I didn't find anything. But now I see how I was missing it the whole time. Again thanks.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 05:39 AM   #93
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
I use the wrist turn feature only occaisionally - when I can be sure the reader is held in a stable horizontal (me sitting) or vertical (me lying) position that prevents unintentional page turns (if I lie on my side, as I often do before sleeping, the position of the reader is not good for using the wrist turns).

But my question is this: after using the wrist turns only for some time, the program seems to 'go to sleep' - by that I mean it stops responding to wrist actions and I have to do a button push page turn to get it to 'wake up' - anyone else encounter this?
I've only been using this great version of FBReader for a few days and I love it. I initially installed it for the wrist page turn feature, but find that I can't get it to work properly. I use is mainly while lying down in bed and I find that it stops working fairly quickly. I do love the other features though, especially the single step font change for zooming.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:52 AM   #94
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
I've only been using this great version of FBReader for a few days and I love it. I initially installed it for the wrist page turn feature, but find that I can't get it to work properly. I use is mainly while lying down in bed and I find that it stops working fairly quickly. I do love the other features though, especially the single step font change for zooming.
I had some troubles on earlier versions - I set the rotation setting to '180 + FAST prev/next' or '180 + SLOW prev/next' - I can't remember which one now. I think I chose the slow one to get a screen refresh (invert) on each turn as that removes any ghost/shadow traces left behind from the previous page. I think the SLOW was supposed to do this, but I just checked and FAST seems to also.

I also set the 'trigger' angle quite low - 20 or 25 degrees - so it's reasonably sensitive.

There seems to be a bit of a trick to getting the wrist pageturn feature to start off. I first go to the settings and select the rotation mode (180 + SLOW prev/next), then exit the settings and again go to the menu and select the rotation icon, and then choose the gyro setting (the middle of the little display that comes up - just hit OK). Then after the reader repaginates (the status bar will not show the page numbers until that process is finished - takes about 10-15 seconds) I then do one page turn via button, and this seems to activate the wrist turn feature.

The only problem as I said is if you lie on your side the device tries to turn pages unless you rotate back to vertical, which is not comfy. I only use the feature now and again, but I find the strange 'sleep' of the feature, and the fact my keypad auto-lock times out after a while without a button push, make it a nice-to-have rather than a necessity.

But the advanced formatting features available in this reader are beyond awesome and are the main reason I use it - better than anything else I've tried on other devices, even my beloved BeBook (Hanlin V3). And the big guns like Kindle and Sony - forget it! PB360 with FBReader offers so much more in formats, features and flexibility - the 3 Fs!
Old 04-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #95
GrayNM
flat square cat
GrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360
orwell2k
I'm sorry, but these problems cannot be solved inside FBReader180.

1. Feature "sleep" is caused by sleep of gyro(or wrong processing of it in system libs).
CPU at this point is in sleep mode and gyro have to wake up it. But gyro doesn't.
I've talk about this with PocketBook developers but there is no solution still.

2. Keypad auto-lock cannot be prevented because there is no API to do that.
Again PocketBook developers are notified but still nothing.
GrayNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #96
orwell2k
Addict

Quote:
orwell2k
I'm sorry, but these problems cannot be solved inside FBReader180.

1. Feature "sleep" is caused by sleep of gyro(or wrong processing of it in system libs).
CPU at this point is in sleep mode and gyro have to wake up it. But gyro doesn't.
I've talk about this with PocketBook developers but there is no solution still.

2. Keypad auto-lock cannot be prevented because there is no API to do that.
Again PocketBook developers are notified but still nothing.
Thanks for the reply - I figured the situation was something like you mentioned (i.e. beyond control of FB app) but thought I would ask. These issues are not life-threatening anyway, so I can live with them. If PocketBook do fix the problems then we'll all be even happier with our devices!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #97
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Hi,

first the sugar: PB360 and as well the fbreader 0.83 absolutely great in performance and useability

Now the question: The topic of that thread ...Page Break" is how to use ?
My converted epub still are one flowting text in pages but no page breaks at chapter i.e. Is that a function of converting (PDF-EPUP with Calibre) or setting (FBReader)

Tried the search but no hints where and how, chapters are seperated with a pagebreak using 360 with FBReader. Maybe the PDF already has to have seperated breaked Chapters. I see the next chapter of the book as it has a big letter topic. But it comes in the middle of the text, no seperation with a pagebreak.

Thanks for the answers
Schnitzelbrain
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #98
GrayNM
flat square cat
GrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheeseGrayNM can extract oil from cheese

Schnitzelbrain
Hmm, SciFiFan page break patch should work without any configuration.
Can you send me an example EPUB file with that problem?
Mail to graynm76[at]gmail.com
Old 05-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #99
GrayNM
flat square cat

Version 0.9.0

Version 0.9.0

* added new footnote mode: small footnotes can be displayed in baloon dialog
* small fixes

Schnitzelbrain
It looks like there is some problem with processing of EPUB file with that structure.
Especially when each chapter is placed to separate file.
I'm still not understand why.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #100
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Wow... a new update so soon??
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #101
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Thank you very much.
You implement improvements in small steps, so we do not see the difference from the original FBReader. Recently I used the original FBReader, so I could compare the device to the PB302 and I realized how much incredible stuff you have added.

By the way, will the graynm version of FBReader work on PB302?
PB302 does not have up, down, left, right keys so some things are implemented by gestures. Are gestures serviced by operating system or by FBReader itself?

It is a shame I am unable to give you Karma again. You keep releasing faster than I am allowed to give you Karma ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #102
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Quote:
Version 0.9.0

* added new footnote mode: small footnotes can be displayed in baloon dialog
* small fixes

Schnitzelbrain
It looks like there is some problem with processing of EPUB file with that structure.
Especially when each chapter is placed to separate file.
I'm still not understand why.

great that the development process goes on.

Thats why I thought that my conversion process is maybe the problem. Is there maybe preferred setting to use with calibre PDF-EPUB conversion?
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:27 AM   #103
GrayNM
flat square cat

kacir
Alas, I have not much free time for large changes.
Several guys are using FBReader180 on PB302. They say that it works in the main.
Gestures are processed by OS.

Schnitzelbrain
I don't know. I didn't cook EPUB.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:34 AM   #104
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Alas, I have not much free time for large changes.
I did not say the changes were not big or important.

I was trying to say that we get the changes step-by-step, and that I haven't realized how much you added, until I went back to the original PocketBook version. This is because I start using every new version you provide immediately, so I only notice the improvement from *previous* (already improved) version.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #105
GrayNM
flat square cat

kacir
I understand.