Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Reader Store - New Periodical

International Herald Tribune is now available in the Reader Store.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
WHY are there SO few periodicals in e-formats?

Novels and text books are all that are routinely available. Too few magazines are available in electronic format readable by e-book devices such as Sony Reader, Nook, etc
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I think this will change very soon...
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

care to share some more insider details?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 AM   #5
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie102 View Post
WHY are there SO few periodicals in e-formats?
Probably because the devices are not capable of giving them justice (yet). Take a look at this video from Wired Magazine: http://www.wired.com/video/wired-mag...al/66775419001

That's what a digital magazine / paper should be like.

I'm not knocking ereaders. I love my 600, and it's great for what I use it for - reading books.
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Where are the automated RSS feeds?! I'd really like that as an option
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
jessie102
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamadams View Post
Probably because the devices are not capable of giving them justice (yet). Take a look at this video from Wired Magazine: http://www.wired.com/video/wired-mag...al/66775419001

That's what a digital magazine / paper should be like.

I'm not knocking ereaders. I love my 600, and it's great for what I use it for - reading books.
that looks great but will require a full fledged netbook class processor in order to run all the animations, mirasol/pixelq/color e-ink display and wifi for connectivity. Not something affordable in the e-reader price range today.

I would be happy with reflowed versions of all magazines today. I don't care about multi-columned formating, please just give us a single column reflowed version of the magazines available today.

I don't see how is can be so difficult to do considering reflow in Adobe zoom works so well.

Just give us a pre-reflowed versions for those ereaders without reflow functions and every eink reader will be happy and publishers will get their money.

Otherwise we'll just have to resort to less legal means.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
jessie102
Addict

this generation of music listeners are happy to comprise with lossy mp3 formats over PCM lossless CDs for convenience, that catapulted Apples iTunes to heights of success. Surely given the same advantages of convenience on ereaders, same success can be achieved for magazine formats.

Last edited by jessie102; 02-19-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
mboothe
mboothe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
Magaines are available now. Five so far. Just downloaded 'PC World'. I think this will be HUGE!
mboothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
jessie102
Addict

I'm waiting for Scientific American, New Scientist, Audiophile, Time and Playboy (j/k, thats the only area where i won't agrue that e-ink can't do it justice)
Old 02-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hopefully The Economist will show up soon.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #12
jessie102
Addict

in case anyone doesn't know, there's a link to make title requests:

http://ebookstore.sony.com/title-suggestion/
Old 02-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:

Thanks. Submitted a request.

Karma to you again. System won't let me give you more yet.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #14
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:

I did not even know that existed.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote