Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Lyvanthrope
Lyvanthrope can extract oil from cheeseLyvanthrope can extract oil from cheeseLyvanthrope can extract oil from cheeseLyvanthrope can extract oil from cheeseLyvanthrope can extract oil from cheeseLyvanthrope can extract oil from cheeseLyvanthrope can extract oil from cheeseLyvanthrope can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW
Question Change Waterstones Kindle to Standard

Hi Folks

Being in Belgium I couldn't by a Kindle Paperwhite from Amazon, but instead got one from the Waterstones bookshop here in town. What I didn't know when I bought it was that the software is Waterstones branded and I'm missing out on the standard Amazon sleep screens. This really annoys me.

Now I've seen plenty of threads about hacking the picture, but what I really want is to convert my Kindle into a standard Amazon Kindle.

Is this possible, perhaps by factory installing with a suitable firmware image?

Cheers
Dave
Lyvanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyvanthrope View Post
Hi Folks

Being in Belgium I couldn't by a Kindle Paperwhite from Amazon, but instead got one from the Waterstones bookshop here in town. What I didn't know when I bought it was that the software is Waterstones branded and I'm missing out on the standard Amazon sleep screens. This really annoys me.

Now I've seen plenty of threads about hacking the picture, but what I really want is to convert my Kindle into a standard Amazon Kindle.

Is this possible, perhaps by factory installing with a suitable firmware image?

Cheers
Dave
it is simpler than that, and is posted somewhere on here already.
try searching the site - I don't know the link myself.

ps: "HowTo" is for directions on doing something not for: "HowTo ? " (questions)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Might I ask... What exactly is the "other" things that you want adjusting other than the picture?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Lyvanthrope
Lyvanthrope can extract oil from cheeseLyvanthrope can extract oil from cheeseLyvanthrope can extract oil from cheeseLyvanthrope can extract oil from cheeseLyvanthrope can extract oil from cheeseLyvanthrope can extract oil from cheeseLyvanthrope can extract oil from cheeseLyvanthrope can extract oil from cheese

Sorry about the "HowTo", I realised I'd got that wrong when the post went up, but I couldn't edit it. Seems you've done that for me now, thank you.

I'd just like the screen saver set to "normal" and I thought to replace the firmware with a UK standard one would solve the problem for good. Just an idea, maybe a dumb one
Old 04-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
The firmwares are identical, so that won't help. The "waterstones status" is tied to the serial number of the Kindle - once you register the device, it will automatically pull the Waterstones branding - there's nothing you can do about it, except a) not registering the kindle or b) following the advice in the other threads on that topic.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Lyvanthrope

How irksome... But you fully answered my query, thanks!

Tags
paperwhite, screen saver, waterstones