Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Is my Nook Classic dead?

The other day, I pulled my Nook Classic out its sleeve and noticed that the entire screen was black, save for several lines on the screen that run vertical and parallel, and a dead spot on the bottom left corner. The lines and spot have been there for awhile, but the blackness is new. I've tried looking up the problem and any possible solutions, and while I have found that others have come across this same issue, no one seems to have any clue how to fix it - if it even can be fixed. I've tried charging it, and restarting it and while the LED indicator at the bottom glows to show a charge and blinks when I try to restart it, the screen remains unresponsive. I am at a loss as to what more I can do to try to fix it. Does anyone have any possible solutions to my problem? Or is my Nook dead?
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
sneakyspider
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's working now. I'm so relieved. I think that the battery was just very, very low, because after I left it to charge for awhile it went into startup mode and seems to be working fine now.

Edit: Just for curiosities sake - my Nook's battery tends to run down quite a lot, even when in standby. Is this normal for the Nook, or could it be the result of a faulty battery?

Last edited by sneakyspider; 01-04-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The PRS-T1 goes to a blank screen then it runs out of power. I didn't know that until I plugged it into the computer and it started because it had power from the USB.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
It's working now. I'm so relieved. I think that the battery was just very, very low, because after I left it to charge for awhile it went into startup mode and seems to be working fine now.

Edit: Just for curiosities sake - my Nook's battery tends to run down quite a lot, even when in standby. Is this normal for the Nook, or could it be the result of a faulty battery?
Battery life on the nook classic is not very good, it was not great when it was announced, and it is rather mediocre by today's standards. I could get 3 or 4 days per charge, whereas I get 3 weeks on my nook glow.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
sneakyspider

I try to charge it as often as I can, so I'm not exactly sure how long mine can go, but it seems like I get 1 - 2 days on one charge. I could be wrong, though. Either way, it's not my primary ereader - I just bought it off of eBay for $30 because I wanted something that had more memory and also had an eink screen. I just bought a Kindle 3, though, for $39 and that has 4G storage. I could have done without it, but I'm glad it still works. It's always nice to have a backup (or four.)

Last edited by sneakyspider; 01-04-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
Battery life on the Nook classic has always been low. Reading on it for a modest 3 hours would suck out 25% of the battery life. Leaving the Nook on standby would drain 5% or more from the battery in one day.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
Just for curiosities sake - my Nook's battery tends to run down quite a lot, even when in standby. Is this normal for the Nook, or could it be the result of a faulty battery?
My Nook classic is quite the opposite.
It "survives" sheer endlessly in standby. Easily 2 or more months.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-09-2013 at 09:11 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshzilla View Post
Leaving the Nook on standby would drain 5% or more from the battery in one day.
Not on mine. I haven't used my Nook classic for maybe 2 months. When loading some books, it still was charged >50%.
My guess: I took out the SIM card, exclusively using WiFi (I had a hack installed 2 years ago, to use my German SIM but don't do this anymore due to lack of SIM cards). Maybe the SIM card drains the battery drastically faster?
I've had the same with my Kindles.
The first 2 (Kindle 2 + DX) had been US only. So I couldn't use 3G in Germany and the batteries easily made 2 months in standby.
On Kindle 3 and Kindle DXG, both international versions, I make way less. 3G checking for updates or stuff like that seems the most plausible explanation.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote