Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Sharing Books Via SD Card?

I have a cousin in Miami (I'm in Atlanta) who recently bought a PRS-505. I dont want to share account with her but she wants to read some of my books; will putting them on an SD card and giving her the card work?
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I personally have never tried trading SD cards with another 505 user (<sigh> I have yet to even meet another 505 user) but I don't think it should be a problem. You don't have to do anything special when you insert the card into your reader and I would expect your cousin to have the same experience - plug-and-read.

Maybe someone in a multi-505 household can give this a shot to confirm.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
DailyPlanet
This world is not my home
DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Oasis 2
Only Non DRM'ed books will work, such as those available on this fine site
DailyPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hmm, Logicely Should Work?

If both Readers ae registered to the same account? Shouldn't the DRM protected files then work.

Is the DRM tied to the account or to the specific device like Mobpocket?

I' not sure as I never bought any files from Sony, so if someone with a couple of them could try it out and commet, it may give us an answer.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post

If both Readers ae registered to the same account? Shouldn't the DRM protected files then work.

I' not sure as I never bought any files from Sony, so if someone with a couple of them could try it out and commet, it may give us an answer.
Her reader is not registered to mine account, nor would I ever share an account with anyone. I'm reading some self help books that are very private; that's why I love my reader, I can read in public with privacy!
Old 08-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post

The DRM is tied to an account, which in turn is associated with up to 6 devices (PCs or Readers). This includes at least one PC, because you need to dl DRM'd ebooks first and then transfer them to a Reader (or read them on the PC).

So basically, the DRM is tied to the up to 6 devices associated with a single account. You can't transfer DRM'd books between devices unless they're registered on the same account. That would defeat the entire purpose of DRM!

Another option might be to borrow ebooks from a local library. Check the Wiki for details--Miami does have ebook lending.

Last edited by DrMoze; 08-23-2008 at 06:24 PM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
The DRM is tied to an account, which in turn is associated with up to 6 devices (PCs or Readers). This includes at least one PC, because you need to dl DRM'd ebooks first and then transfer them to a Reader (or read them on the PC).

So basically, the DRM is tied to the up to 6 devices associated with a single account. You can't transfer DRM'd books between devices unless they're registered on the same account. That would defeat the entire purpose of DRM!
Thanks for the answer. I guess she will not be reading most of my books. I do have some Lit ones I converted but 80% of mine books are bought from Sony.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:19 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are ever at her computer, you can register her reader to your account. As long as she doesn't have the password, she can read the books you lend her. Then when she wants to read her DRM books, she can just reauthorize her 505 to her account. Of course, you might be able to do this from remote accessing her computer. Your password is not saved in the eBook Library software.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote