Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #31
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
My Kindle Fire HD. I just ordered my first magazine, and I was very impressed. I love it you can switch back and forth between page view and regular view. There are some knitting magazines I want to keep in paper form, but I think all the rest will be electronic, now.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #32
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
You can get a free two-week trial for most of the big newspapers and magazines. I was skeptical too, but I actually find it a pleasant read.
If available I'll experiment with the trial. No question, E Ink would be preferred. Alas, the Kindle version is not included in the digital subscription of my newspaper (NY Times), in other words, I would have to cancel my existing subscription before switching over to the Kindle.

Quote:
Actually, due to the fact that the file is pre-loaded, it is a much smoother and faster 'flipping through pages' than if you use the WSJ or FT apps on tablets - which are usually downloading in the background while you try to read and constantly hiccup.
Fortunately the NYT Android App downloads updated content in one batch (optionally including image thumbnails).
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #33
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenye View Post
in other words, I would have to cancel my existing subscription before switching over to the Kindle
No need to cancel before taking the free trial...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #34
Sirman
Sirman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
i-pad! Prefer the larger screen size.
Sirman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #35
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
iPad 3 all the way. Most of my subscriptions, and I have plenty, are via Zinio.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #36
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I read magazines on my iPad.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #37
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I use my Nook for subscriptions. I had a couple of expensive subscriptions on my Kindle. After nearly a year, my Kindle broke. I was assured that everything would transfer to the Kindle. Guess what - magazine subscriptions DO NOT. They are assigned to the specific kindle. So, I lost out -many of these mags (Ellery Queen, Asimov), I didn't even get to read because my late Dad was so ill during that year. Amazon replaced the Kindle under warranty, but I didn't find out about DRM removal until some time later and don't have the serial number for the original one (I bought it at Target).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #38
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Favorite magazine app is Pulse on any device handy - desktop, Android, iOS, whatever.
I just discovered Pulse a couple weeks ago. Couldn't believe such a great app was available for my Nook. I like my Nook a lot more now!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #39
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Zinio on my iPad3. I guess I could also install Zinio on my Nexus 7, but don't see much of a point to doing so, since for magazines, I prefer the larger screen real estate.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I just discovered Pulse a couple weeks ago. Couldn't believe such a great app was available for my Nook. I like my Nook a lot more now!
It's fantastic! It gives me all the magazine content I want for free. As a result, I don't have to spend money on magazine subscriptions.

IMO, Pulse is much better than Flipboard and Currents.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:15 AM   #41
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Is anyone still using RSS feeds?

It's my main news source beside my favorite daily newspaper.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #42
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
If available I'll experiment with the trial. No question, E Ink would be preferred. Alas, the Kindle version is not included in the digital subscription of my newspaper (NY Times), in other words, I would have to cancel my existing subscription before switching over to the Kindle.

Fortunately the NYT Android App ...
If you would be happy with Calibre's NY Times, then there's no need to buy a Kindle subscription. Your smartphone digital subscription will allow Calibre to assemble a NY Times newspaper each day.

When I had both a Kindle subscription and a digital subscription about a year ago, I compared Calibre's edition with Kindle's on a K3. They were almost identical, and the only differences I saw could be attributed to the time of assembly.

Downsides to Calibre's version vs. Kindle's:
- no 3G delivery (alternatively you could set up a server and fetch via 3G)
- your PC must run Calibre each day and be attached to the internet (you could leave it all running when away on vacation).
- your Kindle must attach to wi-fi to get the newspaper delivered.

Neutral:
- time of assembly affects content. So you could tweak Calibre's assembly to occur closer to when you read.

Advantages: free!
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #43
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Is anyone still using RSS feeds?

It's my main news source beside my favorite daily newspaper.
Sometimes, when I have a liot of down time, I still do. But I usually check out my go-to sites instead of waiting for an app to update the feeds.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #44
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I use my Nook ST to read Ellergy Queen or Asimov's science fiction. Since there aren't any pictures, it works perfect.

I use my computer to read the quilting or cross stitch magazines - craft magazines just don't work on small, non-color devices. The print is just too tiny. I think even someone with an Ipad would struggle with the craft magazines. You need a laptop or larger.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #45
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's fantastic! It gives me all the magazine content I want for free. As a result, I don't have to spend money on magazine subscriptions.

IMO, Pulse is much better than Flipboard and Currents.
I like Pulse.. tried it today..
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote