Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #451
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
So are you telling me you can choose where to install your Apps or games on tablet like on a PC ?

I know for a fact that all games and Apps on my nexus 7 which is a android tablet automatically install on the internal memory. the folder there actually stored in is INVISIBLE unless you root the device so i presume all android devices follow this pattern.

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-06-2012 at 11:59 AM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #452
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
Even with a micro sd card, 8gb is laughable as you CANT install Apps or games on the micro SD, only on the internal storage of the device.

Considering the latest games are over 1.3 gb + large these days u would not get much on one.
Micro sd cards are only good for media on tablets.They simply wont solve all your storage problems as once you hit your internal memory max then there's no more Apps for poor Johny
8GB is fairly ginormous app space by Android standards. Yes, you could find a few large games to fill it, but you could also have something like 1000 average-sized apps on there. Granted, I'm not sure if the entire 8GB is available for apps on the N7.

As for SD cards, moving apps to SD has been a standard feature since Android 2.3. You can do it via Settings>Applications>Manage Applications or use the application manager in a third party app like Elixir. On a device with as much storage as the N7 I would only do it for those mammoth games. If an app includes widgets, the widgets will not work if the app files are on the SD.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #453
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Not entirely true. On tablets with a good amount of internal storage the APP2SD feature is turned off so all your SD card holds is media and data. There are ways around that using root and certain utilites. My ASUS Transformer and Galaxy Tab 2 will not allow me to install applications on the SD card. When you go into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications the Move to SD button isn't even available. I have the same situation with my Galaxy Note.

I don't like to root, simply because I'm a klutz and will mostly end up bricking my device. I always miss the most crucial part of the process. Hence, I'm constantly looking out for alternative methods. For example I'd like to move my books and Google Maps to the SD card so they don't take up space on the internal memory.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #454
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes it's the same on the nexus 7 ,no option to move Apps.But i use nexus media importer(no ROOTING) to connect my 64Gb SanDisk ultra via OTG cable so i have 73Gb total Usable storage when i leave the house + 3gb on dropbox for all my ebooks which are accessed via moon+reader pro.

I can also copy over files from my memory card to the internal storage.

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=fZ7nlsAYZ2o#!

google play store
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...importer&hl=en

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-06-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #455
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Huh. If the Nexus 7 forbids moving apps (50/50 odds for non-factory installed apps, even if it did) to the internal data partition, that's even more reason to avoid it. Means it only has, what?, 1GB for app installation on the 8GB model? (and like 5.5GB for data)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #456
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
So are you telling me you can choose where to install your Apps or games on tablet like on a PC ?

I know for a fact that all games and Apps on my nexus 7 which is a android tablet automatically install on the internal memory. the folder there actually stored in is INVISIBLE unless you root the device so i presume all android devices follow this pattern.
Yes. Most apps can be installed on the external memory. Your Nexus 7 doesn't have external memory, so of course you can't install there. Duh.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #457
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Huh. If the Nexus 7 forbids moving apps (50/50 odds for non-factory installed apps, even if it did) to the internal data partition, that's even more reason to avoid it. Means it only has, what?, 1GB for app installation on the 8GB model? (and like 5.5GB for data)
New devices are usually partitioned so that there is no division between apps and data. There is one single partition for both, and you fill it up as you see fit. Previously (Gingerbread and earlier) you had separate partitions for data and apps and it was a bad compromise - some people want more apps, others want more data. That's no longer the case, though there have been a few manufacturers with recent versions of Android which have gone the old route, but that's more the exception than the norm.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #458
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
SD is the deal breaker.

Look at it this way friends.

If they are going to screw you on the SD slot, then of course they will screw you on the memory partition, the amount of memory and every other thing they can think of to corral you up in the f***ing cloud and do those things we usually think of UFO types doing to humans they encounter and take away for a while.

Talk to my buddy, the old pilot, in "Independence Day." He can tell you...
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #459
darksaber35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Well your wrong there as i have well over 6gb + worth of apps and no games installed rite now i had 8gb of apps before until i did a bit of culling.I have 2 Apps called Alpinequest GPS and Trekbudy which total over 5gb of very high detailed topographical maps installed plus a host around 40+ more apps.

As afv011 mentioned there is no problem with partitioning.
As to what you spend your money on i simply dont care , you could buy a ipad 3 and become a hipster if you so wish But your tablet life stile will become alot more expensive as plenty of the Apps on google play that are free you have to pay for on Itunes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-10-06-22-50-56.png
Views:	239
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	93564  

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-06-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #460
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Yes. Most apps can be installed on the external memory. Your Nexus 7 doesn't have external memory, so of course you can't install there. Duh.
Haha, you know when he brought up the N7 w/ regard to apps on SD, I totally forgot that the whole point of this thread is that the N7 doesn't have an SD slot

ETA: and this portion of the discussion is swaying me back toward steering clear of this tablet. I'll be waiting to see how CM9/10 work on the new Nook HDs.

Last edited by taosaur; 10-07-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #461
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
I have 2 Apps called Alpinequest GPS and Trekbudy which total over 5gb of very high detailed topographical maps installed plus a host around 40+ more apps.
See, if you're going to keep reference materials like maps or offline encyclopedias on a tablet, expandable storage is a must. The apps aren't taking up 5GB; it's their reference data (the maps) which would be stored on SD if one were available. I have offline maps on my Nook Color, too, but they don't put a dent in my 2GB app partitions because the maps are on my 32GB SD. You're not suffering from inadequate app space; you're suffering directly from the lack of an SD slot.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #462
taosaur
intelligent posterior

I hate to add a third post in a row to the tail of this thread, but it seems like a meaningful update; the Nook HD+ put this matter to rest for me. I said again and again that I wouldn't be buying a tablet this year, but the combination of that screen (higher res than my 22" monitor), the SD slot, and a successful method for getting Google Play on there put me over the line.

The SD slot makes everything so much easier. I have a 64GB card in the mail, but in the meantime I just pop in the 32GB card from my Nook Color and all my books and comics are right there, along with my Titanium Backup folder of all my apps. The HD+ routes the /sdcard partition to internal storage, with the actual SD at /ext_sdcard, so apps will save data to the internal storage by default, but in most apps that can be addressed in settings and in the meantime you can swap out cards easily without scrambling your apps. The card slot is also much more accessible than the old Nook design--it's one of the better designs I've seen for a secure yet accessible memory card on any mobile device.

Last edited by taosaur; 11-26-2012 at 06:15 PM.